Jump to content

2021 Michigan Football


Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

They could start the season off 3-1 or 4-0 depending on how the Washington game goes. I do think they'll beat Western, Rutgers, and Northern Illinois, though I'm not supremely confident in that statement. Once they get into the non-Rutgers part of the Big Ten schedule I think is where it falls off a cliff for Harbaugh. Wisconsin is a loss, Nebraska is a 50/50, Northwestern is a loss, Michigan State is a loss (he can't beat Mel Tucker), Indiana is a loss, Penn State is 50/50 (thanks to James Franklin being an equally terrible Coach), Maryland is probably a win, and Ohio is most certainly a 20+ point blowout loss. When all is said and done, let's say all the 50/50 games go our way, Michigan would be 7-5. If only 1-2 two of the 50/50 games break for us we could just as easily be 5-7.

I was equally horrified @ the MSU loss last year, but I think it's a little early to say Harbaugh "can't beat Mel Tucker"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

35 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I was equally horrified @ the MSU loss last year, but I think it's a little early to say Harbaugh "can't beat Mel Tucker"

Maybe so on it being to early, but until he proves to me otherwise I will (mostly) stand by the statement. He lost to a guy that didn't have a single recruit of his own and took over a program that was stripped bare. That is up there with one of Harbaugh's worst losses in his tenure at Michigan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is no magic wand that someone can wave over this offensive roster and turn it into something special.   It looks terrible if I’m being honest.   They will need at least 3 guys that nobody is really counting on to come in and play way over expectations to avoid being one of the worst in the B10. 

The QB situation is unsettled.  McNamara apparently is in the lead but he doesn’t seem that much different from the plethora of average QBs that have plagued the Harbaugh era.  The Texas Tech guy could be a fallback if that doesnt work.  I don’t see Harbaugh starting a true freshman so McCarthy seems like a long shot.   

The OL looks to be somewhere between fair on the plus side to train wreck on the negative.  I don’t see this unit coming together at all.   Lots of underperforming ex-4star recruits that never became more than mediocre parts.  Certainly won’t be a strength of the team   

The WRs are actually not bad but it they are possession guys and no game breakers in sight.   Ronnie Bell is great when it doesn’t matter but is a drop machine on key downs. I kind of like Sainistel but he’s tiny and not someone who will win outside.  Harbaugh keeps glossing Erick All at TE but he was more hype than anything.  

The only positive is the RB room.   Haskins, Corum and the freshman Edwards is a really nice group. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Hongbit said:

There is no magic wand that someone can wave over this offensive roster and turn it into something special.   It looks terrible if I’m being honest.   They will need at least 3 guys that nobody is really counting on to come in and play way over expectations to avoid being one of the worst in the B10. 

The QB situation is unsettled.  McNamara apparently is in the lead but he doesn’t seem that much different from the plethora of average QBs that have plagued the Harbaugh era.  The Texas Tech guy could be a fallback if that doesnt work.  I don’t see Harbaugh starting a true freshman so McCarthy seems like a long shot.   

The OL looks to be somewhere between fair on the plus side to train wreck on the negative.  I don’t see this unit coming together at all.   Lots of underperforming ex-4star recruits that never became more than mediocre parts.  Certainly won’t be a strength of the team   

The WRs are actually not bad but it they are possession guys and no game breakers in sight.   Ronnie Bell is great when it doesn’t matter but is a drop machine on key downs. I kind of like Sainistel but he’s tiny and not someone who will win outside.  Harbaugh keeps glossing Erick All at TE but he was more hype than anything.  

The only positive is the RB room.   Haskins, Corum and the freshman Edwards is a really nice group. 

All of this. I am having a hard time finding a lot of positives for this Michigan offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just curious with what is going on with the QB situation. Mccord for Ohio State is looking to start as a true Freshman. McCarthy beat Mccord a few times at different showcases as the better QB..... How is it OSU is ready to start Mccord and we are hesitating on McCarthy? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Just curious with what is going on with the QB situation. Mccord for Ohio State is looking to start as a true Freshman. McCarthy beat Mccord a few times at different showcases as the better QB..... How is it OSU is ready to start Mccord and we are hesitating on McCarthy? 

Ryan Day coaches one team and Jim Harbaugh coaches the other. Day is a significantly better recruiter, talent evaluator, and developer than Harbaugh. Harbaugh clearly shows little confidence in his own recruited QBs and his ability to develop them. He consistently brings in transfers to start over the kids he recruits and then those he does recruit, predictably fail to develop and end up transferring out of here (Peters, McCaffery, Milton). Never forget that Dylan McCaffery must have been soooooooooo awful during camp that Harbaugh chose to start Joe Milton over him. And if there were other reasons as to why that happened, than that further highlights the mediocrity of Harbaugh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Ryan Day coaches one team and Jim Harbaugh coaches the other. Day is a significantly better recruiter, talent evaluator, and developer than Harbaugh. Harbaugh clearly shows little confidence in his own recruited QBs and his ability to develop them. He consistently brings in transfers to start over the kids he recruits and then those he does recruit, predictably fail to develop and end up transferring out of here (Peters, McCaffery, Milton). Never forget that Dylan McCaffery must have been soooooooooo awful during camp that Harbaugh chose to start Joe Milton over him. And if there were other reasons as to why that happened, than that further highlights the mediocrity of Harbaugh.

Harbaugh has modeled himself after Bo, who was maybe the worst QB coach to ever get 200 wins. Well, make it 2nd worst after the guy Bo modeled himself after - Woody. The only QB Bo ever played who was actually a competent QB was Harbaugh, and that was probably only because he was his coach's kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Just curious with what is going on with the QB situation. Mccord for Ohio State is looking to start as a true Freshman. McCarthy beat Mccord a few times at different showcases as the better QB..... How is it OSU is ready to start Mccord and we are hesitating on McCarthy? 

I made the statement that Harbaugh probably wouldn’t start a true freshman but I’m not sure that can be true anymore.   The free transfer means that the majority of backup Qbs will explore transfer options even if they legitimately were outplayed for the job.   That number rises to 100% for players that think they played well enough to win the job but lose out due to a coaches decision.  I’ve got to think that if McCarthy plays well enough in the fall, he will be Harbaugh’s QB1 regardless of age. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I made the statement that Harbaugh probably wouldn’t start a true freshman but I’m not sure that can be true anymore.   The free transfer means that the majority of backup Qbs will explore transfer options even if they legitimately were outplayed for the job.   That number rises to 100% for players that think they played well enough to win the job but lose out due to a coaches decision.  I’ve got to think that if McCarthy plays well enough in the fall, he will be Harbaugh’s QB1 regardless of age. 

Except that you are dealing with a HC with one season to save his job. Why would it matter if McCarthy looks like he will be Peyton Manning from 2022-2024 but McNamara functions better in the offense this fall only because he knows it better?  McNamara will play because there is no 2022 for Harbaugh if he doesn't win now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Except that you are dealing with a HC with one season to save his job. Why would it matter if McCarthy looks like he will be Peyton Manning from 2022-2024 but McNamara functions better in the offense this fall only because he knows it better?  McNamara will play because there is no 2022 for Harbaugh if he doesn't win now.

Let's hope Fickell can convince McCarthy to stay when he takes over as Michigan Head Coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2021 at 7:39 PM, Hongbit said:

The QB situation is unsettled.  McNamara apparently is in the lead but he doesn’t seem that much different from the plethora of average QBs that have plagued the Harbaugh era.  The Texas Tech guy could be a fallback if that doesnt work.  I don’t see Harbaugh starting a true freshman so McCarthy seems like a long shot.  

I would not be surprised if Bowman weren't the starter by the time the Big 10 season starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yet another exhibit of why Michigan is not going to take the next step and compete with Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State regardless of who the coach is until the NCAA or some replacement governing body takes the time to give a damn about a level playing field.

Show me a quote from one of those schools' athletes where they talk about how much time they focused on school as a student. At Ohio State, Clemson, and the entire SEC minus Vanderbilt, these athletes are NFL athletes in training as freshmen, doing just enough to check the minimum boxes to allow for pearl clutching if the NCAA comes calling about academics. Michigan as an institution has no interest in becoming that.

School's out for Kwity Paye: Colts first-round DE's sole 'focus on football'

Quote

'Tis graduation season for a great many and quite shortly school's out for summer.

It's out for Indianapolis Colts first-round pick Kwity Paye, a notion that dawned on him during organized team activities this past week, as the No. 21 selection of the 2021 NFL Draft realizes the focus going forward is solely on football.

"It's like, now I wake up and be like, 'Man, I have no school. I have nothing to do but focus on football.' It's fun now," Paye said this week, via the Colts team website's JJ Stankevitz. "Just to be able to focus on one thing, yeah that's cool."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Michigan as an institution has no interest in becoming that.

 

I posted in the other thread about the impending changes in the legal situation for revenue athletes. I may well be way off but can't help thinking that athletes classed as employees is going to cause a lot of soul-searching about what they are doing in the AAU dominated conferences (Pac10, B1G).  Conventionally, I would say the money wins out over other considerations, but how much of the revenue pie will the players be able to capture before a place like UM decides the remaining payout isn't worth the other institutional compromises? I have no idea but I think it's a huge unknown. How many seats could you still sell playing against the Ivy league with non-scholarship players and what would it net without TV revenue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I posted in the other thread about the impending changes in the legal situation for revenue athletes. I may well be way off but can't help thinking that athletes classed as employees is going to cause a lot of soul-searching about what they are doing in the AAU dominated conferences (Pac10, B1G).  Conventionally, I would say the money wins out over other considerations, but how much of the revenue pie will the players be able to capture before a place like UM decides the remaining payout isn't worth the other institutional compromises? I have no idea but I think it's a huge unknown. How many seats could you still sell playing against the Ivy league with non-scholarship players and what would it net without TV revenue?

I don’t think it will make a huge difference, so long as the paid sports remain self-supporting.

If money has to go to athletes instead of facilities, support people, or non-revenue sports, I don’t think that’s any hair off the backs of school admin offices. UM football ran at an $80 million surplus in 2020. The legislation will not make a huge dent in that, and so long as the athletic department isn’t asking for money, their budget is their business.

It could result in a lot of non-revenue sports getting cut or gutted, similar to what Stanford tried and failed to do, if football goes “sorry we have to take care of our own”. It could also result in lesser programs (MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt, etc.) going “no thanks” akin to what you described. I don’t think we will see any major Power Five programs do so though. To do so would be virtually to eliminate all of athletics with how much football programs bring in at those schools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2021 at 4:45 PM, djhutch said:

I would not be surprised if Bowman weren't the starter by the time the Big 10 season starts.

Bowman being the starter and replacing Cade McNamara during the season likely means the season is falling or going off a cliff. Harbaugh needs either McNamara or McCarthy to not only come out of camp as the starter, but shine doing so throughout the season if he wants to have any hope of being competitive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Bowman being the starter and replacing Cade McNamara during the season likely means the season is falling or going off a cliff. Harbaugh needs either McNamara or McCarthy to not only come out of camp as the starter, but shine doing so throughout the season if he wants to have any hope of being competitive.

agree. Another transfer QB is another program fail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What?  They never had a beat OSU banner in their weight room before?  I am glad they finally added it so the tide will turn.  OSU is totally screwed now.  Incoming 10 game winning streak for the guys in winged helmets.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 6/1/2021 at 1:45 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Bowman being the starter and replacing Cade McNamara during the season likely means the season is falling or going off a cliff. Harbaugh needs either McNamara or McCarthy to not only come out of camp as the starter, but shine doing so throughout the season if he wants to have any hope of being competitive.

On 6/1/2021 at 2:19 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

agree. Another transfer QB is another program fail.

I get that - I realize it doesn't look good from a recruiting standpoint, but why can't Harbaugh be given credit for bringing in the right guy even if it is a transfer? I realize he hasn't earned the right to be given credit for much of anything - but I think it speaks worse of him if there is another QB who ends up being clearly better & yet he can't see the field `cuz he's not coach's guy. At this point I want the best player out there. If that's Bowman, fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, djhutch said:

 

I get that - I realize it doesn't look good from a recruiting standpoint, but why can't Harbaugh be given credit for bringing in the right guy even if it is a transfer? I realize he hasn't earned the right to be given credit for much of anything - but I think it speaks worse of him if there is another QB who ends up being clearly better & yet he can't see the field `cuz he's not coach's guy. At this point I want the best player out there. If that's Bowman, fine.

You have to look at it from further back. The criticism would not be be for playing the better guy, the criticism would be that the guy who is the better guy in your program got beat out by another guy, which is why he transferred, from a program which you aspire to be better than, so by any definition there is no way he should be the best guy in your program.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 5:08 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

You have to look at it from further back. The criticism would not be be for playing the better guy, the criticism would be that the guy who is the better guy in your program got beat out by another guy, which is why he transferred, from a program which you aspire to be better than, so by any definition there is no way he should be the best guy in your program.

That's a good point made by you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember when Harbaugh was the Quarterback Whisperer? If Cade McNamara isn't the starter Week 1 and for most/all of the season (barring injury) and Alan Bowman is, that is a serious indictment on Harbaugh and his staff's ability to develop someone into a good prospect. I don't think the fanbase will sit through another year of a failed and/or mediocre transfer prospect starting, nor should they. It's Cade or bust!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      97.1k
    • Total Posts
      3.1m
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...