Jump to content

Hey Guitar Guys!


Corky
 Share

Recommended Posts

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

26 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I'm now officially a part of the club. I bought a Fender acoustic today and completed lesson 1 of the Your Guitar Academy 30 Day Challenge on Youtube. I'll be rocking out in no time! LOL!!

I heard something like 90% of wannabe guitarists quit before the first month or something like that. The biggest piece of advice I could give someone would be to don't overdo it. Play EVERY DAY but for like 5 or 10 minutes. Anything more and fingers will get really sore and maybe bleed. Just take it easy for the first month or so but get that muscle memory down, which playing every day will do. That's the key. Better to play 5 minutes every day that 2 hours once a week. You won't see progress and you'll get bored with it.

Also, don't get bogged down in trying to learn songs. That shouldn't be your expectation yet. Spend the first month memorizing the basic chords and then learn songs. It'll all be downhill from there. Learning the chords is boring, which is why people quit, but stick with it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I heard something like 90% of wannabe guitarists quit before the first month or something like that. The biggest piece of advice I could give someone would be to don't overdo it. Play EVERY DAY but for like 5 or 10 minutes. Anything more and fingers will get really sore and maybe bleed. Just take it easy for the first month or so but get that muscle memory down, which playing every day will do. That's the key. Better to play 5 minutes every day that 2 hours once a week. You won't see progress and you'll get bored with it.

Also, don't get bogged down in trying to learn songs. That shouldn't be your expectation yet. Spend the first month memorizing the basic chords and then learn songs. It'll all be downhill from there. Learning the chords is boring, which is why people quit, but stick with it. 

 

The good news is that I am a man of routine, so once I am in the habit of playing I should hopefully stick with it (especially if I'm seeing progress). 

I got frustrated already though with the first lesson, since I was having trouble keeping my fingers off the neighboring strings. Then I noticed that I was using fingers 1-2 instead of 2-3. Idiot! Made that change and viola! Great success!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could say that for any instrument. Learn the basic, chords on guitar, scales on other instruments, even though it might be more fun playing tunes.

We just got a new keyboard (clavinova). Trying to teach myself chords, requires a bit more thinking than the sax. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

The good news is that I am a man of routine, so once I am in the habit of playing I should hopefully stick with it (especially if I'm seeing progress). 

I got frustrated already though with the first lesson, since I was having trouble keeping my fingers off the neighboring strings. Then I noticed that I was using fingers 1-2 instead of 2-3. Idiot! Made that change and viola! Great success!

You probably have the online lessons to tell you what to do, but I think the most important things for starting out are A, C, D, G, and E chords.  Am, Dm, and Em seem to show up a lot in my life too.    If you're doing rock and roll it's also never too early to start learning the pentatonic scale.  If I had to do it all over again,  with 20/20 hindsight and a knowledge of what the pentatonic scale is now, I would have practiced that for 5 minutes a day from day 1.

I've been playing guitar on and off for decades now and I have no idea how to do an open B chord so I wouldn't worry about that one lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Yoda said:

I heard something like 90% of wannabe guitarists quit before the first month or something like that. The biggest piece of advice I could give someone would be to don't overdo it. Play EVERY DAY but for like 5 or 10 minutes. Anything more and fingers will get really sore and maybe bleed. Just take it easy for the first month or so but get that muscle memory down, which playing every day will do. That's the key. Better to play 5 minutes every day that 2 hours once a week. You won't see progress and you'll get bored with it.

Also, don't get bogged down in trying to learn songs. That shouldn't be your expectation yet. Spend the first month memorizing the basic chords and then learn songs. It'll all be downhill from there. Learning the chords is boring, which is why people quit, but stick with it. 

 

all true and wise from our old jedi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, pfife said:

You probably have the online lessons to tell you what to do, but I think the most important things for starting out are A, C, D, G, and E chords.  Am, Dm, and Em seem to show up a lot in my life too.    If you're doing rock and roll it's also never too early to start learning the pentatonic scale.  If I had to do it all over again,  with 20/20 hindsight and a knowledge of what the pentatonic scale is now, I would have practiced that for 5 minutes a day from day 1.

I've been playing guitar on and off for decades now and I have no idea how to do an open B chord so I wouldn't worry about that one lol

Well I've learned two-thirds of the E chord, so I'm almost done. Rock 'n Roll HOF here I come!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Well I've learned two-thirds of the E chord, so I'm almost done. Rock 'n Roll HOF here I come!

I bet that means you've learned Em then,   It's E major minus the pointer finger on the first fret!

Em is important b/c it's the relative minor of Gmajor, and G major is very prolific in R&R.   An interesting exercise, if you're watching TV, during commercials, and just kinda play a G major chord, in my experience it usually sounds really good with music during commercials surprisingly often, so I've concluded a lot of consumerism music is in G major.   It's a really nice sounding guitar chord.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Hey, did you guys know that you need to be able to strum down AND up, AND move your other hand along the fret, all while staying on the beat? 
 

I might be stuck on lesson four for a little while... I’ll get through it though!

Not if you're James Hetfield.

Seriously though... I've been playing since I was like 18. I'm 46. Granted I quit for a long time to focus on art. But the last couple years I've gotten really motivated again. I learned on my own and learned so many bad habits. Never held a pick the right way, never used my wrist for a vibrato, never learned to alternate-pick. The last month or so I've decided to completely relearn these things and it's making such a big difference. 

For sure start by learning a decent way to hold a pick asap. But once the chords are done and you get into more advance playing, take lessons online or something. Don't get stuck in bad habits. Playing is 90% technique. I think anyone can be a really good player if you learn the right techniques. It'll make everything so much simpler. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I appreciate the links, recommendations, and support. There is so much great content out there, it's actually a little overwhelming! I'm going to come back to these after I get through the initial 30 Day Challenge. 

Cool! The guy in the links is a friend of mine and I am actually undertaking practicing those two things. The top one, especially, has challenged me. I haven't messed with the second one beyond a precursory viewing and it is very similar to a warm up exercise I do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Cool! The guy in the links is a friend of mine and I am actually undertaking practicing those two things. The top one, especially, has challenged me. I haven't messed with the second one beyond a precursory viewing and it is very similar to a warm up exercise I do. 

Nice! I watched the first video, and I liked his style and it seems like a valuable exercise as I move along. I also really like the Your Guitar Academy guy that does the series I'm going through. Baby steps the whole process, which I need in order to avoid burnout/frustration and to make sure I grasp the basics before moving on. Even with being "stuck" on lesson four, it's gotten incrementally better each time I practice it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Nice! I watched the first video, and I liked his style and it seems like a valuable exercise as I move along. I also really like the Your Guitar Academy guy that does the series I'm going through. Baby steps the whole process, which I need in order to avoid burnout/frustration and to make sure I grasp the basics before moving on. Even with being "stuck" on lesson four, it's gotten incrementally better each time I practice it.

Cool! In short time you'll be making dumb guitar videos from the spare bedroom in the basement of your house!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2021 at 2:13 PM, Yoda said:

I heard something like 90% of wannabe guitarists quit before the first month or something like that. The biggest piece of advice I could give someone would be to don't overdo it. Play EVERY DAY but for like 5 or 10 minutes. Anything more and fingers will get really sore and maybe bleed. Just take it easy for the first month or so but get that muscle memory down, which playing every day will do. That's the key. Better to play 5 minutes every day that 2 hours once a week. You won't see progress and you'll get bored with it.

So I wanted to circle back to this. I'm still only 6 daily lessons in, but it has been amazing to me how true this is. I will struggle with something, like changing from one chord to another or spider exercises to spread my fingers apart. I try it for a few minutes with terrible results, put it down for even half an hour and try it again. It's (sometimes very small) incrementally better, but by the next afternoon I feel pretty comfortable and ready for the next lesson while still continuing to work on it.

I really like this daily lesson framework. It's chunked up into REALLY small pieces per day (the Youtube video lessons are only 15-20 minutes), which is allowing me to really focus on that thing and build on it for the next lesson.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

So I wanted to circle back to this. I'm still only 6 daily lessons in, but it has been amazing to me how true this is. I will struggle with something, like changing from one chord to another or spider exercises to spread my fingers apart. I try it for a few minutes with terrible results, put it down for even half an hour and try it again. It's (sometimes very small) incrementally better, but by the next afternoon I feel pretty comfortable and ready for the next lesson while still continuing to work on it.

I really like this daily lesson framework. It's chunked up into REALLY small pieces per day (the Youtube video lessons are only 15-20 minutes), which is allowing me to really focus on that thing and build on it for the next lesson.

I dig your enthusiasm and glad to hear you're sticking with it! You're passing the "I wanna play guitar without doing any of the work" phase that kills it for most people!.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I dig your enthusiasm and glad to hear you're sticking with it! You're passing the "I wanna play guitar without doing any of the work" phase that kills it for most people!.

Well, if I just gave up, I'd get a lot of sh!t from the Mrs for wasting money on a guitar, so I have some extra motivation.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Well, if I just gave up, I'd get a lot of sh!t from the Mrs for wasting money on a guitar, so I have some extra motivation.

Dude, you need help.  Seeing you try to drive your car yesterday with your mangled wrists and your Edward Scissorhands was alarming, you need to give it a rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

 I try it for a few minutes with terrible results, put it down for even half an hour and try it again. It's (sometimes very small) incrementally better, but by the next afternoon I feel pretty comfortable and ready for the next lesson while still continuing to work on it.

I've been playing guitar for 42 years and to this very day if I struggle with something, I will eventually walk away and try again a little later and that small break helps. That's actually a good habit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I've been playing guitar for 42 years and to this very day if I struggle with something, I will eventually walk away and try again a little later and that small break helps. That's actually a good habit.

This usually helps me get through your videos. :)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

This usually helps me get through your videos. :)

Which is why I’ve decided to start every video with “hi I’m John and I makes dumb videos about guitars in the spare bedroom in the basement of my house”. I actually need to make a formal intro video with that and other things like “despite playing for over forty years, I’m as sloppy as a newb and am completely tone deaf”. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


×
×
  • Create New...