Jump to content
chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

My mom is 66 with a lot of issues that was make here immuno-compromised (asthma, high blood pressure, diabetes) and she hasn’t had any luck yet. My dad got his first shot last week through Meijer. He put his name in about a week before she did, so I’m hoping she hears something soon. 

Thats so weird how each state handles the rollout. My Dad signed up less than two weeks ago and got his 1st shot last friday. He is 73 with no real problems. In fact everyone I know thats 65+ in Indiana has gotten at least one if not both of their shots already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

38 minutes ago, Oblong said:

if there's people out there who are in their 60's and still doing everything they can to get a shot and suddenly seeing it expand.

🙋‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad got his second shot yesterday morning;  So, I texted to see how things went.

Me:  Get your **** yet?

Me again:  Shot?

Dad:  Sure as ****.

Several hours later.....

Me:  How are you feeling?

Dad:  Arm sore, little achy.

Me:  No nausea or chills?

Dad:  Nope.

.... two hours later.....

Dad:  Well this has been UGLY.

Me:  ?

..... hour later.....

Dad:  Illinois kicked Michigan all over the court.

OK, he's fine.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Thats so weird how each state handles the rollout. My Dad signed up less than two weeks ago and got his 1st shot last friday. He is 73 with no real problems. In fact everyone I know thats 65+ in Indiana has gotten at least one if not both of their shots already.

I think it's not the states but the entities that the states distribute them to.... Detroit has opened theirs up to a broader group of residents and now have a program where if you take an eligible person to get it then you are able to as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I think it's not the states but the entities that the states distribute them to.... Detroit has opened theirs up to a broader group of residents and now have a program where if you take an eligible person to get it then you are able to as well.

 

It is super easy here. In Fort Wayne you can signup online, pick a location you want then select date and time, your done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Casimir said:

My dad got his second shot yesterday morning;  So, I texted to see how things went.

Me:  Get your **** yet?

Me again:  Shot?

Dad:  Sure as ****.

Several hours later.....

Me:  How are you feeling?

Dad:  Arm sore, little achy.

Me:  No nausea or chills?

Dad:  Nope.

.... two hours later.....

Dad:  Well this has been UGLY.

Me:  ?

..... hour later.....

Dad:  Illinois kicked Michigan all over the court.

OK, he's fine.

he's right, it was ugly.   real ugly

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:
David Eggert
 
@DavidEggert00
· 49m
BREAKING: Michigan announces all people age 50-64 can be vaccinated against COVID-19 starting March 22. Beginning March 8, those within that 50-64 group with medical conditions or disabilities are eligible. So are family caregivers of kids with special health needs.

That's good to hear but the only place I could get on a list was Meijer. And they never asked about any medical conditions. But still, by the end of March would be amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casimir said:

 

Good for them! Putting health and safety above profits is an amazing appeal. I would visit that establishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a month of appointments, complaining and cancellations, my dad finally got his shot today at the VA.  He forgot his ID (even though I gave it to him), but I told them he was 97, so they let him in anyway.   He complained to me that they government is too slow and makes a big deal out of everything and he doesn't know why they made him wait 15 mins after the shot before he could leave.   Other than that, he was  fine.  He doesn't want to get the second one, so that will be some more work!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tiger337 said:

After a month of appointments, complaining and cancellations, my dad finally got his shot today at the VA.  He forgot his ID (even though I gave it to him), but I told them he was 97, so they let him in anyway.   He complained to me that they government is too slow and makes a big deal out of everything and he doesn't know why they made him wait 15 mins after the shot before he could leave.   Other than that, he was  fine.  He doesn't want to get the second one, so that will be some more work!

Was he able to go back to work that day?

 

 

JK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tigerbomb13 said:

1,536 new Michigan cases. That’s the highest amount in a while I think. 

Yeah, good news is that the death rate is continuing to drop and ultimately that is the most important thing. 

With more and more at risk people being vaccinated hopefully that death rate and hospitality rate will continue to plummet.

If the only people getting it are people that just get mild symptoms does it really matter? As long as the at risk folks are good that is all that matters to me.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Good for them! Putting health and safety above profits is an amazing appeal. I would visit that establishment.

Its a great chain, although they just filed Chapter 11 because of the pandemic... which kinda sucks.

My employer is keeping on with COVID protocols despite the Governor's order... my sense is that a lot seem to be in general

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Melody said:

In the beginning of the mask wearing, before the mandate, many places were hiring off duty police officers as door security.  They may have to do that again.  Our Sam’s Club still has an officer at the door.  

Maybe if they didn't have that macho gun-toting Texceptionalism going on—if y'all were wimpy wussies like we people in Chicago, who do things for the public good simply because we're asked to—maybe there wouldn't be any need for armed police to enforce wearing masks in stores there. :cheeky:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tigerbomb13 said:

1,536 new Michigan cases. That’s the highest amount in a while I think. 

What are the chances this is a Valentine's Day spike?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah, good news is that the death rate is continuing to drop and ultimately that is the most important thing. 

With more and more at risk people being vaccinated hopefully that death rate and hospitality rate will continue to plummet.

If the only people getting it are people that just get mild symptoms does it really matter? As long as the at risk folks are good that is all that matters to me.   

I agree with this fully.  Given all of the vaccines available have very high success rates against preventing hospitalization (the CMOs of my company said they were all 100% effective at preventing hospitalization) this is an inevitability if we can get people vaccinated.  If we can get this to resemble the flu (ironic given prior rhetoric) in terms of prevalence or harm, it's a huge win.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Maybe if they didn't have that macho gun-toting Texceptionalism going on—if y'all were wimpy wussies like we people in Chicago, who do things for the public good simply because we're asked to—maybe there wouldn't be any need for armed police to enforce wearing masks in stores there. :cheeky:

To be fair, I'm guessing that if you head south of I-80 or west of DeKalb, the same dichotomy that exists here exists in Illinois as well. 

In general, there's a real urban/suburban and rural divide in how people adhere to guidelines on the virus. Seems to be the same all over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Its a great chain, although they just filed Chapter 11 because of the pandemic... which kinda sucks.

My employer is keeping on with COVID protocols despite the Governor's order... my sense is that a lot seem to be in general

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

To be fair, I'm guessing that if you head south of I-80 or west of DeKalb, the same dichotomy that exists here exists in Illinois as well. 

In general, there's a real urban/suburban and rural divide in how people adhere to guidelines on the virus. Seems to be the same all over

Heck just go south of 75th street or head toward Cicero...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Melody said:

Daughter spent her entire evening yesterday assisting in bouncer duties. And the mandate doesn’t end for another week.  She is a sommelier and the beverage director for a restaurant in N Dallas.  Her shop plans no changes to their Covid protocols for the time being and the staff was being overwhelmed by argumentative “freedom” doofuses.

I still do not get the hatred for mask wearing.  It is such a minor inconvenience.

Yeah, this is not ideal for anyone in a public facing position in retail or the restaurant industry. This past year has been tough enough as it is, and it just feels like businesses who want to follow protocol have been sort of abandoned / are not getting government backup.

One thing I worry about is whether there could be a counterreaction to the intended result of this decision (ostensibly to increase economic activity). I've seen a couple of people who were starting to get out more suggest that, with the new rules, they may hold back some or specifically avoid businesses that do not require masks.

I'm not sure that it's fair to businesses to be put into this situation when the alternative would have been to just continue the mask mandate another month or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Where are you going to get the teachers and space in class from? You can't just expand capacity for one year or hold everyone back a year.

I'd be annoyed as heck if I were the Grade 12 quarterback and the chap a yeah above decided to come back.

My wife was talking with a superintendent in one of Michigan’s districts today. She expressed concern about finding enough staff for summer school. Nobody wants to do it. She’s also concerned about finding staff, not only teachers but support staff, maintenance, tech support etc, for next year.

Between on line and hybrid learning, the educators are facing major burnout and are leaving as soon as they are vested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

My wife was talking with a superintendent in one of Michigan’s districts today. She expressed concern about finding enough staff for summer school. Nobody wants to do it. She’s also concerned about finding staff, not only teachers but support staff, maintenance, tech support etc, for next year.

Between on line and hybrid learning, the educators are facing major burnout and are leaving as soon as they are vested.

Quite - I'm knackered just from online teaching. There's no way I have any interest in anything that cuts back on my down time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chasfh said:

What are the chances this is a Valentine's Day spike?

Anyone concerned about a St. Patrick's Day spike?

This was, for the most part, the first major "holiday" that was cancelled in some/many part of the country.  We've been under the umbrella of the pandemic for a lone time.  And there's a good part of the country where this is the first party of the spring.

Cases have been going down, vaccinations are going on, starting to round the corner it seems.  Seems like a possibility for letting one's guard down for a day, or even that, hey, its almost over, we can start to celebrate while dribbling out the clock.

If not a backward bump in COVID, what about overserves and DUIs?  It probably helps that St. Patrick's Day is a Wednesday this year.  On the other hand, with so many working remotely, maybe that doesn't matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

My wife was talking with a superintendent in one of Michigan’s districts today. She expressed concern about finding enough staff for summer school. Nobody wants to do it. She’s also concerned about finding staff, not only teachers but support staff, maintenance, tech support etc, for next year.

Between on line and hybrid learning, the educators are facing major burnout and are leaving as soon as they are vested.

I think the finding staff piece is one that has been overlooked.  I know that my wife's district has had fewer substitute teachers interested this year.  But as you mention, nobody considers the support staff.  I'll be honest, I might not think about the night janitors if my wife wasn't a teacher of if I didn't see them while my kids had basketball practices or other night events at the school building.

We've been lucky, no issues for us.  This includes an all year in person school district and another that has run the gamut of hybrid to full remote back to hybrid to all in person.  We received notices of positive cases, and you could tell they were amplified during fall/winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big miscalculation with the TX decision is.... does the Gov understand it takes a few weeks from the dose to be protected?  How many Texans had a 2nd dose, or even a 1st, dose 28 days ago?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      97,070
    • Total Posts
      3,066,440
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...