Jump to content

7/7-7/11 National League vs American League (futures/derby/all-star game thread)


Keepleyland2
 Share

Recommended Posts

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

51 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I usually hate the all-star break because it is four days without real baseball.  This year, I won't notice the break as much.  And the futures game  isn't too bad.  

Of course the Tigers lose the game before the break.  They always lose before a day off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Manning didn't look good at all. Didn't throw a curve until late, and it was very flat. Change ups were all in the dirt. Wonder if he's having minor blisters. He needs a slider to get major league hitters out.

Change up were in the dirt because he's used to pitching on the shorter mound. Everyone knows you don't move to 60 feet until you get to AAA

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t have cable so I can’t watch the home run derby on ESPN. I don’t like the home run derby so it doesn’t matter.  

I don’t even like baseball that much. I’m less of a baseball fan than I am a Tigers fan. For me, an all-star game or World Series not containing my own players is pretty much like three hours in the dentists office reading two-year-old copies of People Magazine.  

As a child I was infected by the notion that I could be a better, stronger, more successful person by associating myself with with the Tigers and I could have a good time doing it. I could experience drama and excitement and adventure my own life did not contain. 

The Tigers are basically a bridge between the person I am and the greater, stronger, more successful, and adventurous person I wish to be. I’ve been doing this for 59 years.  

“How is that working out for you?” you ask.  

Bite me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I don’t have cable so I can’t watch the home run derby on ESPN. I don’t like the home run derby so it doesn’t matter.  

I don’t even like baseball that much. I’m less of a baseball fan than I am a Tigers fan. For me, an all-star game or World Series not containing my own players is pretty much like three hours in the dentists office reading two-year-old copies of People Magazine.  

As a child I was infected by the notion that I could be a better, stronger, more successful person by associating myself with with the Tigers and I could have a good time doing it. I could experience drama and excitement and adventure my own life did not contain. 

The Tigers are basically a bridge between the person I am and the greater, stronger, more successful, and adventurous person I wish to be. I’ve been doing this for 59 years.  

“How is that working out for you?” you ask.  

Bite me.

You converse with this crowd on a daily basis.  What more could you ask for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Trading Verlander still stings.  I can remember my kid waking up and crying about it before heading to school.  I don't think it will ever go away.

That will forever be the trade by which I judge Avila. And by that I mean to say I'm not sure there is ANYTHING the players returned could possibly do to make me look at it favorably. JV was the only reason I was still watching games, he was still pitching as well as anybody in baseball, and he was still under team control for several more seasons. Yes, he made a high salary, but he was earning it on the field.

In my opinion JV should have never even been thought of as a tradable piece for any price, period. My son wasn't old enough to know anything about Verlander, but I will never forget the first game I watched with him, the day we came home from the hospital. JV took a no-no into the 9th against the Angels.

If you wanted to make it purely about "value" and detach all emotion from the issue (which I refuse to do) JV has, in his remaining Tiger controlled years, amassed 11.8 WAR for Houston. I'm not convinced we'll see 11.8 WAR from all the players we got in return combined.

And since I cannot detach emotion, I"ll continue to reiterate players of JV (and Miggy) caliber should be paid until the day they decide to retire. I don't care if we're watching a broken down shell of the version we remember, there is value (IMO) to watching HoF guys play out the string of their career for my team. ****, he's not even close to an elite hitter anymore but Miggy is still about the only time I perk up to pay attention to this team anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, hammb said:

That will forever be the trade by which I judge Avila. And by that I mean to say I'm not sure there is ANYTHING the players returned could possibly do to make me look at it favorably. JV was the only reason I was still watching games, he was still pitching as well as anybody in baseball, and he was still under team control for several more seasons. Yes, he made a high salary, but he was earning it on the field.

In my opinion JV should have never even been thought of as a tradable piece for any price, period. My son wasn't old enough to know anything about Verlander, but I will never forget the first game I watched with him, the day we came home from the hospital. JV took a no-no into the 9th against the Angels.

If you wanted to make it purely about "value" and detach all emotion from the issue (which I refuse to do) JV has, in his remaining Tiger controlled years, amassed 11.8 WAR for Houston. I'm not convinced we'll see 11.8 WAR from all the players we got in return combined.

And since I cannot detach emotion, I"ll continue to reiterate players of JV (and Miggy) caliber should be paid until the day they decide to retire. I don't care if we're watching a broken down shell of the version we remember, there is value (IMO) to watching HoF guys play out the string of their career for my team. ****, he's not even close to an elite hitter anymore but Miggy is still about the only time I perk up to pay attention to this team anymore.

JV was our own. He was not a player acquired through free agency or wheeling and dealing.  He was not a part of the problem.  Your own players, acquired through the draft and bred within your own system, are what the team is supposed to do.  That’s what they are intending to do right now. He was merely dumped because they didn’t want to pay that much money anymore.  Every time I see him in another uniform I feel sick. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

JV was our own. He was not a player acquired through free agency or wheeling and dealing.  He was not a part of the problem.  Your own players, acquired through the draft and bred within your own system, are what the team is supposed to do.  That’s what they are intending to do right now. He was merely dumped because they didn’t want to pay that much money anymore.  Every time I see him in another uniform I feel sick. 

Yes, this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot all about the home run derby this year.  I haven't watched it in years as I find it very boring.  It's exciting for about 10 minutes and then it's nothing but glorified batting practice for 5 hours.  There's only so much of watching the same thing over and over again until I get mesmerized and fall asleep.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


×
×
  • Create New...