Jump to content
Casimir

YouTube TV

Recommended Posts

I really like YTTV, but no FSD is a deal breaker.  I doubt that I regain access to the channel, but the postponement of the season at least opens up that window of possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

On 3/14/2020 at 11:55 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

I remember back in the day in Det with  the  old mechanical meters we always ended up marking our own and sending it in on the postcard they left because everyone in the house was either working or at school. I know that on our old meter mechanism some of the dials developed slack. It wasn't hard to take a value for "9" that was really a zero but had bounced back to the wrong side of the tick mark. I remember sanity checking my readings against the last bill before sending in the card. 

We are working on the third generation water meter reading  system since we've been in A^2. After the original all mechanical manual read came a mechanical meter with an electronic counter that you had to wire to a port on an outside wall so the meter reader didn't need access to the house. That meant you had to drill a hole in your wall for them. Wasn't thrilled about that. Those meters still had analog display dials. Next they replaced the readout system with a wireless xmitter inside  your house using the same meter so they can read them from the street (leaving you with a useless hole in your outside wall) We recently got a notice that that system will be replaced in the coming year with something all digital - I'm guessing no local readout, which I'm not thrilled about either. ?

I still have no idea what your recourse is when/if you get a bill that is ludicrous.  How do you prove how much water/electricity you used?  You really cannot.  You could get a bill like the one I got that is COMPLETELY out of left field and have to suck it up and pay it because there really is no way to fight it.  It is more than maddening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 9:50 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

DTE is 265 now, but it will be something like 90 in June, right?     You have to average that out.   My DTE was 305 this month, but with the warm March we're having I expect it to be about 60% of that next month.   (gotta keep those 12 plants in the basement warm.........)

We are on the average bill system.  Keeps me from going from 400.00 to 100.00...I like the average.  Makes for ease of budgeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I still have no idea what your recourse is when/if you get a bill that is ludicrous.  How do you prove how much water/electricity you used?  You really cannot.  You could get a bill like the one I got that is COMPLETELY out of left field and have to suck it up and pay it because there really is no way to fight it.  It is more than maddening.

I get bills from DTE for gas/electric and A^2 for water. They all have current and previous meter readings on them and the cost per unit you are being billed for. If you get an outlier bill just check your meter to see if the reading that they are charging you for passes a sanity check. If water meter looks out of whack meter water into some 5 gallon buckets to check it. Turn off your supply value to see to goes to zero.

With DTE electric, they have a device that connects to your router and monitors your meter through a wireless link. You can track historical and real time electrical use in your house and check power draws on individual power cords. if you have DTE gas it also give you daily usages so you can track down anything going on  out of the ordinary.

If you suspect your gas meter, look at the input rate on one of your appliances then watch the meter when it turns on and check to see if the meter use matches what the appliance says it should be doing. The conversion is 1000 BTU/ft^3

You should always be able to determine out if your utility bills are  sensible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I get bills from DTE for gas/electric and A^2 for water. They all have current and previous meter readings on them and the cost per unit you are being billed for. If you get an outlier bill just check your meter to see if the reading that they are charging you for passes a sanity check. If water meter looks out of whack meter water into some 5 gallon buckets to check it. Turn off your supply value to see to goes to zero.

With DTE electric, they have a device that connects to your router and monitors your meter through a wireless link. You can track historical and real time electrical use in your house and check power draws on individual power cords. if you have DTE gas it also give you daily usages so you can track down anything going on  out of the ordinary.

If you suspect your gas meter, look at the input rate on one of your appliance then watch the meter when it turns on and check to see if the meter use matches what the appliance says it should be doing. The conversion is 1000 BTU/ft^3

You should always be able to determine out if your utility bills are  sensible.

We can determine it, but can you prove it?  I get all that you wrote up and thanks for taking the time to write it all out, but you get that crazy bill and know it is not right, contact the supplier and you get 2 options to pay it or have the meter checked at your expense.

I already track all my data which is how I know which bills are whacked out.  I can tell them all day that the bill is not correct and to look at my normal usage etc...they are not going to listen to it.  I tried it twice so far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

We can determine it, but can you prove it?  I get all that you wrote up and thanks for taking the time to write it all out, but you get that crazy bill and know it is not right, contact the supplier and you get 2 options to pay it or have the meter checked at your expense.

I already track all my data which is how I know which bills are whacked out.  I can tell them all day that the bill is not correct and to look at my normal usage etc...they are not going to listen to it.  I tried it twice so far.  

I assume we are talking about the original issue with the Det Water board and truly, if their customer service sucks, yeah - that's a problem. Of course, if they are institutionally deaf that really is less a question of 'proving' anything - you've probably already done that, than a bureaucratic one. And since they are a monopoly supplier, you are stuck. I guess I might try your council member's constituent services office if they keep stonewalling you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They finally changed the YTTV icon.  No more accidentally opening Youtube by mistake.  But I almost guarantee I get a call from my dad asking where the YTTV icon went.

rgFRVQD.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The HBOMax page is now live.  You couldn't get HBO on YTTV before this.  I guess you still cant until the 27th which is when HBOMax comes out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But still no FSD for me.  I was shopping when COVID started, and then no live sports (as well as all of the other COVID related fun), so the shopping ended.  I guess (hope) it'll be time to resume that shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have HBO go for “free” right now based on my ATT wireless plan. I log in using an ATT TVnow account, even though I don’t subscribe to ATT TVnow.

Supposedly I’m supposed to get Max for free now, but we’ll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got an email from YTTV.  They are raising the price from $50 to $65 a month.  $15 seems like a huge increase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were also touting that they’ve added a few more channels (from the Viacom Family) that I don’t watch. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I canceled within minutes of seeing the news. I still have it until the 22nd. Maybe I should have not been so trigger happy and let them charge me 50 bucks one more time on July 22 and then cancel it so that I would have it until August 22.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fubo TV just upped their rate to 65 and has the Disney/ESPN/FX channels being added. But they just dropped turner channels so not good for basketball fans. 
 

Hulu will probably follow suit soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made the break with Uverse a couple of weeks ago and went with YTTV. I think the interface is rather awkward and the loading times are long enough to be a certain cure for channel surfing, but the image quality has been excellent and they carry everything we watch (which in reality isn't a lot beyond baseball anymore - which is why the 'cable' subscription had gotten to be such a waste. 

Other pros - you can watch on any network connected device such as a laptop, not just mobile devices. Also, my older 2nd TV, which does not have an ethernet connection (or wireless) is still useful because  YTTV  runs on our old Firestick which is the source for that set now.

I'm still trying to figure out my options. Our LG set is ethernet connected and runs YTTV directly, but I also have a computer next to it which can run YTTV from a browser and put it on the main same screen at the same resolution through one of the LGs HDMI ports, which should allow me to use a video capture program on the PC if I want to take a personal copy recording of something coming in from YTTV while watching it. Haven't tried it yet though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside, I thought that cancelling Uverse was going to turn into a big hairy deal on the phone because ATT will not let you cancel via the on-line account management system. But the nice foreign lady didn't give me a hard time at all. A begrudging +1 to ATT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I'm still trying to figure out my options. Our LG set is ethernet connected and runs YTTV directly, but I also have a computer next to it which can run YTTV from a browser and put it on the main same screen at the same resolution through one of the LGs HDMI ports, which should allow me to use a video capture program on the PC if I want to take a personal copy recording of something coming in from YTTV while watching it. Haven't tried it yet though.

You could also just record the show on the YTTV DVR.  Later open it in your browser and use the capture program to make your copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure you all received the email.  But you can get a free 30 day trial of Cinemax right now.  Just add it in your settings before August 31st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

weirdest thing - I cancel my uverse TV service and they promptly add free HBO max to my internet service - go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They added the NFL Network to the base package.

They also added a new package of 7 sports channels you can subscribe to for $10.99 per month.  That has NFL Redzone, a soccer channel, FOX College Sports Channel, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

They added the NFL Network to the base package.

They also added a new package of 7 sports channels you can subscribe to for $10.99 per month.  That has NFL Redzone, a soccer channel, FOX College Sports Channel, etc.

Nobody needs this ****.  The people need FSD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't argue YTTV isn't a pain to navigate. Maybe it's not YTTV's fault, it could be the quality of the WebOS performance in my LG display, but loading times are much longer than changing channels on a cable box, and it's taken to downgrading the image right in the middle of watching something - it will drop back from 720p to 480p and I have to pull up a menu and reset it, which causes a 10 second or so drop in the video. It's not the pipeline to the set, it's hardwired to fiber optic service.  OTOH, I'm saving $70/mo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


×
×
  • Create New...