Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    MAROTH4MVP is offline MotownSports Fan

Sad

http://sabersdrawn.wordpress.com/

from the site

Brian Bluhm
    April 17th, 2007

My good friend and fellow contributor to this blog, Brian Bluhm, was among the 32 students killed in the massacre at Virginia Tech on Monday. I knew Brian exclusively through the Internet — I never met him in person or spoke to him on the phone. Still, I considered him an important person in my life and I am deeply saddened by his death.

It feels solipsistic to indulge my own feelings when so many people who knew him in “real life” are more devestated than I can imagine. But this great tragedy serves to remind me how people who otherwise wouldn’t know each other are able to forge meaningful bonds through the most unlikely of ways — like a shared passion for baseball or Uncle Tupelo.

Brian was an incredible person; I knew that much without the benefit of shaking his hand. He was kind and honorable and intelligent. He will be missed.

Todd is offline MotownSports Fan

Holy crap i cant believe what i am reading... i thought the odds were he was ok

RIP E
    I have No agenda in the Morning

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Don't post much anymore, but still read the site religiously and Estrepe was always one of my favorite posters. I don't even know what to say, I'm just sitting here the past 20 minutes stunned. RIP Estrepe.
    VT

BFK
    BFK is offline MotownSports Fan

Dear God, this is terrible news. I don't know what to say other than Rest In Peace, Brian.
    I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?
    -Leo Durocher

redshark63 is offline MotownSports Fan

When I logged on this morning, the first place I was going to go was the B & G to see what his status was, but before I got there I saw "Brian Bluh..." in the showing thread in the Tigers History section.

All I can say is Oh my God!

Brian brought so much to this forum for me. His insights and opinions were always insightful - especially in the HOF and minor league discussions.

Nice gesture by Dave T to rename the HOF in Brian's honor.

He will be sincerely missed by me.

RIP, Brian
    2014 AAT: Drew VerHagen

FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

It still feels unreal. Of the 30 poor souls in the Norris Hall, what were the chances one of them was Brian? This is just...I'm at a loss for words here. Stunned.
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I can't stop crying.
    2014 AAT:Daniel Fields All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infantís life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Totally surreal - I can't bring myself to believe that it's true right now. I hope that someone got names crossed up.

WayDowntownBang is offline MotownSports Fan

Guys..

I haven't posted here since 2004 but saw someone at Inferno's website mention this. It hit me hard, even though this is a name I've NEVER seen, a person I've NEVER spoken to, and haven't ever heard his name until this moment.

It hit me because the board I admin lost a valued member (was voted 2006 Poster of the Year the week of his death) to a car accident - and he was only sixteen.

Just know that there are many who feel your pain, and the feelings that you have - even for someone that you don't know in real life, are real, and they aren't just 'stupid internet' things. This is the thread where we found out that Scott had died. I'll be providing a link to this thread on my board as well, so I hope you guys don't take this as a spam at all. I just know how you are feeling, and thought it might help.

Rest in Peace, Brian. From what I've read already, you're a special person.
    Last edited by WayDowntownBang; 04-17-2007 at 08:06 AM.
    RIP Brian and Scott - Only The Good Die Young.

slim pickens is offline MotownSports Fan

It was hard to sleep last night. I tossed and turned all night and slept for only a few hours. I know it may sound silly to some, but I felt like I actually knew Brian, even though it is only through a message board. But that tells you about the community that has been built here.
    1.21 gigawatts?!.......

VT

WayDowntownBang is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by slim pickens View Post
    It was hard to sleep last night. I tossed and turned all night and slept for only a few hours. I know it may sound silly to some, but I felt like I actually knew Brian, even though it is only through a message board. But that tells you about the community that has been built here.
    That's not silly at all. Read through the link I put in my other post - you're NOT alone. People who don't become part of an online community won't be able to understand - but I was up for NIGHTS without sleep when Scott died.

You guys seem to have a real tight community like us, and that makes this more difficult for everyone.
    RIP Brian and Scott - Only The Good Die Young.

Charles Liston is offline MotownSports Fan

What a nice person. Totally sane.

I was shocked when I heard the news about VT, but I wasn't really worried about estrepe - there must be thousands of students there, right? I thought about him, wondering how he was dealing with it all. And now to log on this morning and find out that the unthinkable is actually true, it is so unbelievable. Such a senseless waste.

Friendships in the 21st century are certainly different. Like so many others here I never met or spoke to Brian and probably never would have in my lifetime. But I couldn't possibly feel any worse right now if one of my "real world" friends had died.

tigerfanfromchicago is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by jackson_cannery View Post
    Here's a happy memory:

Somehow, I'd held back from crying until I saw this. To remember the height of happiness on this board, and combine it what we're going through now, it's really unimaginable.
    2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Rajai Davis

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I am truly saddened.

We will miss you Brian. Forever.

I will be getting in contact with Dan Dickerson through my sister later today. Hopefully, he and the TV guys can get a message out during tonights game.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by slim pickens View Post
    This is sad beyond comprehension. We can only pray for his family and friends. Probably many people here on montown had similar experiences last night.

DetroitFolly is offline MotownSports Fan

Folks...

none of your feelings is silly in this. Even if we never meet in person...some of the best discussions we will ever have happen right here. In a way, we knew Brian better than many of our "real" friends. This is a real community.

Brian was a prime example of why this place continues to draw us in, and keep us here.

Thanks, Brian.
    VT

Blog Entries

That post makes me smile, and teary but I'm in the middle of class. I've been trying hard to hold feelings back.

I remember telling him last year as a joke that the Hobbes avatar was much better then the VT one. Well, wear your VT up there with pride, Brian.
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

Ron Burgandy is offline MotownSports Fan

Tragic news. Brian and I corresponded a few times off-line, and he always came across as a really, really nice and intelligent guy. Although we occassionally butted heads on-line, he was a poster whom I always had the utmost respect for.

If nothing else, I take solace knowing he was able to watch, and enjoy, the magical 2006 campaign.

This place will never be the same without him. Rest in peace, Brian.
    Last edited by Ron Burgandy; 04-17-2007 at 08:42 AM.
    It's so damned hot out...milk was a bad choice.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

Horrible news. Was worrying about it all night hoping when I got home this morning that he had checked in and everything was well. Instead come here before anything else and see the RIP and know instantly what happened. Great poster, great person, great friend.

2007 is Brian's year.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Blog Entries

We've lost 3 posters in 3 years. Peter Gdanic was lost in 2005. He wasn't as known as Estrepe or Billy Ringo, but it was still a loss.

tigersfandm is offline MotownSports Fan

Wow, what are the chances that out of 26,000 people that I hear are enrolled at VT that he is one of the 32. Life makes zero sense sometimes. Is there a way we can retire his avitar or something? Kind of like how numbers are retired?

Todd is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tigersfandm View Post
    Wow, what are the chances that out of 26,000 people that I hear are enrolled at VT that he is one of the 32. Life makes zero sense sometimes. Is there a way we can retire his avitar or something? Kind of like how numbers are retired?
    he should always be listed as the number poster
    I have No agenda in the Morning

Blog Entries

The last time I spoke directly to E was over private messaging the day before the shooting. I didn't think it would be the last time I'd speak to him...

chuckles396 is offline MotownSports Fan

I really don't know what to say. I'm still new here. I hardly knew him. I just talked a little with him about minor league baseball. He really knew his stuff.

Even though I hardly knew him, my heart still hurts deeply.

"I am king of the diamond! Let there be a grand clubhouse feast. Bring me the finest meats and cheeses in all the land!Ē

2010 AAT - Alexis Espinoza, OF, West Michigan Whitecaps

MIgal1 is offline MotownSports Fan

As a daily reader and "sometime poster", this has stunned me. I always enjoyed his posts and point of view. This is awful.

God Bless his friends & family. RIP.
    Only a game? No For some of us it is much more than only the game. You don't have to be on the field or a professional to have the game interact with your life....~Hueytaxi 2011 - ATT Rick Porcello

One Man's Fool is offline MotownSports Fan

I hope his parents and his sister will get to see this thread. They should know how beloved Brian was on this board.
    Dan Calabrese
    2008 Adopted Tiger: Adrian Casanova (Catcher, West Michigan) .282 avg., 1 HR, 5 RBI, .370 OBP
    All-Time Adopted Tiger: Danny Meyer

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

This is a fun story. Back in 2005 when things were bleak for the Tigers, Brian was in AskBA, a Q&A session on Baseball America. I pm'd him, told him his cover was blown, but as always, his secret was safe with me...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...kba05june.html

As a Tigers fan, I have been waiting for the team to develop some good talent for a long time. Is there reason for hope from new scouting director David Chadd's first draft for Detroit? I know that first-rounder Cameron Maybin was BA's No. 3-rated prospect. How good can he become? Was this a good draft class overall? I'm concerned about the college-heavy nature of this draft, since I feel like the Tigers system needs more high-ceiling prospects.

Brian Bluhm
    Blacksburg, Va

There's always reason for hope this close to draft day, because each team gets the guys at the top of its draft board when its picks roll around, and none of the players has had a chance to fail yet. OK, I've gotten my standard instant-draft-analysis caveat out of the way.

Maybin is a potential steal with the 10th overall pick in the draft. He'll need some time to develop, but he's a five-tool outfielder who compares very favorably to No. 1 choice Justin Upton. There was no red flag that caused Maybin to fall a little further than expected. He just didn't find a fit with the first nine clubs, most of whom were looking for someone who could reach the majors more quickly.

After Chadd left the Red Sox, who had an extreme college emphasis in 2003-04, I thought he might relish the opportunity to take more high school players. The Tigers didn't take a high schooler until tough sign David Adams in the 21st round and chose just 12 overall. But ultimately the value of the draft will be determined by the success of the players, and the demographics won't really matter. Detroit's draft has potential.

Detroit gave up its second-rounder to sign free agent Troy Percival. In the third round, the Tigers got a solid all-around catcher in Illinois' Chris Robinson. Their next three picks are all guys who have very high ceilings for their rounds.

Texas A&M righthander Kevin Whelan (fourth round) is a converted catcher who's just learning to harness a mid-90s fastball and two dastardly versions of a splitter. Arizona State first baseman Jeff Larish (fifth) once was projected as the best hitter in the 2004 draft class, and while he has slipped there's still some hitting talent in there. Outfielder Clete Thomas (sixth) never played up to his tools at Auburn, but he has considerable tools.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

G.Reaper is offline MotownSports Fan

Default I took this from the Ringo thread...

it seems to fit...

I have been kicking my own...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

azz since the Monday following the game in Grand Rapids and seeing the pictures of all you smiling Moron's, that I did not make time to go and meet Billy. Up until yesterday on our way home from a wedding in Gaylord, my wife did not understand why I was being so hard on myself. My good friend, met him here, BaseballBruce30 called to inform me of the loss of our friend Billy. As I hung up and informed her of Billy's demise, it became painfully clear as to why I had been so upset that I did not go.
    As I have tried to abide by since I lost my best friend in 2002, "Do it today, for tomorrow is promised to no man". Once again I missed a golden opportunity that I shall not be afforded again.

RIP Billy Ringo, a man who once typed in reference to our 2006 Opening Day activities," I too fear the Grim Reaper", somehow I seriously doubt he would have feared my namesake or myself.
    RIP Brian, take care of him Billy.
    Cogito Ergo Zoom...Grief is not like fear. fear tastes like rust and you can spit it out. grief has no taste, and you cannot get familiar with it.
    B.Ringo VT RIP David E.

belcherboy is offline MotownSports Fan

It is hard to believe the ONE guy I know from VaTech was involved with this stupid incident. As we can all tell Brian was VERY popular. From the Tigers board to the other sports board and even a frequented the political board. He will be missed and I still cannot believe he was in that classroom!

Let me know if you guys plan anything. I would love to be a part of it if I can.

I'm thinking of going to the Tigers game on Saturday April 28th against the Twins. That might give everyone enough time to come together. Also let me know if you start a charity in his honor!

MelissaG915 is offline MotownSports Fan

it seems too senseless
    AAT '12 - Dan Schlereth

keglerv is offline MotownSports Fan

As many have already said, I am absolutely stunned. Estrepe is one of the guys whose opinion I always valued. What a shame that such a thoughtful and intelligent young man is know longer with us because of utter nonsense. Most of the time I agreed with him, but when we didn't agree it was always thoughtful conversation. He was a huge asset to the site and I just can't believe it. It just goes to show that we should all live life to the fullest every day. RIP Brian.
    Mike
    "Choice without consequences is no choice at all."

potthole is offline MotownSports Fan

Sleep sure did not come easy to me last night. I'm still just in utter shock about this.
    2014 AAT: Jeff Jones

*ESTREPE1*
    VT

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

RIP Brian, you will be GREATLY missed.

Puts things into perspective very quickly.

Tigercub33 is offline MotownSports Fan

I stayed late at work last night hoping to hear something positive. Like others have said, I figured that with 30+ out of 25K+ there was no way E would have been one...

As others have said, I never met the guy, but I am shaken beyond belief. I was helping with info because he wanted to buy a new HDTV. He was thinking of moving to B-More and suggested we meet up for the Tigers v Nationals this year (I know he suggested the same to Burgandy). We disagreed on certian things, but when we did, he was most often right. He ALWAYS had the knowledge I was looking for on a certain player.

Before I keep rattling on, I will just say that even though I never met, I really considered him a friend.

If anyone knows anything about funeral arrangments (where it is at, what we can do) please let me know. I want to do something for him.

Also, if anyone here is going to the Tigers vs Nationals, please let me know. I don't want to pass up meeting more friends before the chnace it too late.

-Sam
    MTS Usual Suspects: banded together, mocking those who dare disagree with our way of thinking.
    ignorance = ignore list

Lbh24 is offline MotownSports Fan

To say this is horrible it's an understatement, but I don't know what else to say
    2009 Piston: Rip Hamilton - Guard
    2010 Adopt-A-Tiger: Lloyd McClendon

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

I only got about 2 hours and I must admit I feel guilty. If I got word yesterday that Brian was ok, I'd have slept like a baby and not given this tragedy much more thought yet the same amount of people would have been affected. How many hundreds of families are shattered by this? Let's remember to keep them all in our prayers. Our loss is small compared to theirs. If Brian's loss brought out all of this from us only because of a shared love for a baseball team and internet postings, then I can only imagine what those people who really knew him and loved him must be going through.

CaliforniaDreaming is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm amazed at internet friendship. I'll miss Brian (even though I didn't know his first name until today!). I'm praying for his family and all the others...

Ron Burgandy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by keglerv View Post
    It just goes to show that we should all live life to the fullest every day.
    Fortunately, based on his good nature and seemingly always upbeat attitude, I suspect Brian did just that.
    It's so damned hot out...milk was a bad choice.

tiger paw paw is offline MotownSports Fan

I read much more than I post, but I will tell you that three or four posters here have my respect to a point where I completely reconsider my stance if they are on the other side. Brian was one of them.

I am guilty of grazing forums occasionally. In this one I have read every post. I generally dislike VT, but I think today I am going to pick myself up a hat...

I never met you. Based on how you represented yourself here, I know I never actually needed to meet you to realize you were one classy individual.

RIP Brian.

Lurking does not by itself make you a troll

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast