Jump to content

Casey Mize: Broken or Funkhouser 2.0?


calpon
 Share

Recommended Posts

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

If it were up to me I'd keep Farmer over Jimenez. Jimenez is a better pitcher when he is on, but he's off too often and when he's off he is really off. Buck struggles often enough but you have a better chance to survive the level of damage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

9Ks in 4 IP today.    But do we want him throwing so many pitches, is he supposed to be a strikeout pitcher? 

YES AND DONT YOU DARE EVER ASK THIS QUESTION AGAIN. 

Strikeouts are always good. **** pitch counts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2021 at 8:59 PM, Buddha said:

its funny how mize can have 5 bad outings and it means nothing, but then has one good outing and it means he's totally fixed.

god bless optimism.

hopefully he continues it.

He had taken a big step forward his outing previous to this. And it's hard to luck into being that dominant against a good lineup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, he's really struggling.

Not certain on what they're working with him on...

But I'm guessing they've gotta be doing something, whether it's change-up, mechanical tweak or whatever,

I'm pretty certain that they are working on one thing or another.

The results so far are ugly...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He was working on a new pitch, but Manning really only threw two types of pitches tonight and still struggled. His K's and walks are good, but he keeps getting hit hard. He's going to eventually need that third reliable pitch.  I'm hoping he can get some work in with Fetter somehow and get him fixed. 

It is only a month into the minors season, so small sample caveats, but the position player prospects have generally done well and the pitchers (with a few exceptions) have struggled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Scottwood said:

He was working on a new pitch, but Manning really only threw two types of pitches tonight and still struggled. His K's and walks are good, but he keeps getting hit hard. He's going to eventually need that third reliable pitch.  I'm hoping he can get some work in with Fetter somehow and get him fixed. 

some core #s are not bad; Ks and BBs; his xFIP is 4.68; not great but a good sign

basically almost 1/3 of all flyballs are turning into HRs; and his BABIP is .342 and his strand rate is horrible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

some core #s are not bad; Ks and BBs; his xFIP is 4.68; not great but a good sign

basically almost 1/3 of all flyballs are turning into HRs; and his BABIP is .342 and his strand rate is horrible

Yeah, but he isn't getting unlucky. In the 4th inning last night that I watched, all but one ball that went for a hit was smoked. The biggest worrying sign in his underlying numbers is he only has a 32% GB%. He is typically a groundball pitcher and now teams are elevating the ball against him. Hence, an xFIP that is mediocre and that doesn't even take into account the type of contact he's allowing.

He's not broken but the fact that he has turned into a fly ball pitcher is something they need to figure out. Only 6 pitchers with 20 or more innings in AAA have a lower GB% than he does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

Yeah, but he isn't getting unlucky. In the 4th inning last night that I watched, all but one ball that went for a hit was smoked. The biggest worrying sign in his underlying numbers is he only has a 32% GB%. He is typically a groundball pitcher and now teams are elevating the ball against him. Hence, an xFIP that is mediocre and that doesn't even take into account the type of contact he's allowing.

He's not broken but the fact that he has turned into a fly ball pitcher is something they need to figure out. Only 6 pitchers with 20 or more innings in AAA have a lower GB% than he does.

Hmm. I don't really know Manning's pitching but I would make a general observation. For example - if he's throwing more fly balls,  I would wonder if they have taught him to spin his FB better but he hasn't learned how to use it right - as in pitching higher in the zone. What I mean goes back to the example of what JV when through when he had his abdominal issues. JV always had that great V-break on his FB and he used it mostly up and got tons of K's and pop ups. When when he lost the leg drive his spin rates fell way off and he started to get hammered. But he then he learned/realized he was better throwing his FB, which was now flatter, down in the zone more. He was still not as good, but that was allowing him to get by. Then after the surgery, the leg drive came back but he was acclimated to still throwing low, but a high V-break 4 seamer thrown low will find a lot of bats. So he sort of had to learn to trust throwing up in the zone again - and as he did, he got very good again. Long story short, all that tech out there is showing guys how to do new things, but it can still take a while for a guy (even one with deep experience)  to figure out how to use what he has when what he has changes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


×
×
  • Create New...