Jump to content

Matt Patricia/Bob Quinn fired - Holmes/Cambell Hired as GM/Coach


Mr.TaterSalad
 Share

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

First, he hasn't had three years with Stafford. This is only his second year on the team and barely has a full season with Stafford healthy. 

Russell Wilson's career high in pass attempts came under Bevell. He rode Marshawn Lynch and why not? They were winning. When Lynch left, he turned Wilson loose who set his career high for passing attempts under Bevell. Wilson is just continuing what he was doing in his post Lynch career. 

That hall of fame QB had his best season under Bevell. Favre wasn't just a game manager. He had over 500 pass attempts, 33 TDs and a career high in completion percentage and QB rating. The next season, Favre got injured and his career was over. 

Maybe he doesn't want to be a head coach. If he does, I would consider him. He's got five games to prove his worth. 

He does have five games to prove it.

I imagine they'll hire the GM first and if he has connections to Bevell, he might be considered.  The team might want an older, more experienced coach to take over a rebuild with younger players.  You never know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

Just had the chance to listen to SFH's remarks. I do appreciate her candidness. She said the right things about wishing Matt and Bob the best in their futures, but when she was asked if the Carolina and Houston games were the final straws, she said "Honestly? Yes."

Would have been easy to give the "accumulation of things" non-answer. I believe her when she says she cares about winning in a way I didn't believe WCF about (or at least, I believe he cared more about relationships than results).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Just had the chance to listen to SFH's remarks. I do appreciate her candidness. She said the right things about wishing Matt and Bob the best in their futures, but when she was asked if the Carolina and Houston games were the final straws, she said "Honestly? Yes."

Would have been easy to give the "accumulation of things" non-answer. I believe her when she says she cares about winning in a way I didn't believe WCF about (or at least, I believe he cared more about relationships than results).

Agree. She saw a team that quit on its coach and pulled the trigger. 

Also, she could easily have let Patricia go and looked the other way on Quinn. Kudos to her for realizing the problem went up into the GM office. 

Finally, she said they were considering broader changes to the org chart. Hopefully this means they bring on a senior football executive to help the family ensure the GM and HC are selected and managed properly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You have to wonder if Rod Wood survives or at least gets a reassigned role. They need someone better than him, with actual football and front office experience, in the Team President role.

Rod Wood handles the business side of things. Lots of teams have a team president that is close to the owner and have no actual football experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You have to wonder if Rod Wood survives or at least gets a reassigned role. They need someone better than him in the Team President role.

I think it's clear he survives based on his appearing side by side with Sheila today. He is the Team President and CEO, and I think that's fine, if that is the extent of his duties. He's the leader of finance, marketing, operations, development, HR, etc. And he's probably doing a great job of all of that (at least I have no knowledge otherwise).

I think they are open to hiring an executive with football experience akin to a COO though, that is in charge of football operations. Which I think would also be fine, and Rod Wood would be perfectly okay with. I don't think he currently has (or wants) any real input as to the product, just the business.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

I don't think Harbaugh is going anywhere.  They'll write this season off as a fluke and go right back to being 9-3 and getting destroyed by Ohio State next season.

That means they extend him.  That’s the real decision here. Harbaugh is lame duck next season. So it means they either mutually spilt in two weeks or they extend him. Even if Michigan win next week (Maryland is better), the season ends with Ohio state stuffing Michigan in a locker putting a pad lock on the door.  Michigan will finish 3-5/2-6 and the last game ends with true embarrassment.  You can’t extend someone after that. Harbaugh is done.

Back to the Lions. I’m curious to see if Bevell is as bad as appears as a play caller or if it was Patricia.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

I don't think Harbaugh is going anywhere.  They'll write this season off as a fluke and go right back to being 9-3 and getting destroyed by Ohio State next season.

IDK, I think today could have been the last straw for Manuel. The thing is they don't want to buy him out either, but at this point the potential revenue loss in 2021 of another disastrous season is a lot more than that cost, so in the end they will take that hit. I've said before that I don't think the top leadership at UM is particularly gung-ho about football as football - certainly not in the way they are at a place like OSU, BUT they do care a whole lot about the revenue. I don't see them taking the risk of further decay in the program's revenue potential. 

WRT the Lions, the fact the SHF did pull the trigger this weekend is about the best sign for the future she can offer. It's not much, but whaddygonnadue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Hockenson is top 5 TE in the NFL in his 2nd year. Yeah, you would rather not use the 8th overall pick, but be is still top 5 at his position.  

in what respect is hockenson a top 5 TE in the nfl?  

and to justify the draft slot, he needs to develop into gronkowski or kelce or kittle. he still has time to do that, but he's far from that right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There seems to be a lot more openings in the NFL than usual. There's going to be competition for GMs. I'm not sure where the Lions rank compared to other teams. The Houston job may be more appealing. Atlanta seems similar to Detroit. Washington may be a worse job considering Dan Snyder is a worse owner. 

depends what sheila says, right?  if she sees it as a total tear down and rebuild it could be a nice job because you would have time (theoretically).  if she views it as a team that is a couple moves from the playoffs, then maybe not because i think that is not realistic.

either way, there are only 32 jobs and someone will jump at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

IDK, I think today could have been the last straw for Manuel. The thing is they don't want to buy him out either, but at this point the potential revenue loss in 2021 of another disastrous season is a lot more than that cost, so in the end they will take that hit. I've said before that I don't think the top leadership at UM is particularly gung-ho about football as football - certainly not in the way they are at a place like OSU, BUT they do care a whole lot about the revenue. I don't see them taking the risk of further decay in the program's revenue potential. 

Not to get too off Lions topic, but I almost don't think it even matters. When Harbaugh was hired, I was still a believer that a "clean" program could succeed (really succeed) in D1 football. I no longer think that's the case.

Michigan has made the decision, whether consciously or not, that they are more of a Stanford, Vanderbilt, or Northwestern than they are an Ohio State, U$C, or Alabama. Sure, they want to win... but they're not willing to sell their soul at the expense of architecting phenomenal D1 football teams that will compete for National Championships yearly.

Short of a major institutional shift in priorities, I don't think it really matters who their head coach is. They will compete, they will recruit above average (but not elite) D1 athletes, they will win an average of 8-10 games yearly, and maybe contend for a CFP spot once in a great while when the cards fall in their favor between oppositional off years and seniors development. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Lol, as usual the LIONS hire the straight from the booth guy who turns out to be the worst GM in history while other teams have done just fine with it.  Such is our lot in life.

 

Weirdly...we tried hiring from the 49ers Bill Walsh coaching tree (Marriucci) and from the Bill Parcell/Bill Belichek coaching trees (Patricia) and the best luck we have had has been with Jim Caldwell from the Tony Dungy/Sid Gillman/Chuck Noll coaching tree (excluding Rod Marinelli).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

in what respect is hockenson a top 5 TE in the nfl?  

and to justify the draft slot, he needs to develop into gronkowski or kelce or kittle. he still has time to do that, but he's far from that right now.

He's top 5 among TEs in receptions, yards and TD. That could change as a lot of teams haven't played this week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There seems to be a lot more openings in the NFL than usual. There's going to be competition for GMs. I'm not sure where the Lions rank compared to other teams. The Houston job may be more appealing. Atlanta seems similar to Detroit. Washington may be a worse job considering Dan Snyder is a worse owner. 

There will be competition, but I think the GM role is a bit of a crapshoot, where there often isn't a commonly agreed upon "top five" that is available. Five organizations may result in five different list, with some commonalities, but a lot of differences too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

I keep hearing his name.   Can you imagine what it would take to move from a beloved, blessed, NFL-approved franchise for the Siberia of Detroit?

The appeal would be if you can manage to turn it around you are the Theo Epstein of football..................If you wanted him you best root for the Steelers to win the Super Bowl so he can take on a new challenge.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He's top 5 among TEs in receptions, yards and TD. That could change as a lot of teams haven't played this week. 

They just needed so much more there............especially on the d-line.  The last two years they were desperate for d-line help. 

 

There seems to be a lot of vitriol from ex-Lions players.   Usually players don't stomp on guys who just lost their jobs.   To me its just more evidence that yes men were more important than talent to Rocket Man and Bob the Barista.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am fascinated to see how the defense looks without Patricia's direct influence.    Who knows, maybe they are better than we thought and it was just a terrible scheme.    Cory Underling was hired to be a Yes Man, but maybe he gets to actually show something.    Maybe these guys get to loosen up and play ball........as in" play" and not be forced into a lifeless, archaic scheme.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an interesting but pointless exercise (a metaphor for our time as Lions fans):

Coach and the coaching tree he comes from:

Monte Clark:  Don Shula

Darryl Rogers:  Nobody (and it showed)

Wayne Fontes:  John McKay (Tampa)

Bobby Ross:  Marv Levy/George Allen

Gary Moeller:  Bo/Woody

Marty Mornhinweg:  Walsh/Holmgren

Steve Mariucci:  Walsh/Holmgren/Seifert

Dick Jauron:  Holmgren/Dated owner's daughter

Rod Marinelli:  Sid Gillman/Chuck Noll/Tony Dungy

Jim Schwartz:  Bill Parcells/Bill Belichek

Jim Caldwell:  Tony Dungy

Matt Patricia:  Bill Parcells/Bill Belichek

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They just needed so much more there............especially on the d-line.  The last two years they were desperate for d-line help. 

 

There seems to be a lot of vitriol from ex-Lions players.   Usually players don't stomp on guys who just lost their jobs.   To me its just more evidence that yes men were more important than talent to Rocket Man and Bob the Barista.   

Ed Oliver, who a lot of people wanted, has been pretty awful so far. Hockenson may actually be the Lions only Pro Bowler. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Biff Mayhem changed the title to Matt Patricia/Bob Quinn fired - Holmes/Cambell Hired as GM/Coach

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      97.1k
    • Total Posts
      3.1m
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...