Jump to content

2021 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD


chasfh
 Share

Recommended Posts

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2021/05/14/adjust-bust-detroit-tigers-tarik-skubal-pitch-mix-still-work-progress/5089608001/

Quote

 

The splitter felt like a revelation.

Except, as he brought it into the regular season, there were side effects. His fastball, his money pitch, wasn't the same. Some of the life, the zip, had gone out of it. Manager AJ Hinch and pitching coach Chris Fetter encouraged him to back off the splitter until he got his fastball back.

Finally, after several meetings and bullpen sessions, Skubal went back to a more traditional change-up grip, a modified circle-change grip, before his last start against the Twins on May 7. Lo and behold, not only was the change-up effective, but the velocity and life was back on his four-seam fastball.

“He’s trying to feel his way,” Hinch said. “He’s very much an open book. He will work on anything and do anything. So he and Fett, and Juan (Nieves) and myself, all of us were trying to figure out why his stuff was wavering, what pitches were more effective to use than others and why did he abandon the change-up in the first place.

The Tigers pitchers are in good hands with Nieves and Fetter. Now it's just about whether or not the pitchers can take the info they get and perform.

 
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2021/05/14/adjust-bust-detroit-tigers-tarik-skubal-pitch-mix-still-work-progress/5089608001/

The Tigers pitchers are in good hands with Nieves and Fetter. Now it's just about whether or not the pitchers can take the info they get and perform.

 

I think Splitter experts have said for many years that the Splitter grip can cause issues for other pitches in the repertoire.  Good for AJ, Fetters and company for stepping in here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

so according to a story on Cleveland.com, the Indians have told their 48 professional scouts they are free to try to catch on with other teams  - apparently because they figure to lay them all off anyway when MLB goes on strike over a new CBA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone want to speculate when the Tigers will put the remaining home games on sale for this season? They are selling seats through the end of June but it is still limited seating. As bad as this team is I’d possibly consider getting there for a series later in the year.

There are good seats on stubhub for some games later in the but I don’t know how that would mix with limited seating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kdog said:

😀😀

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
the band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
and somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
but there is nothing but joy in Biggs' house — mighty McCann has struck out (again).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

so looking at the roster today, the Tigers are definitely in a weird place. By my informal count, they have 11 players  on the 25 who are 'home grown' - either our own draft or Intl signings. That's not really a bad number. The killer is that only two of them are position players and neither is a starter (Griener and H Castro) - the rest are all pitchers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

so looking at the roster today, the Tigers are definitely in a weird place. By my informal count, they have 11 players  on the 25 who are 'home grown' - either our own draft or Intl signings. That's not really a bad number. The killer is that only two of them are position players and neither is a starter (Griener and H Castro) - the rest are all pitchers. 

That's the plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, chasfh said:

That's the plan.

yeah - clearly that has been the plan and if Torkelson, Greene and Dingler make decent pros I guess you could say the plan will have successfully pivoted to better balance. Which goes back the same story with Avila - pieces of 'the plan' look  OK in isolation, but they still have not added up to a good enough ballclub fast enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah - clearly that has been the plan and if Torkelson, Greene and Dingler make decent pros I guess you could say the plan will have successfully pivoted to better balance. Which goes back the same story with Avila - pieces of 'the plan' look  OK in isolation, but they still have not added up to a good enough ballclub fast enough.

It would have been a better plan had they had top hitting and pitching prospects matriculate together across several seasons, bolstered by solid free agent acquisitions, competent trades that at least break even if not win, and cutting-edge development personnel who can get solid contributions from down-round selections.

Then again, getting all that in place would require demonstrable front office competence.

Can't have it all, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah - clearly that has been the plan and if Torkelson, Greene and Dingler make decent pros I guess you could say the plan will have successfully pivoted to better balance. Which goes back the same story with Avila - pieces of 'the plan' look  OK in isolation, but they still have not added up to a good enough ballclub fast enough.

I was just going to put this into the 2021 Farm thread... but think I will place it into both threads as it seems to be also germane here as well...:

Tigers' Prospects having the best year so far in 2021:

Dillon Dingler, 22, A+, 2nd-2020, .273/ .405/ .606 = 1.011 in 42 PA's (3 HR's in 9 games so far)

Jacob Robson, 26, AA, 8th-2016, .425/ .574/ .775 = 1.349 in 55 PA's (is he AAAA or a 5th OF'er in MLB?)

Kerry Carpenter, 23, AA, 19th-2019, .324/ .350/ .568 = .918 (same question)

Bryant Packard, 23, A+, 5th-2019, .281/ .452/ .438 = .890 in 42 PA's (8 BB's vs. 11K's, same question again? Or can he be more than that?)

Eric De La Rosa, 24, Low-A, 7th-2018, .323/ .417/ .484 = .901 (yet again...)

Derek Hill, 25, AAA, 1st-2014, .250/ .357/ .472 = .829 (gotta be at least a 4th OF'er? and deserves a chance to unseat Jacoby Jones? At least as a stopgap)

Andre Lipcius, 23, A+, 3rd-2019, .270/ .356/ .514 = .870 (don't know much about him actually... but he's splitting time between 2B and 3B)

Cole Peterson, 25, AAA, 13th-2017, .353/ .421/ .412 = .833 (nice season so far but he's never hit before. High BABIP? Could be stopgap SS if Niko falters.)

Wenceel Perez, 21, Low-A, $550K-2016 Int'l, .318/ .388/ .386 = .774 (plus 4 SB's and 1 CS in 11 games. Always had hit tool and speed. Playing 2B deferring to Workman at SS, but I thought he could play both. Could be a future starter at either position....?)

 

There are a couple pitchers who are having nice seasons so far (Elvin Rodriguez from Upton trade, Adam Wolf 5th round-2018, Gerson Moreno, Joe Salazar 2016 International) but a max of 9 innings so I'll wait on that for now...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

moving the TLR story here, now Tony defends Twins who clearly threw at Mercedes

Again, the CWS are in first place and even with their injuries are going to win the Central, but it looks like a one year revival for this grumpy old man

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

moving the TLR story here, now Tony defends Twins who clearly threw at Mercedes

 

And this is why TLR was probably right in telling Mercedes not to swing. Tony knew what Mercedes was setting himself up to get back. I get that the grumpy old man meme plays well, but I think TLR was probably right about both aspects here - it's bush league to show up your opponent when they have already conceded (have you seen Astudillo pitch?). And whether Mercedes liked it or not, a 3-0 take sign is a manager's prerogative and he had no business ignoring it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

And this is why TLR was probably right in telling Mercedes not to swing. Tony knew what Mercedes was setting himself up to get back. I get that the grumpy old man meme plays well, but I think TLR was probably right about both aspects here - it's bush league to show up your opponent when they have already conceded (have you seen Astudillo pitch?). And whether Mercedes liked it or not, a 3-0 take sign is a manager's prerogative and he had no business ignoring it.

of all things larussa has screwed up this year (not knowing the rules, leaving pitchers in too long when theyre clearly tired, refusing to pinch hit for billy hamilton in close games), this is way down on the list.  the local press is making hay with it because its something to talk about and everyone hates tony larussa (except jerry reinsdorf).

their gm wanted to hire aj hinch, fwiw.

the thing is, the white sox are so talented theyre still one of the best teams in the league despite losing two of their best hitters AND being managed by a geriatric has been drunk who cant stay awake for those pesky west coast night games anymore.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

of all things larussa has screwed up this year (not knowing the rules, leaving pitchers in too long when theyre clearly tired, refusing to pinch hit for billy hamilton in close games), this is way down on the list.  the local press is making hay with it because its something to talk about and everyone hates tony larussa (except jerry reinsdorf).

their gm wanted to hire aj hinch, fwiw.

the thing is, the white sox are so talented theyre still one of the best teams in the league despite losing two of their best hitters AND being managed by a geriatric has been drunk who cant stay awake for those pesky west coast night games anymore.

right. Maybe the right war - probably the wrong battle. There may a lot of reasons TLR turns out to have been a dumb hire, but this episode isn't one of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

And this is why TLR was probably right in telling Mercedes not to swing. Tony knew what Mercedes was setting himself up to get back. I get that the grumpy old man meme plays well, but I think TLR was probably right about both aspects here - it's bush league to show up your opponent when they have already conceded (have you seen Astudillo pitch?). And whether Mercedes liked it or not, a 3-0 take sign is a manager's prerogative and he had no business ignoring it.

You have a point about about obeying the manager, but did he have to call his player out publicly?  

On the other point, a game never gets conceded in baseball because there is no time limit.  Teams should always try to score runs.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      97.1k
    • Total Posts
      3.1m
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...