Jump to content

Random Thread


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My desktop PC is only a year old and it's already dying so I will be buying a new one this weekend.   I want something fast, but don't want to spend a fortune.  What should I look for specifically that would give me an idea that I am getting a fast machine?  

 

And when I buy it, I am stopping buy a sporting goods store to buy a new baseball bat to beat the living **** out of the one I have now - after I run over it with my car a few times.     This thing has caused me so much anger.   It's the automatic Windows updates, they are screwing everything up.    They should not have the right to force an update I don't want on me.   They should pay for my new machine, to be honest.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

34 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

 

At one of the radio stations I work at the programming side always got the old PCs, while the sales people, who were locked out of using a PC between 11am - 4pm, no, not kidding, got the brand new ones.  That's right, the side that needed better PCs got the old ones and sales, who didn't need PCs to do a whole lot, and were locked out of them most of their work day got brand new ones.   That makes sense.    Anyway, our engineer faked it and put the new PC hardware into old shells.  Management didn't know he did this.    We had this production studio PC that would crash constantly.  We'd be in the middle of a project and BOOM, everything gone.  We hated it.   The on-air staff actually got to the point where we were all willing to pitch in $50 of our own money each to buy a new one.  The company would not allow it.    Anyway, when the engineer got one of these new machines into the prod studio he called an emergency meeting behind the building.   We all show up and the old prod CD is sitting on a blanket and he's got a baseball bat and said "everyone gets a turn" and we did go all Office Space on it.  It was cathartic.   

 

If there was a Rage Room near me, I'd be booking an appointment today.   The only drag with that is that when I really need a Rage Room, I can't predict it.   It happens when it happens and I don't want to smash things in my own garage, even things I don't need.   

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My desktop PC is only a year old and it's already dying so I will be buying a new one this weekend.   I want something fast, but don't want to spend a fortune.  What should I look for specifically that would give me an idea that I am getting a fast machine?  

 

And when I buy it, I am stopping buy a sporting goods store to buy a new baseball bat to beat the living **** out of the one I have now - after I run over it with my car a few times.     This thing has caused me so much anger.   It's the automatic Windows updates, they are screwing everything up.    They should not have the right to force an update I don't want on me.   They should pay for my new machine, to be honest.

It's Windows 10. It's garbage.  We have had to jimmy-rig 3-4 machines at our station to run "like" Windows 7, just to get the programs we use, like Audition, to run. & every time there's an update, Audition forgets all of the presets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

It's Windows 10. It's garbage.  We have had to jimmy-rig 3-4 machines at our station to run "like" Windows 7, just to get the programs we use, like Audition, to run. & every time there's an update, Audition forgets all of the presets.

this is a basic problem in the Windows world. MS has always taken the attitude that its their machine and you are the guest, so MS has always felt free to have windows reconfigure things on updates. I haven't noticed W10 is as bad in recent releases as it was initially but yeah - definitely an issue. I have gotten my configurations to where 80% of my work in Windows is done inside a virtual machine running under linux. If MS pulls any fast ones I just reload the previous instance until I figure it out. Greatly reduces stress when work needs to get done.

But never fear, this fall we get Windows 11. Windows 10 was of course trumpeted as 'the forever versions of Windows', but never mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The majority of a 12-story condo with something like 130 units collapsed tonight in Surfside, FL, north of Miami. Crazy situation.  Only about 10% is still standing. What you see on the right is a set of units that have been sheared in half, not even the full width of a unit remains. This was an ocean-front building. 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, djhutch said:

It's Windows 10. It's garbage.  We have had to jimmy-rig 3-4 machines at our station to run "like" Windows 7, just to get the programs we use, like Audition, to run. & every time there's an update, Audition forgets all of the presets.

You know what Adobe just did, right?   Now they want a license fee for every single person at a radio station that uses Audition..........not just every machine that has it, but every single person as well.   So my company, which owns hundreds of stations,  cut all ties with Adobe and I am sure several other radio companies did too.    What a greedy and stupid move on their part.   Our station was already paying them plenty, but it wasn't enough.   I can use it at home, but I can't use it at work anymore.   Great idea, guys.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Yoda said:

The majority of a 12-story condo with something like 130 units collapsed tonight in Surfside, FL, north of Miami. Crazy situation.  Only about 10% is still standing. What you see on the right is a set of units that have been sheared in half, not even the full width of a unit remains. This was an ocean-front building. 

 

And you know what we're going to find out?   That there have been no real inspections and the builders did things the cheap way and nobody stopped them,  because you know, free market and all and it's Florida.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

 

But never fear, this fall we get Windows 11. Windows 10 was of course trumpeted as 'the forever versions of Windows', but never mind.

Yes yes..........well that software you used with Windows 10 is not compatible with Windows 11, but for a small fee there is a fix.........a small fee across several different platforms.    Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit, just relax.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And you know what we're going to find out?   That there have been no real inspections and the builders did things the cheap way and nobody stopped them,  because you know, free market and all and it's Florida.   

I wonder how much inspections on this type of concrete building can even detect once it's completed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And you know what we're going to find out?   That there have been no real inspections and the builders did things the cheap way and nobody stopped them,  because you know, free market and all and it's Florida.   

I cannot wrap my head around the idea a structure that big had no inspections.  Which is to say I do not think that will be the case at all.  I can see doctored or poorly done inspections, but the city is getting their money from those fees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I cannot wrap my head around the idea a structure that big had no inspections.  Which is to say I do not think that will be the case at all.  I can see doctored or poorly done inspections, but the city is getting their money from those fees.

I don't know that it didn't, but that's what I am betting.  It's Florida and we're not letting those damn liberals ruin our freedom by making sure **** is safe.    FREEEDOMMMMM

 

Why There's Nothing Better Than Taking Your Bra Off At The End Of The Day |  Braveheart, Good movies, Mel gibson

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Speaking as someone who has built two commercial buildings on a much smaller scale.  That place had about a thousand different inspections.  

Depends on who owned it and who they knew.   And you know that.     Like that pharmacy in Massachusetts......owned by friends of then Governor Mitt Romney.   No inspections there, or friendly inspectors who stuck their head in the door and said "looks fine, have a nice day"

 

You'll see.............the builders probably cheated and used lesser materials that were cheaper and nobody was there to stop it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Depends on who owned it and who they knew.   And you know that.     Like that pharmacy in Massachusetts......owned by friends of then Governor Mitt Romney.   No inspections there, or friendly inspectors who stuck their head in the door and said "looks fine, have a nice day"

 

You'll see.............the builders probably cheated and used lesser materials that were cheaper and nobody was there to stop it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Yoda said:

It was currently undergoing an inspection. That was not likely the issue here. 

In concrete construction the inspection regime is critical during construction - the question will be what was the local inspection situation in 1980.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I gotta go with sinkhole. Seems way more likely than the "no inspection" theory. But I guess it's more fun to blame the government for all the world's problems. 

interesting idea.  Of course they should have done borings on the site before they put a high rise on it so either way......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      97.1k
    • Total Posts
      3.1m
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...