Jump to content

San Francisco 49ers at Your Detroit Lions, the Dan Campbell era begins


Buddha
 Share

Recommended Posts

Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Marvin Jones, and Kenny Golladay had the best years of their careers with Stafford throwing to them. The Lions had the 2nd worse defense in the history of the NFL last year and still won 5 games. The Lions defense last year was worse than the 0-16 Lions defense. How exactly is Stafford suppose to elevate one of the worst defenses the NFL has ever seen?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

The #1 thing I care about from yesterday's game is that Penei Sewell looks like a legit NFL LT. For as terrible as he looked on the right side all preseason long, he looked fine out there yesterday against a really good 49'ers defensive line. Taylor Decker is going to have to be our new starting RT from here on out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont.  i feel the same.  they got humiliated for most of the game and only came back when the niners stopped trying and they got a fluke onside kick.

look, i loved the fightback.  it was fun to watch.  but lets be real.  the niners punted once?  the defense was an embarassment and goff looked awful until he put up garbage time numbers.

this team is what we thought it was: bad.

Yep. The comeback at the end was merely lipstick on a pig

The team played hard until the end so good on them for that but this was an all around atrocious game outside of the bulldozers on the offensive line, the RBs and Hockenson. It's going to get really ugly with an angry Erin going up against this college defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

Yep. The comeback at the end was merely lipstick on a pig

The team played hard until the end so good on them for that but this was an all around atrocious game outside of the bulldozers on the offensive line, the RBs and Hockenson. It's going to get really ugly with an angry Erin going up against this college defense.

I mean, they had the ball at around the 25 yard line with a chance to tie the game. They didn't just score in the final seconds to make it close. I wouldn't be happy if I were a 49ers fan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, they had the ball at around the 25 yard line with a chance to tie the game. They didn't just score in the final seconds to make it close. I wouldn't be happy if I were a 49ers fan. 

It was a fluke. They eased up when the game was in the bag, an onside kick bounced off of Kittle's facemask and the fumble at the end although that was a nice play by Flowers. The first 58 minutes were representative of what the game really was. The last 2 minutes was a case of a lot of unfortunate sequences for the 49ers.

I do like that he Lions kept fighting though which was nice to see after so many poor efforts to close out games the last few seasons and I though that Lynn called a great game with all the motion and misdirection he created in the first half which had the 49ers defense on their heels. However, if we're to grade performances, it's a lot of F's and D's across the board outside of the units I mentioned above which isn't too surprising as we expected them to be bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Yoda said:

That is an absurd post. 

The fascination with sports fans having to have pro athletes be "elevated" by some other great player is silly. And to blame said great player when they don't get better is equally silly. 

If only Stafford could impose his will on the GM to make them acquire better players, to make the refs call every play for them, etc. Stafford just doesn't have it I guess. 

I don't think you understood what I was saying... and maybe I'm just not saying it right.

I think that a really GREAT player can make other players around him "better."  Brady, for example just seems to may receivers "better."

I don't think Stafford is that good. I think he's very good, but not GREAT.  Again, that's not a bad thing. He's still really good. He's still a QB that most teams would replace their starting QB with (all other things being equal). He's still someone I would prefer was playing for the Lions.

And it's certainly not Stafford's fault that the GMs didn't draft/trade/sign better players. Nor is it his fault the coaches couldn't develop/motivate/scheme better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that one measure that I would use to determine if someone was truly GREAT instead of just really good would be that he appears to elevate the game of other players around him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Career is likely over. 

That sucks... I don't know if he every would have played up to the 3rd over all pick label, but he sure would have been worth something to the defense and a bad secondary is now much worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't think you understood what I was saying... and maybe I'm just not saying it right.

I think that a really GREAT player can make other players around him "better."  Brady, for example just seems to may receivers "better."

I don't think Stafford is that good. I think he's very good, but not GREAT.  Again, that's not a bad thing. He's still really good. He's still a QB that most teams would replace their starting QB with (all other things being equal). He's still someone I would prefer was playing for the Lions.

And it's certainly not Stafford's fault that the GMs didn't draft/trade/sign better players. Nor is it his fault the coaches couldn't develop/motivate/scheme better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that one measure that I would use to determine if someone was truly GREAT instead of just really good would be that he appears to elevate the game of other players around him.

I literally listed 4 receivers who elevated their games with Stafford. Golden Tate played with Russell Wilson and Stafford and by far had the best years of his career with Stafford. Marvin Jones had his best year with Stafford. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Marvin Jones, and Kenny Golladay had the best years of their careers with Stafford throwing to them. The Lions had the 2nd worse defense in the history of the NFL last year and still won 5 games. The Lions defense last year was worse than the 0-16 Lions defense. How exactly is Stafford suppose to elevate one of the worst defenses the NFL has ever seen?

Johnson and Golladay aren't worth looking at...

Johnson's career was with Stafford except for two seasons, his first two seasons in the league.  I would expect that these would be bad years for rookie and sophomore learning the ropes.

Golladay has only played with Stafford. (Edit to add: I should say that Gollaway isn't worth looking a yet. He will be a great one to watch in the future.  Will he play as well or better with a different QB?  Will he devolve? Give it 3-4 years and this could be a good measuring stick.)

Jones is an interesting case because in 2017 yeah...he had a monster year (2016 wasn't bad either).  But after that he saw limited time due to all the injuries.  2020 was okay... but hard to fault him or Stafford for the relatively low 12.9 yard per catch because the team was a mess.

Tate's probably a good example but one could argue that the Lions had him in his prime and it's worth nothing that the Lions used him much more than the Seahawks did.  However, was that because he performed better? Because the Lions passed more?  Because Stafford connected more with him?  Probably a bit of all, so yeah... Tate I'd say definitely played better with Stafford than other places.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Johnson and Golladay aren't worth looking at...

Johnson's career was with Stafford except for two seasons, his first two seasons in the league.  I would expect that these would be bad years for rookie and sophomore learning the ropes.

Golladay has only played with Stafford. (Edit to add: I should say that Gollaway isn't worth looking a yet. He will be a great one to watch in the future.  Will he play as well or better with a different QB?  Will he devolve? Give it 3-4 years and this could be a good measuring stick.)

Jones is an interesting case because in 2017 yeah...he had a monster year (2016 wasn't bad either).  But after that he saw limited time due to all the injuries.  2020 was okay... but hard to fault him or Stafford for the relatively low 12.9 yard per catch because the team was a mess.

Tate's probably a good example but one could argue that the Lions had him in his prime and it's worth nothing that the Lions used him much more than the Seahawks did.  However, was that because he performed better? Because the Lions passed more?  Because Stafford connected more with him?  Probably a bit of all, so yeah... Tate I'd say definitely played better with Stafford than other places.

Of course it's excuses. You could look at someone like Amendola who neared his career highs in the twilight of his career. You also have Nate Burleson who had 4 of his 5 best seasons in catch % with Stafford. That tells me Stafford was giving him a good catchable ball. Regarding Calvin Johnson, Stafford was basically injured most of his first two seasons so they didn't actually play a full season together until Johnson's 5th season when he set a then career high in yards and then set the all time record in yards the following season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Campbell coached for Sean Payton.    Payton's team just dominated Green Bay and made Rodgers look terrible.  

Think they might have a conversation this week?   It would benefit Payton to have the Lions beat Green Bay.   

Or is our defense so bad it wouldn't matter anyway?    

You should never say never in the NFL... but yeah, these Lions are never going to beat a pissed off GB in GB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The way Okudah has played, are they?      Okudah and Will Harris were dreadful yesterday.  

yeah, they are.  i dont think okudah was that bad yesterday.  they barely threw at him, they went at oruwariye all day and lit him up.

so now you have a guy who couldnt beat out okudah starting in his spot.

see what melifonwu can do unless they are dead set on keeping him at safety.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Buddha said:

yeah, they are.  i dont think okudah was that bad yesterday.  they barely threw at him, they went at oruwariye all day and lit him up.

so now you have a guy who couldnt beat out okudah starting in his spot.

see what melifonwu can do unless they are dead set on keeping him at safety.

Okudah was god awful yesterday.   He didn’t get beat out because he was the 3rd pick being given a chance.  All he did at OSU was clutch and grab, and never got called on it.   Didn’t work for the NFL.   Awful situation for Okudah personally, but for the lions defense, it’s not much of a change.  Let’s see if someone else can play, okudah certainly couldn’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okudah was decent yesterday, yeah he gave up the long td but he was with him step for step he just didn't turn around and find the ball on an under thrown ball.

The elite CBs make that play but just cause he didn't make a play that the elite guys make doesn't mean it was a terrible play either.  Aside from that play he made a great diving pass deflection to force a 3rd down stop and made a couple open field tackles on other defenders guys.

All in all he looked much better than last year and it's ashame that he got this injury. He may have never lived up to being the 3rd pick but that doesn't mean he couldn't have been a solid player, now that looks like a complete longshot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jon Jansen made an interesting suggestion on the radio today, he suggested moving Decker to left guard and not right tackle. He said it's an easier transition and it would make the left side dominant. 

Of course he conceded that as an offensive lineman you have to really swallow your pride to make that move, sorta like a starting pitcher accepting a move to the bullpen but he said if Taylor is willing it may be the Lions best move. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jon Jansen made an interesting suggestion on the radio today, he suggested moving Decker to left guard and not right tackle. He said it's an easier transition and it would make the left side dominant. 

Of course he conceded that as an offensive lineman you have to really swallow your pride to make that move, sorta like a starting pitcher accepting a move to the bullpen but he said if Taylor is willing it may be the Lions best move. 

Pride is not half the issue money is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      97.1k
    • Total Posts
      3.1m
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...