Jump to content
chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

Recommended Posts

Covid hospitalizations in MI up by about 140 in the last week. It ain't over 'till it's over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

I think a lot of MAGAs will get it and pretend they didn't to maintain their stupidity. 

They are already scouring the distribution sites and complains that they can’t jump the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Covid hospitalizations in MI up by about 140 in the last week. It ain't over 'till it's over.

Gone?   You think it's Gone?   IT'S NEVER GONE !

All joking aside, COVID is here to stay, it will never totally go away.  It's up to us to vaccinate to protect ourselves, but this illness is here to stay forever and ever and ever.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Biden sent a tweet out - it was about having enough vaccines for every American by the end of May.    It had no insults in it.   What a loser. 

sounds pretty "america last" if you ask me.  tracking beacons for all!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Covid hospitalizations in MI up by about 140 in the last week. It ain't over 'till it's over.

I saw that too and was wondering why it went up. Doesn’t correlate to an increase in cases. My wife said her 300 bed hospital only has 10 covid patients.  Was never this low.  But of her patients on ICU most are now in that 40-60 age range.  This last wave saw a of patients in that group for her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Biden sent a tweet out - it was about having enough vaccines for every American by the end of May.    It had no insults in it.   What a loser. 

Yes, flood the market with vaccines. Provide states with the resources needed to get the vaccines into arms. I tell you, the end is near!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I saw that too and was wondering why it went up. Doesn’t correlate to an increase in cases. My wife said her 300 bed hospital only has 10 covid patients.  Was never this low.  But of her patients on ICU most are now in that 40-60 age range.  This last wave saw a of patients in that group for her. 

I'm just happy to see that the outbreak among our students has run out of gas and Washt county has now fallen to about 10/100K like most of the rest of the state. Also UM starting to do 1st dose vaccinations again after a 2 wk lull, so at least the queue I am in has started moving again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I have seen this movie probably 500 times. One of the the first I recorded on the VCR.  The mayor laughs and says “well let’s just say it runs in some of the families”.  
 

Made by director John Milius, inspiration for Walter Sobchak in The Big Lebowski.  Man is/was a great writer but suffered a stroke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Made by director John Milius, inspiration for Walter Sobchak in The Big Lebowski.  Man is/was a great writer but suffered a stroke. 

He and Coppola and Lucas were buddies back in college.  I won a toys r us gift certificate in 6th grade and got a toy AK-47 just like they had in the movie.  I still get goose bumps when c Thomas Howell dies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Oblong said:

He and Coppola and Lucas were buddies back in college.  I won a toys r us gift certificate in 6th grade and got a toy AK-47 just like they had in the movie.  I still get goose bumps when c Thomas Howell dies.  

it was on max rotation on HBO or one of the pay channels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Since someone was confused, i'll spell it out

* One of Whitmer's campaign promises was government transparency

* She directs agencies to do just that, but than fails to see if they are actually doing it.

* Covid hits and since there is an emergency, it's just too difficult to be even pretend to be transparent.  Don't worry about what they're doing right now, before you know it everything will go back to being transparent.  That's what all the non-fascist democrats I know say all the time.  

* Whitmer hires a lawyer with experience in the office of management and budget to lead Health and Human Services.  In hindsight, wonder if someone with a certain set of skills would have been helpful in that agency.

* He resigns, which based on his role you'd think would be important, and Whitmer isn't candid at all about it.  Which if she was all about transparency, based on what we know now, she could have simply said "Due to a confidentiality agreement, which is very common in private sector and has happened in the public sector, I am not at liberty to answer that, X is my new director and I will answer any questions related to X's role".

 

who was confused?

It's weird that the article you posted said this was common 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I think both of us know the answer on that.  I mean, I guess there is a chance if we spun a 'republican' wheel of any/all politicians in the last 5 years we could win the lotto with a Kinzinger or Amash.  The difference is, i'm not trying to say there is a difference, regardless if there is a (D) or an (R) and it would be nice if all were scrutinized equally.

what you did at minimum infer is that I would have behaved differently, to which I claim you would as well, and so would Detnews.   See, it's easy making accusations of what someone would do in a make believe world - you just make it up.   For instance, if it was a republican governor, the part I quoted would be the headline.  

You literally made up a fake world, then made up what I'd do in that fake world, and I guess it's a checkmate here in reality world on this message board.  

Meanwhile the Detnews buried in paragraph 12 that they're making manufactorversy of something that's common.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this in the potpourri thread but it’s the same subject 

I think the public has a right to know the backstory why anyone still receiving a government salary (or payout upon leaving) is no longer working for the government.   I can’t think of a reason right now for that to not be the case.  Sure I can see accrued time off being compensated but then say so.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Covid hospitalizations in MI up by about 140 in the last week. It ain't over 'till it's over.

Time to lift the mask mandate!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excited to hear Melody’s take on today’s Texas news and how it was a good thing for the governor to put the decision on masks back under local control and to let business owners to make their own decisions.   A smart move for sure that you have to be Texan to understand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Excited to hear Melody’s take on today’s Texas news and how it was a good thing for the governor to put the decision on masks back under local control and to let business owners to make their own decisions.   A smart move for sure that you have to be Texan to understand.

So smart that Texas is going to sue Pennsylvania to overturn their COVID restrictions. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I posted this in the potpourri thread but it’s the same subject 

I think the public has a right to know the backstory why anyone still receiving a government salary (or payout upon leaving) is no longer working for the government.   I can’t think of a reason right now for that to not be the case.  Sure I can see accrued time off being compensated but then say so.   

Fairly certain I'm not at risk, but I looked at my Government severance in the event of the unthinkable during belt tightening, and it was healthy... Not exactly orders of magnitude lower than the one being announced today. Based on current salary and years of service. If I had more years of service and a higher salary, I could be pushing a similar payout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Excited to hear Melody’s take on today’s Texas news and how it was a good thing for the governor to put the decision on masks back under local control and to let business owners to make their own decisions.   A smart move for sure that you have to be Texan to understand.

Not Melody, but a Texas resident here.

It's about 1-2 months too early. I kinda expected him to yank the mask mandate (it's a nice distraction with the conservative base, especially given the recent winter storm fiasco), but cranking it up to 100% capacity doesn't seem wise at all. 

Also, it puts businesses who want customers or employees to wear masks in a bind... it was hard enough to enforce as it is, especially outside the major metros. Good luck getting the Karen's to put a mask on now.... especially given people's general understanding of what personal freedom actually means.

EDIT: I would add that, if this the route the state wants to take, they really oughtta open eligibility for the vaccine to everyone. It only seems fair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pfife said:

what you did at minimum infer is that I would have behaved differently, to which I claim you would as well, and so would Detnews.   See, it's easy making accusations of what someone would do in a make believe world - you just make it up.   For instance, if it was a republican governor, the part I quoted would be the headline.  

You literally made up a fake world, then made up what I'd do in that fake world, and I guess it's a checkmate here in reality world on this message board.  

Meanwhile the Detnews buried in paragraph 12 that they're making manufactorversy of something that's common.  

Again, you say common, but what you quoted specifically stated it was common in private sector but stated it has happened in public sector too, that doesn't mean it's common in the public sector.   Buried even deeper in that article (typical mainstream media) was that the director already resigned.  He was ready to walk out the door, Whitmer chased him out throwing cash at him.  I would think most people that want to hold government accountable would wonder why.  You simply made it clear you didn't care and yes, I inferred a reason.  I also voted for that same governor that I'm trying to hold accountable now, as Schuette was becoming everything I despise about the current GOP, even if I still tend to agree with many conservative policies.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I posted this in the potpourri thread but it’s the same subject 

I think the public has a right to know the backstory why anyone still receiving a government salary (or payout upon leaving) is no longer working for the government.   I can’t think of a reason right now for that to not be the case.  Sure I can see accrued time off being compensated but then say so.   

I posted it here because of his role and the potential effect it might have in reviewing and understanding this states actions after the fact.  Even if nothing was done illegally, I would think all levels of government should go back and review how they handled this pandemic to learn about best practices going forward.  Due to this agreement, many of those aspects may be lost on our State government.

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Fairly certain I'm not at risk, but I looked at my Government severance in the event of the unthinkable during belt tightening, and it was healthy... Not exactly orders of magnitude lower than the one being announced today. Based on current salary and years of service. If I had more years of service and a higher salary, I could be pushing a similar payout.

To me, the position he was in is the big factor.  If you wanted to quit, your agency would still give you a buyout?  My company provides severance if they choose to eliminate our jobs.  The severance does have an agreement which generally states that in return for the package, we agree to continue to work for 30,60, or 90 days as work is seamlessly transitioned.  This guy either wanted out, or Whitmer wanted him fired.  Either way, it could have been done without further taxpayer dollars, unless....   I'll give any Whitmer defender the chance to try and write up a possible 'unless' that they can type up with a straight face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

She’s the best 

I buddy lives in TN.  He sent me a link about this from a local news station and just said 'read the comments'.  If Romad gets his wishes on this virus morphing and targeting the ignorant, looks like my buddy and Dolly might be the only ones that would make it alive from that state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Again, you say common, but what you quoted specifically stated it was common in private sector but stated it has happened in public sector too, that doesn't mean it's common in the public sector.   Buried even deeper in that article (typical mainstream media) was that the director already resigned.  He was ready to walk out the door, Whitmer chased him out throwing cash at him.  I would think most people that want to hold government accountable would wonder why.  You simply made it clear you didn't care and yes, I inferred a reason.  I also voted for that same governor that I'm trying to hold accountable now, as Schuette was becoming everything I despise about the current GOP, even if I still tend to agree with many conservative policies.

I posted it here because of his role and the potential effect it might have in reviewing and understanding this states actions after the fact.  Even if nothing was done illegally, I would think all levels of government should go back and review how they handled this pandemic to learn about best practices going forward.  Due to this agreement, many of those aspects may be lost on our State government.

To me, the position he was in is the big factor.  If you wanted to quit, your agency would still give you a buyout?  My company provides severance if they choose to eliminate our jobs.  The severance does have an agreement which generally states that in return for the package, we agree to continue to work for 30,60, or 90 days as work is seamlessly transitioned.  This guy either wanted out, or Whitmer wanted him fired.  Either way, it could have been done without further taxpayer dollars, unless....   I'll give any Whitmer defender the chance to try and write up a possible 'unless' that they can type up with a straight face.

Yes the level matters.  I am thinking more along the lines of appointees. The heads that changeover from admin to admin. Not career workers.  I’m not against severances or whatever but the reason why is important to ensure there’s no favoritism or kickbacks or whatever.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Again, you say common, but what you quoted specifically stated it was common in private sector but stated it has happened in public sector too, that doesn't mean it's common in the public sector.   Buried even deeper in that article (typical mainstream media) was that the director already resigned.  He was ready to walk out the door, Whitmer chased him out throwing cash at him.  I would think most people that want to hold government accountable would wonder why.  You simply made it clear you didn't care and yes, I inferred a reason.  I also voted for that same governor that I'm trying to hold accountable now, as Schuette was becoming everything I despise about the current GOP, even if I still tend to agree with many conservative policies.

 

 So you actually made up how I felt and also why I felt that way.  My mistake for not giving you full credit for your skills in the short fiction genre.  you really pulverized the "me" you made up. 

The quote quite plainly addressed public sector as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

50 minutes ago, pfife said:

 So you actually made up how I felt and also why I felt that way.  My mistake for not giving you full credit for your skills in the short fiction genre.  you really pulverized the "me" you made up. 

The quote quite plainly addressed public sector as well.

"...not shocking whatsoever because its detnews" and "manufactroversy" were a couple of terms you used which made me think you didn't think it was a story worth caring about.  I'm trying to reread the initial post over to try and see how I could have taken that wrong, but I can't help but think I was either correct that you didn't care or it was a whataboutism to deflect something you know is an issue and blame the conservative  Detroit (Fake)  News.  I felt I gave you the benefit in the doubt in believing your words indicated you didn't care about it rather than you were deflecting.

This link probably doesn't belong in this thread, but man oh man, just keeps looking worse for Whitmer.  And yes, I do want to know if you're going to go with the source I initially provided that supports your Dem (in your eyes), but that you seemed to play the 'fake news' angle with at the same time, or this source, known to lean liberal?

Quote

Former Michigan Unemployment Agency Director Steve Gray received a payout of close to $86,000 and also signed a confidentiality agreement after he resigned from the high-profile state post in November, an official confirmed Tuesday.

Gray's departure from the administration of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is the third separation agreement officials have confirmed this week and the second one tied to a confidentiality agreement, which is uncommon in state government.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


×
×
  • Create New...