Jump to content

2021 Offseason


T&P_Fan
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't understand the philosophy of using early round picks on guys at the RB position for just that reason, they break down so fast. Tarik Cohen, Jordan Howard, Marlon Mack, Chris Carson, and Aaron Jones were all selected in the 4th round or later.

Value in that position can be found late, and the earlier picks are much better spent on guys that will be able to produce for the next decade to come.

Depends on the back and the board. Looking back at that draft and who was taken in the 1st round, the only other player I would consider over Gurley is Marcus Peters who ended up on the Rams anyways. I seem to recall Gurley was a much hyped back entering the draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't understand the philosophy of using early round picks on guys at the RB position for just that reason, they break down so fast. Tarik Cohen, Jordan Howard, Marlon Mack, Chris Carson, and Aaron Jones were all selected in the 4th round or later.

Value in that position can be found late, and the earlier picks are much better spent on guys that will be able to produce for the next decade to come.

The same can be said for another position too that the Lions have continuously burned 1st rounds picks on, but I won't go down that rabbit hole any further than this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Vatai and Jackson as well.

If Vatai plays well at RG... I don't believe there will be any opt-out. Which means he's signed through 2024. 

At least 3 years of the same 5 linemen... and more if they opt to give an extension to Jackson...

I think Vaitai is the least likely to be here three years from now. His dead cap hit goes from an unrealistic $14.6 million this offseason to only $4.2 million next, and as it stands if he starts the year at RG, he'll be the 6th highest paid RG in the NFL. That's a lot to pay the 4th or 5th best O-lineman on your team.

I think best case would be Stenberg taking a step forward and becoming the starting RG by 2022, with Vaitai performing well enough this year to be flipped for a mid-round pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Depends on the back and the board. Looking back at that draft and who was taken in the 1st round, the only other player I would consider over Gurley is Marcus Peters who ended up on the Rams anyways. I seem to recall Gurley was a much hyped back entering the draft. 

I think even more so than back and board though you can look at your team. If Ezekiel Elliot or Todd Gurley or Christian McCaffery is there, and you feel like your team is one offensive piece away from being Super Bowl caliber, I think you take them, because they are a position that can most likely make a huge impact from day one. On the other hand, if you're sitting where the Lions perpetually are, a few years away from legitimately contending, taking a RB is stupid, because by the time you're (theoretically) ready to compete, your 1st or 2nd round RBs knees suck and he needs replaced.

And in that regard, I guess the Rams can be viewed as the exception to my rule, because they did manage to draft Gurley and have him carry them to the Super Bowl shortly thereafter, in a way that the Cowboys and Panthers were not, and we are now seeing them potentially waste two great athletes on mediocre teams as injuries pop up for each of Zeke and CMC. And I think those cases far outnumber the Gurleys.

Then you have the Lions in the same draft as Gurley pick up Ameer Abdullah in the 2nd round over plenty of guys who - even if they aren't Pro Bowlers or future Hall of Famers - at least they're still in the damn league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't understand the philosophy of using early round picks on guys at the RB position for just that reason, they break down so fast. Tarik Cohen, Jordan Howard, Marlon Mack, Chris Carson, and Aaron Jones were all selected in the 4th round or later.

Value in that position can be found late, and the earlier picks are much better spent on guys that will be able to produce for the next decade to come.

game breaking running backs are valuable.  elliot, adrian peterson, todd gurley.  those guys were all worthy of top picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think Vaitai is the least likely to be here three years from now. His dead cap hit goes from an unrealistic $14.6 million this offseason to only $4.2 million next, and as it stands if he starts the year at RG, he'll be the 6th highest paid RG in the NFL. That's a lot to pay the 4th or 5th best O-lineman on your team.

I think best case would be Stenberg taking a step forward and becoming the starting RG by 2022, with Vaitai performing well enough this year to be flipped for a mid-round pick.

vatai is long gone.  he was a backup in philly for a reason and the lions significantly overpaid for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Buddha said:

game breaking running backs are valuable.  elliot, adrian peterson, todd gurley.  those guys were all worthy of top picks.

They can be very valuable.  I think the problem is being sucked in and overpaying on that second contract, when they start to break down and you are essentially paying for past performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Jwood said:

They can be very valuable.  I think the problem is being sucked in and overpaying on that second contract, when they start to break down and you are essentially paying for past performance.

Correct, that's also why it's tricky drafting them early cause usually if you are drafting early you aren't good nor going to be good for a couple years so by the time you get decent you really only get a season or 2 of them at their peak before you ether have to overpay to keep them or they already start to decline.  

The Giants and Saquon Barkley are an example of this.  Not saying he is declining but they already wasted his young and cheap years on a bad team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

game breaking running backs are valuable.  elliot, adrian peterson, todd gurley.  those guys were all worthy of top picks.

I agree that they are valuable, and even that they are worthy of top picks, but I think they are maybe the most often overvalued position given their long-term worth.

You gave three examples, of which I think AP can be seen as the exception, because he is still in the game and has had a storied career (though it's also fair to speculate whether he would have retired by now if not for his financial difficulties).

I looked at Gurley above, so I'll look at Zeke here. Phenomenal player, no doubt. But he is now possibly in the twilight of his career due to injuries, and he was selected over guys like Jalen Ramsey, Ronnie Stanley, DeForest Buckner, Laremy Tunsil, and plenty more non-Pro Bowlers (Taylor Decker), who are still going to be performing at a high level for years to come. And what have the Cowboys made out of his career? I would argue they have not seriously competed for a Super Bowl in his career. Whereas if they had selected a guy like Ramsey and then picked someone like Derrick Henry (selected in the 2nd round), Kenyan Drake (3rd), CJ Prosise (3rd), Jordan Howard (5th), or JD McKissick (UDFA), they would have stood a far better chance at seriously competing for a Super Bowl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree that they are valuable, and even that they are worthy of top picks, but I think they are maybe the most often overvalued position given their long-term worth.

You gave three examples, of which I think AP can be seen as the exception, because he is still in the game and has had a storied career (though it's also fair to speculate whether he would have retired by now if not for his financial difficulties).

I looked at Gurley above, so I'll look at Zeke here. Phenomenal player, no doubt. But he is now possibly in the twilight of his career due to injuries, and he was selected over guys like Jalen Ramsey, Ronnie Stanley, DeForest Buckner, Laremy Tunsil, and plenty more non-Pro Bowlers (Taylor Decker), who are still going to be performing at a high level for years to come. And what have the Cowboys made out of his career? I would argue they have not seriously competed for a Super Bowl in his career. Whereas if they had selected a guy like Ramsey and then picked someone like Derrick Henry (selected in the 2nd round), Kenyan Drake (3rd), CJ Prosise (3rd), Jordan Howard (5th), or JD McKissick (UDFA), they would have stood a far better chance at seriously competing for a Super Bowl.

running backs can be dynamic playmakers.  if you find one, draft him early and it can work out.  always try to draft dynamic playmakers.

other than that, i agree with you.  i think football is a game played by very large men.  the more really good and athletic very large men you have the better you will be.  and those guys are really hard to find.

good running backs and receivers are not hard to find.

sort of a long winded way to say i like picking sewell over waddle, smith, and even justin "wait, i have to read a defense now" fields.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Buddha said:

running backs can be dynamic playmakers.  if you find one, draft him early and it can work out.  always try to draft dynamic playmakers.

other than that, i agree with you.  i think football is a game played by very large men.  the more really good and athletic very large men you have the better you will be.  and those guys are really hard to find.

good running backs and receivers are not hard to find.

sort of a long winded way to say i like picking sewell over waddle, smith, and even justin "wait, i have to read a defense now" fields.

Lol yeah he couldn’t read a defense.  Trying to match me in hyperbole is bold.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Lol yeah he couldn’t read a defense.  Trying to match me in hyperbole is bold.  

he reminds me a lot of trubisky.  great athlete, not a natural qb.

at least that's what i see from lots of people.

doesnt mean he wont be a success, but i think going to the bears wont help him.  they have a bad oline, only one playmaking receiver, and a coach who couldnt get the best out of a similar style qb.

but what do i know?  he could be deshaun watson 2.0.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I will stick by my prediction that the Lions season will start on Monday Night Football at Los Angeles against the Rams and Matthew Stafford. 

week 1 the bears open on sunday night football against the rams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I will stick by my prediction that the Lions season will start on Monday Night Football at Los Angeles against the Rams and Matthew Stafford. 

If the Lions get one nationally televised game all year (except for Thanksgiving) it will be against Stafford's Rams.

But I feel like the chances of this are very low.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

If the Lions get one nationally televised game all year (except for Thanksgiving) it will be against Stafford's Rams.

But I feel like the chances of this are very low.

It's in Los Angeles so it's a 4 PM start at the earliest so at worst it's probably Fox's game of the week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


×
×
  • Create New...