Jump to content
RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

Jacob Nix also got screwed in the Aiken debacle...he had agreed to an above-slot deal in a later round and when the Aiken deal fell through and the Astros lost Aiken's portion of the bonus pool, they had to back out of the deal for Nix.

That was definitely unfortunate. I wonder whether he should have taken a deal for what they had remaining, despite having agreed to a deal for a higher amount. I also wonder if there is a way for the league to allow these deals to go through or if it would be abused. Maybe something where they lose bonus money for the next season. Maybe force the teams to come to agreements prior to physicals, and allow a team to back out (a limited number of times) if they don’t like the deal anymore, and make the player a free agent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

Honestly, if they change anything on that front, giving teams more wiggle room, they're going to abuse it quickly. Nix was just caught in an unfortunate circumstance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White Sox 3 outs from another win, and the Giants have an early 3 run lead against the DBacks, who are resting a lot of their players. Could move into the 2nd position after tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A half game behind the first and second pick. A loss tonight coupled with wins by both of the giants and phillies, and we will be #1.

We have 6 games left. Giants and phillies each have 5.

if we go 2-4, giants need to go 2-3 and phillies need to go 3-2. 

We can do this magic number style (combined losses for the tigers and wins by the others to clinch picking ahead of them).

Phillies 7

Giants 6

White Sox 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Shelton said:

We can do this magic number style

I was told there'd be no math.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I was told there'd be no math.

Casimir is correct.  Math should only be found in the MTS 'Gold Member Only' threads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading Verlander (and upton) has really had a nice additional benefit in allowing the tigers to continue moving up the draft order. Had we kept Verlander and traded him this offseason, he would have probably added 3-4 more wins to the tigers win total. And upton would probably have added at least another win on top of that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Trading Verlander (and upton) has really had a nice additional benefit in allowing the tigers to continue moving up the draft order. Had we kept Verlander and traded him this offseason, he would have probably added 3-4 more wins to the tigers win total. And upton would probably have added at least another win on top of that. 

yes, but I've been told that draft order doesn't matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

yes, but I've been told that draft order doesn't matter.

I know you are being sarcastic here in response to those that have said draft order isn’t that important. It can be both things. I think everyone would agree that picking higher is better. The argument seems to stem from the degree that draft order matters, not that is doesn’t matter at all. And it’s true that picking first instead of second, or second instead of third, doesn’t matter all that much. 

Not to mention, most of the arguments were based on the difference between picking ninth or tenth or something like that. 

Can we all just agree that at the end of the day, a higher draft pick is preferable, but that it isn’t a big difference between a couple draft spots?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shelton said:

I know you are being sarcastic here in response to those that have said draft order isn’t that important. It can be both things. I think everyone would agree that picking higher is better. The argument seems to stem from the degree that draft order matters, not that is doesn’t matter at all. And it’s true that picking first instead of second, or second instead of third, doesn’t matter all that much. 

Not to mention, most of the arguments were based on the difference between picking ninth or tenth or something like that. 

Can we all just agree that at the end of the day, a higher draft pick is preferable, but that it isn’t a big difference between a couple draft spots?

I never took you as a unifier, but, yes, I'm on board.  As Rodney so eloquently stated, "can we all just get along?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

yes, but I've been told that draft order doesn't matter.

You keep saying this, when the circumstances around when you said it originally and now have completely changed.  When you were talking about tanking before, Upton and Verlander were still on the team and looked like a real possibility to be on the 2018 roster.  If that was the case, it would have made sense to hope for rebounds in our rotation and Cabrera and take our chances for 2018 no matter how small they were as the $ generated by being even somewhat competitive in 2018 would have been significant.  Once Upton said he was going to opt out, the small chance to compete in 2018 basically disappeared and so it made sense to move Verlander (and Kinsler this offseason) and get as high a pick as possible.  

 

In the grand scheme of things the players selected 1-5 don't matter much.  But the $ attached to the bonus pool as well as not being competitive at all means you might as well try and get the best pick possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, Vargas pitches for KC tonight. We ******* kill Vargas.

Of course that may only apply to Ian, Nick, and McCann nowadays. And KC should be a good kryptonite for Anibal's strikeout resurgence. But not a guaranteed loss by any means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very likely that by June, there will be a consensus number 1 or 2 or maybe even 3. Being able to get one of those guys will be very nice. It would be even nicer to pick the player the team likes best.

It would also be really nice to grab a position player, as opposed to an arm. And this year, like last, seems to be much stronger in arms than bats. Royce Lewis was ranked around 5 by most publications. I believe Twins took him 1 in part bc they wanted to add the best non-pitching prospect (saving a little money didn't hurt either). The next 4 guys to go were all pitchers.

I know the team must draft the BPA, but they really need some impact position players in the system and I would love to see them get the best bat in the draft. After Jeimer we either have low ceiling upper level guys (Stewart, Gerber) or higher risk lower level guys like Daz, Paredes, Hill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, irvink said:

It's very likely that by June, there will be a consensus number 1 or 2 or maybe even 3. Being able to get one of those guys will be very nice. It would be even nicer to pick the player the team likes best.

It would also be really nice to grab a position player, as opposed to an arm. And this year, like last, seems to be much stronger in arms than bats. Royce Lewis was ranked around 5 by most publications. I believe Twins took him 1 in part bc they wanted to add the best non-pitching prospect (saving a little money didn't hurt either). The next 4 guys to go were all pitchers.

I know the team must draft the BPA, but they really need some impact position players in the system and I would love to see them get the best bat in the draft. After Jeimer we either have low ceiling upper level guys (Stewart, Gerber) or higher risk lower level guys like Daz, Paredes, Hill.

There's almost always a consensus #1, top 3, etc. A lot of times tho there's not that large of a gap between.

Ideally they get their 1B or 1C to take a few million under slot and that gets them a better prospect later in the draft.

I agree with you, all things equal I'd prefer a bat. If that high school shortstop looks like the real deal next June, he'd be the guy I'd want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, irvink said:

It's very likely that by June, there will be a consensus number 1 or 2 or maybe even 3. Being able to get one of those guys will be very nice. It would be even nicer to pick the player the team likes best.

It would also be really nice to grab a position player, as opposed to an arm. And this year, like last, seems to be much stronger in arms than bats. Royce Lewis was ranked around 5 by most publications. I believe Twins took him 1 in part bc they wanted to add the best non-pitching prospect (saving a little money didn't hurt either). The next 4 guys to go were all pitchers.

I know the team must draft the BPA, but they really need some impact position players in the system and I would love to see them get the best bat in the draft. After Jeimer we either have low ceiling upper level guys (Stewart, Gerber) or higher risk lower level guys like Daz, Paredes, Hill.

 

For the Twins this year, they had Lewis ranked very highly their board, but the decision to draft him at 1-1 was as much or more about managing their bonus pool as it was his talent. By going approximately $1 million under slot for Lewis at 1-1, $400k under slot in the 2nd round, and $75k under slot in the 4th round, that allowed them to go substantially over slot for sliding talents and hard commitments in the 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds. That management was a hugely important reason for the Twins to take Lewis 1-1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know. He'll be in the dugout on his iphone playing pokemon.  Mateo just texted his best friend who just kissed a girl.  Mateo wants to know what it was like.  

4109-National-(Navy)-9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

 

For the Twins this year, they had Lewis ranked very highly their board, but the decision to draft him at 1-1 was as much or more about managing their bonus pool as it was his talent. By going approximately $1 million under slot for Lewis at 1-1, $400k under slot in the 2nd round, and $75k under slot in the 4th round, that allowed them to go substantially over slot for sliding talents and hard commitments in the 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds. That management was a hugely important reason for the Twins to take Lewis 1-1.

And I would be happy to see the Tigers take this route next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

 

For the Twins this year, they had Lewis ranked very highly their board, but the decision to draft him at 1-1 was as much or more about managing their bonus pool as it was his talent. By going approximately $1 million under slot for Lewis at 1-1, $400k under slot in the 2nd round, and $75k under slot in the 4th round, that allowed them to go substantially over slot for sliding talents and hard commitments in the 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds. That management was a hugely important reason for the Twins to take Lewis 1-1.

And how much of this decision was the desire to take a bat over the two high school arms that went 2 and 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


×
×
  • Create New...