Jump to content
chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

For what it's worth, our Governor (who is empowering the no-mask folks with his changes here) is now prioritizing vaccination of teachers as well.

There seems to be broad support for vaccinating teachers. Probably because most recognize that it's about as good a way as any to ensure all schools reopen sooner rather than later.

Most recognize it's a good way to make everyone feel better.  Biden, with CDC support, stated that vaccines were not necessary to reopen the schools. So please don't pretend there is any science stating teachers are more at risk than others.   And again, i'm not arguing that teachers should be at the back of the line, just that if we're going strictly on science, there is still legitimate debate on who to select first when dealing with limited supplies.  My only point with Florida is they specifically targeted Seniors, on purpose.  As every age group of Americans have some rich people in them, it stands to reason that rich seniors were in fact some of the first to receive the vaccine in Florida.  It looks like the news is digging into this and the campaign contribution is legitimate evidence to account for further scrutiny, but it's far from an open and shut case.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Exactly.

And they just uncoved 2 more communities of extremely wealthy Florida residents who also got the vaccine ahead of millions of other citizens. And yes, they were all developments of the same guy, who gave hundreds of thousands of dollars to the governor. Corruption, pure and simple. I guess it can be spun any way Fox News wants to spin it.

Do you have a link?  And note i'm not trying to spin this in anyway.  It deserves scrutiny and luckily for the State of Florida, the news is investigating it.  But I find it funny that I've pointed out things done by Cuomo and Whitmer and you folks laugh it off.  Heck, some of you still deny it (putting Covid patients into nursing homes), but you see a headline on a guy with an (R) and he's guilty.  Finally a little scrutiny on Cuomo and we realize Covid didn't change him, he's still a horrible person/politician.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

I'm pretty much done with caring about Texas and what they do there.    Sure, it's over.........no disease anymore, all is fine, everything is just fine, nothing to worry about.    

 

 

(COVID is never fully going away, just like the plague never did, but if we can be smart we can make it minor annoyance, if not, we can have Texas -- their problem now, not mine).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Most recognize it's a good way to make everyone feel better.  Biden, with CDC support, stated that vaccines were not necessary to reopen the schools. So please don't pretend there is any science stating teachers are more at risk than others.   And again, i'm not arguing that teachers should be at the back of the line, just that if we're going strictly on science, there is still legitimate debate on who to select first when dealing with limited supplies.     

I love the spin Fox News puts on this subject. Yes, the CDC and many experts all agree we can open schools safely. Under certain circumstance. Ventilation upgrades, masks, social distancing and vaccines. They always leave out the inconvenient parts.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

 But I find it funny that I've pointed out things done by Cuomo and Whitmer and you folks laugh it off.  Heck, some of you still deny it (putting Covid patients into nursing homes), but you see a headline on a guy with an (R) and he's guilty.  Finally a little scrutiny on Cuomo and we realize Covid didn't change him, he's still a horrible person/politician.

Whataboutem excuses again. Look a cat!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm pretty much done with caring about Texas and what they do there.    Sure, it's over.........no disease anymore, all is fine, everything is just fine, nothing to worry about.    

 

 

(COVID is never fully going away, just like the plague never did, but if we can be smart we can make it minor annoyance, if not, we can have Texas -- their problem now, not mine).  

Yes, I see your point. But what Texas (and the other red states) does affects the rest of the country. There's only 2 reasons they would eliminate the mask mandate.

 1. They're stupid and don't listen to a single health expert. Or..

2. They're playing politics and trying to backtrack the strides the democrats make. Even if it keeps the pandemic going and kills thousands of people. Then they will point at Biden and say it's his fault. And all the good Trumpers will believe them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the CDC;

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/operation-strategy.html

 

The following public health efforts provide additional layers of COVID-19 prevention in schools:

  • Testing to identify individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection to limit transmission and outbreaks
  • Vaccination for teachers and school staff, and in communities, as soon as supply allows

Health Equity Considerations

The absence of in-person educational options may disadvantage children from low-resourced communities, which may include large representation of racial and ethnic minority groups, English learners, and students with disabilities. Plans for safe delivery of in-person instruction in K-12 schools must consider efforts to promote fair access to healthy educational environments for students and staff. Thus, essential elements of school reopening plans should take into account the communities and groups that have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19 infections and severe outcomes. Schools play a critical role in promoting equity in education and health for groups disproportionately affected by COVID-19.

Essential Elements of Safe K-12 School In-person Instruction

  1. Mitigation strategies to reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in schools

Regardless of the level of community transmission, all schools should use and layer mitigation strategies. Five key mitigation strategies are essential to safe delivery of in-person instruction and help to mitigate COVID-19 transmission in schools:

Schools providing in-person instruction should prioritize two mitigation strategies:

  1. Universal and correct use of masks should be required, at all levels of community transmission. Require consistent and correct use of face masks, by all students, teachers, and staff to prevent SARS-CoV-2 transmission through respiratory droplets.
  2. Physical distancing (at least 6 feet) should be maximized to the greatest extent possible. To ensure physical distancing, schools should establish policies and implement structural interventions to promote physical distance of at least 6 feet between people. Cohorting or podding is recommended to minimize exposure across the school environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Biden, with CDC support, stated that vaccines were not necessary to reopen the schools. 

OK?

 I'm just making the point that it seems completely rational that, given how essential schools are, that teachers are treated accordingly in terms of how vaccines are distributed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, I see your point. But what Texas (and the other red states) does affects the rest of the country. There's only 2 reasons they would eliminate the mask mandate.

 1. They're stupid and don't listen to a single health expert. Or..

2. They're playing politics and trying to backtrack the strides the democrats make. Even if it keeps the pandemic going and kills thousands of people. Then they will point at Biden and say it's his fault. And all the good Trumpers will believe them.

3. They're playing politics by messaging to their base after the winter storm/power grid fiasco

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

(COVID is never fully going away, just like the plague never did, but if we can be smart we can make it minor annoyance, if not, we can have Texas -- their problem now, not mine).  

I see a different set of scenarios. Because this disease is so contagious, and also so innocuous to most young people, what would happen if we did absolutely nothing is that in a couple of generations or so, every young person would have had it, then they might get again multiple times in a lifetime and each time probably less severe as their long term immune response is triggered each time, and so what you would have would be basically another common cold. In fact all the coronavirus common colds probably started out this way somewhere in history, with an initial burst of virulence and the death of the people who were uniquely susceptible,  and then an eventual fade into milder annoyance. With a world wide vaccination program the virus could be stamped out completely - that depends mainly on whether there is some animal species that will act as a reservoir that we can't eliminate. But either way if the virus does remain in circulation and the young keep getting it and spreading it, the whole the population will eventually have resistance by virtue of exposure at a young age  - it just might be a few decades! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I see a different set of scenarios. Because this disease is so contagious, and also so innocuous to most young people, what would happen if we did absolutely nothing is that in a couple of generations or so, every young person would have had it, then they might get again multiple times in a lifetime and each time probably less severe as their long term immune response is triggered each time, and so what you would have would be basically another common cold. In fact all the coronavirus common colds probably started out this way somewhere in history, with an initial burst of virulence and the death of the people who were uniquely susceptible,  and then an eventual fade into milder annoyance. With a world wide vaccination program the virus could be stamped out completely - that depends mainly on whether there is some animal species that will act as a reservoir that we can't eliminate. But either way if the virus does remain in circulation and the young keep getting it and spreading it, the whole the population will eventually have resistance by virtue of exposure at a young age  - it just might be a few decades! 

I understand that, but so many diseases we don't even think about anymore still exist (polio, measles, smallpox, the plague, the H1N1 Flu from 1918) and so many of us vaccinated for those things in this country that it stopped being a worry until Andrew Wakefield came along with his phony science (he was researching on behalf of a lawsuit and had an agenda going into his "research").   It's not like COVID is going to give up and go away and even though the vaccine deniers seem to be shrinking, it might not be enough.   All for politics.   So stupid.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

So in reading that, i'm not entirely sure there is anything new here.  In the previous article it stated there were 15 sites which targeted seniors and bypassed state/county guidelines in an effort to get shots quickly into the arms of seniors, which again, has led the nation with getting shots into the arms of those with the biggest cost to bear.   We know one had the richest, meanest, slave owning descendant group of people get it at that one place, but It stated 9 of 15 were in two blue counties, so stands to reason probably a few of these were in red counties.  Red counties tend to support republicans.   

I like how you claim i'm giving what Biden said with some "FoxNews Spin", than you post CDC guidelines which says nothing about several of the things you claim (ventilation updates, only certain circumstances) and in terms of vaccines, just states teachers should get them when supply allows.  Guess what, the CDC is recommending for me, a guy in his 40's with no pre-existing conditions?  You'd be right if you said 'get it when supply allows'.   Here in Michigan Whitmer has repeatedly claimed in the last few months that the "Science" says we can go back to school and hence has been pushing for back to school.  Michigan went a different route and prioritized teachers as well, but even before that, consistently said schools weren't spreaders and they were safe.  Seems like she contradicted herself, but we know that you can't contradict "Science", so I obviously just don't fully understand and that's my own fault.

I like the whataboutism claim too.  I have consistently made it clear Whitmer deserved to be held accountable and while I couldn't disagree with much of what she was doing, I didn't like that it wasn't transparent to us.  I didn't understand the love fest with Cuomo and honestly felt Whitmer mostly played follow the leader with him, which even on this site I have stated that when you're faced with something new, sometimes that is the best road to go down.  I have praised her a ton as well.  I also said I wasn't against an investigation into Desantis, but you guys would put him behind bars and it's quite possible that the people of Florida were better served with how he handled Covid than other states with Democrats in charge were served.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2.9 million vaccinated today, 20% higher than the previous record. 

edit: it took 35 seconds from the time I hit save for this to post. The server they moved this board to is trash. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yoda said:

2.9 million vaccinated today, 20% higher than the previous record. 

edit: it took 35 seconds from the time I hit save for this to post. The server they moved this board to is trash. 

I thought it was just me, others are having problems too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ewsieg said:

So in reading that, i'm not entirely sure there is anything new here.  In the previous article it stated there were 15 sites which targeted seniors and bypassed state/county guidelines in an effort to get shots quickly into the arms of seniors, which again, has led the nation with getting shots into the arms of those with the biggest cost to bear.   We know one had the richest, meanest, slave owning descendant group of people get it at that one place, but It stated 9 of 15 were in two blue counties, so stands to reason probably a few of these were in red counties.  Red counties tend to support republicans.   

I like how you claim i'm giving what Biden said with some "FoxNews Spin", than you post CDC guidelines which says nothing about several of the things you claim (ventilation updates, only certain circumstances) and in terms of vaccines, just states teachers should get them when supply allows.  Guess what, the CDC is recommending for me, a guy in his 40's with no pre-existing conditions?  You'd be right if you said 'get it when supply allows'.   Here in Michigan Whitmer has repeatedly claimed in the last few months that the "Science" says we can go back to school and hence has been pushing for back to school.  Michigan went a different route and prioritized teachers as well, but even before that, consistently said schools weren't spreaders and they were safe.  Seems like she contradicted herself, but we know that you can't contradict "Science", so I obviously just don't fully understand and that's my own fault.

I like the whataboutism claim too.  I have consistently made it clear Whitmer deserved to be held accountable and while I couldn't disagree with much of what she was doing, I didn't like that it wasn't transparent to us.  I didn't understand the love fest with Cuomo and honestly felt Whitmer mostly played follow the leader with him, which even on this site I have stated that when you're faced with something new, sometimes that is the best road to go down.  I have praised her a ton as well.  I also said I wasn't against an investigation into Desantis, but you guys would put him behind bars and it's quite possible that the people of Florida were better served with how he handled Covid than other states with Democrats in charge were served.

Did you see that cat? How about those Dodgers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I see a different set of scenarios. Because this disease is so contagious, and also so innocuous to most young people...

This particular virus seems to be especially prone to mutation; it may become more benign or more virulent, it may remain mild towards the young or more deadly. It may become resistant to the vaccines. It is so important to slow the spread as much as possible to minimize possible mutations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Did you see that cat? How about those Dodgers?

smooth deflection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Longgone said:

This particular virus seems to be especially prone to mutation; it may become more benign or more virulent, it may remain mild towards the young or more deadly. It may become resistant to the vaccines. It is so important to slow the spread as much as possible to minimize possible mutations.

this is true. It drives me crazy that so many folks want to drop discipline with infection rates still above 10/100K, which to me is double minimum you want to see before opening up. Three weeks ago it looked like the whole country might hit 5/100k in just a couple more weeks, now much of that downward momentum is lost in most of the country, and too many places, including SE MI, are already backsliding - which is just doubly stupid with with the vaccines already here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

this is true. It drives me crazy that so many folks want to drop discipline with infection rates still above 10/100K, which to me is double minimum you want to see before opening up. Three weeks ago it looked like the whole country might hit 5/100k in just a couple more weeks, now much of that downward momentum is lost in most of the country, and too many places, including SE MI, are already backsliding - which is just doubly stupid with with the vaccines already here.

 

20210307_110031.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I also think it’s fair to open things up when things got better in terms of numbers.  Are the increase in numbers due to that alone or is there a variant floating around the Detroit area?  Vaccinations have skyrocketed the last few weeks so I would think by the end of March we should start to see the real effects of that. 
 

my wife has started to see a lot of return patients now.  People had covid months ago but heart and lung issues persisted. Keep that in mind when you hear of the “survivors”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

But I also think it’s fair to open things up when things got better in terms of numbers.  Are the increase in numbers due to that alone or is there a variant floating around the Detroit area?  Vaccinations have skyrocketed the last few weeks so I would think by the end of March we should start to see the real effects of that. 
 

my wife has started to see a lot of return patients now.  People had covid months ago but heart and lung issues persisted. Keep that in mind when you hear of the “survivors”. 

That's pretty scary stuff. The people who think we should let it spread to reach herd immunity should get this message. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oblong said:

my wife has started to see a lot of return patients now.  People had covid months ago but heart and lung issues persisted. Keep that in mind when you hear of the “survivors”. 

They're estimating that there will be 1 million long term patients here - out of a population of 60-70 million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

 

20210307_110031.jpg

Ohio announced on Friday what the numerical criteria was for ending the COVID health orders. A two week stretch of no more than 50 cases per 100,000 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      97,066
    • Total Posts
      3,066,017
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...