Jump to content

Why not Brady for one year???


kgeorge78
 Share

Recommended Posts

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

isnt that what ended romo's career?

I would say there are a number of differences in the two cases.

As to what exactly ended Romo's career, that seems a little grey.  Romo did not end his career on the injured list. He was rehabbed and ready to play from game 11 of 2016 but the Cowboys had given the job to Prescott. Romo got into the last game for a series or something, and then the season was over and then he hung 'em up. If you remember the stories out of the Cowboys in 2016, Romo wanted his job back when he came back so he wasn't that worried about playing more then. Had he not lost his job would he have been willing to play in '17? Not that clear IMO. Yes  - I suppose he could have gone somewhere else and he did decide not to.

But in any case, more to the point, Romo's injury was more severe. He had a vertebral compression fracture, which is a partially crushed or deformed vertebrae. That can be serious and once damaged in that way the vertebrae may  not get back it's original form and strength.

According to the reporting, Stafford cracked one or more of the non-weight bearing 'processes'  - the projections that stick out of the vertebrae at the side that attach to various muscles etc. Those don't support the body's weight and typically heal normally with rest.. 

Third difference - Romo would have been 37 in '17 and had also lost a chunk the year earlier with a broken collarbone. Stafford will be 32 next season and this was the first time he has missed in years. EDIT:I see MB already noted this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I would say there are a number of differences in the two cases.

As to what exactly ended Romo's career, that seems a little grey.  Romo did not end his career on the injured list. He was rehabbed and ready to play from game 11 of 2016 but the Cowboys had given the job to Prescott. Romo got into the last game for a series or something, and then the season was over and then he hung 'em up. If you remember the stories out of the Cowboys in 2016, Romo wanted his job back when he came back so he wasn't that worried about playing more then. Had he not lost his job would he have been willing to play in '17? Not that clear IMO. Yes  - I suppose he could have gone somewhere else and he did decide not to.

But in any case, more to the point, Romo's injury was more severe. He had a vertebral compression fracture, which is a partially crushed or deformed vertebrae. That can be serious and once damaged in that way the vertebrae may  not get back it's original form and strength.

According to the reporting, Stafford cracked one or more of the non-weight bearing 'processes'  - the projections that stick out of the vertebrae at the side that attach to various muscles etc. Those don't support the body's weight and typically heal normally with rest.. 

Third difference - Romo would have been 37 in '17 and had also lost a chunk the year earlier with a broken collarbone. Stafford will be 32 next season and this was the first time he has missed in years. EDIT:I see MB already noted this.

Interesting, did not know the details behind Stafford's back injury....wasn't his back injury the reason given as to why he had a not-so-hot 2018 season though?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...

As I said before, Lions fans should be really happy to have a high quality quarterback like Stafford.... and the back injury doesn't seem to be a factor so far. 

However those who considered Tom Brady to be "not good!!"....looking at you Buddha.

This is not an argument for having made the swap, I'm just calling *bullship* on those who considered Brady to be washed up.

(I kid you not my phone's dictation software put *that word* in in place of the actual swear word I used)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Brady sucked last year.  Brady on the Lions would suck this year because the Lions suck.

I do love seeing Brady perform well in Tampa and the Patriots fall apart (even if a lot of it is because of injuries and covid dropouts).

Brady is no fool, he won't go to a team that can't protect him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Who said Brady won’t come to Detroit? He’ll probably sign a one year deal with every team and then win them a Super Bowl. And then they’ll call it the Brady Bowl. 

He'll break his leg in training camp stepping off the bus in Detroit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2020 at 1:26 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Probably because at this point in his career Brady is a downgrade from Stafford. New England would probably gladly give their 1st round pick for Stafford. 

lol

i made this thread a year ago. 

I think it was the right call!

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, kgeorge78 said:

lol

i made this thread a year ago. 

I think it was the right call!

 

 

Matthew Stafford is more than capable of throwing 3 INTs in a playoff game. 

Ironically, New England is one of the teams in the mix for Stafford and probably would trade their 1st round pick for Stafford. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I realize (as I stated last year) that this is academic, because he would never have come here, but to restate and evaluate the objections to Brady from last year:

a. he's too old to rely on (disproven for 2020)

b. he wasnt good in 2019 (he was still above average in 2019, and was better in 2020).

c. he would have been a downgrade from Stafford (he was somewhat better than Stafford in 2020).

The trade that they just made has a very similar effect to what was called for here last year, except that they now have Goff instead of Brady.  

I realize that people will object to the significance of 1 and 2 above because Brady had better protection than Stafford, etc, but at some point, Stafford has to actually put the numbers up to demonstrate his presumed comparability/superiority.

Stafford has his chance now, no excuses, and I hope for his sake that he will prove it, because he is a good guy and a really good quarterback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

I realize (as I stated last year) that this is academic, because he would never have come here, but to restate and evaluate the objections to Brady from last year:

a. he's too old to rely on (disproven for 2020)

b. he wasnt good in 2019 (he was still above average in 2019, and was better in 2020).

c. he would have been a downgrade from Stafford (he was somewhat better than Stafford in 2020).

The trade that they just made has a very similar effect to what was called for here last year, except that they now have Goff instead of Brady.  

I realize that people will object to the significance of 1 and 2 above because Brady had better protection than Stafford, etc, but at some point, Stafford has to actually put the numbers up to demonstrate his presumed comparability/superiority.

Stafford has his chance now, no excuses, and I hope for his sake that he will prove it, because he is a good guy and a really good quarterback.

a.  true.

b.he was below average in 2019.  his qbr was the same as jameis winston and daniel jones.  his dvoa was just below....wait for it....jared goff.  nothing he did in 2020 demonstrates that he had a good 2019.  what it MIGHT demonstrate is that putting a solid game manager qb like 2020 tim brady behind a really good offensive line, two solid running backs, one of the best wide receiver tandems in football and possibly the greatest tight end in nfl history leads to a positive outcome.

ymmv, but thinking thats all tom brady is just a silly narrative.

c.  see b.  put brady on a team with marvin jones, tj hockenson, and adrian peterson as your feature back and you may have different results.  in fact, you may get results like brady had in 2019, which were below average.  we'll never know.

im not knocking brady.  he's one of the greatest qbs of all time, but football is the ultimate team sport and tom brady isnt single handedly leading a team as untalented as the lions anywhere but perhaps to an 8 win season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

a.  true.

b.he was below average in 2019.  his qbr was the same as jameis winston and daniel jones.  his dvoa was just below....wait for it....jared goff.  nothing he did in 2020 demonstrates that he had a good 2019. 

OK, I hadn't looked at 2019 for a while....he was middle of the pack at best....I think what I was remembering was that his 2019 was about the same as Stafford's 2018.  TBF, for some reason, QB ratings skyrocketed in 2018 and 2019 for a bunch of guys.

Also, he had a similar 2019 to guys like....wait for it....Aaron Rodgers, Carson Wentz, and Matt Ryan.  For some reason, there seemed to be a higher level of performance in the top half of QBs and some of the better QBs didn't experience the same jump.  Did they get worse or did another dozen guys take a leap forward?  I don't know.

I don't have paid access to DVOA....I know what it is, but I can't evaluate guys with it. 

Quote

what it MIGHT demonstrate is that putting a solid game manager qb like 2020 tim brady behind a really good offensive line, two solid running backs, one of the best wide receiver tandems in football and possibly the greatest tight end in nfl history leads to a positive outcome.

ymmv, but thinking thats all tom brady is just a silly narrative.

c.  see b.  put brady on a team with marvin jones, tj hockenson, and adrian peterson as your feature back and you may have different results.  in fact, you may get results like brady had in 2019, which were below average.  we'll never know.

im not knocking brady.  he's one of the greatest qbs of all time, but football is the ultimate team sport and tom brady isnt single handedly leading a team as untalented as the lions anywhere but perhaps to an 8 win season.

Well yeah....that's what I said above about having the pieces around a guy.

My point wasn't to lionize everything about Brady....he doesn't need that from anybody....I was just pointing out that Stafford was presumed to be better despite the fact that he has not put the numbers up, and that people were liking the trade this year, when it was pretty similar to last year's idea which was rejected by the same people, just that we have Goff, which is nice, but he's only Jared Goff, and he's more expensive than Brady.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      97.1k
    • Total Posts
      3.1m
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...