Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Something that is blunt and direct alludes to it's win now or we're cleaning house.

I'm not a PR guy, but something along the lines of:

"We are evaluating the leadership and future of this organization from top to bottom based on the product that is put on the football field. I know that Detroit Lions fans are frustrated with the losing product that has been displayed on the field and so am I. We expect to be a playoff team this upcoming season. Furthermore, we expect to be able to deliver a victory for our fans in the playoffs. Falling short of that standard is not something I will accept as the owner of this franchise and something I know our loyal fans will not accept. Should we not me the high expectations that both the fans of this organization and I have set, we will make any and all changes necessary put a winning product on the field for our fans."

Basically, Quinn and Patrica need to know the clock has run out and they're gone if we don't win and make the playoffs.

I don't like that kind of ultimatum because in football the reality is most seasons end up being dominated by injuries and you can't predict injuries. The Lions could make amazing progress in every facet of the play of both O and D players and still miss the playoffs if Stafford goes down. Likewise they may show little if any improvement player by player across the board and still sneak through if everyone stays health plus with a few favorable bounces and a little injury 'luck' in the rest of the division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tater is just mad Ken Holland made the hockey Hall of Fame today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People put way too much stock into that whole ultimatum thing.   She said she wants to see dramatic improvement from the team and that's all you can really ask for. 

 Putting a playoff or bust scenario opens you up to all kinds of possibilities due to the nature of football, especially in this crazy year.   Teams have made the playoffs winning 7 games while missing when winning 10.   

What if the Lions sneak in by winning 8 games and look like crap doing it?  If you say playoffs or bust you are now forced to keep them or renege on your word.   

Same with the other scenario of 10 wins and no playoffs.  What if they look great for those 10 wins but the injury bug hits them down the stretch so they finish bad and miss the playoffs.  Do you fire them?   

I think saying you expect major improvement is exactly what you should say in situations like this.  There's no need to give a hard and fast ultimatum like some people here seem to want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't like that kind of ultimatum because in football the reality is most seasons end up being dominated by injuries and you can't predict injuries. The Lions could make amazing progress in every facet of the play of both O and D players and still miss the playoffs if Stafford goes down. Likewise they may show little if any improvement player by player across the board and still sneak through if everyone stays health plus with a few favorable bounces and a little injury 'luck' in the rest of the division.

If injuries happen and this season goes down the tank that's Quinn's for constructing a roster with little depth of talent, which thus far he has done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

People put way too much stock into that whole ultimatum thing.   She said she wants to see dramatic improvement from the team and that's all you can really ask for. 

 Putting a playoff or bust scenario opens you up to all kinds of possibilities due to the nature of football, especially in this crazy year.   Teams have made the playoffs winning 7 games while missing when winning 10.   

What if the Lions sneak in by winning 8 games and look like crap doing it?  If you say playoffs or bust you are now forced to keep them or renege on your word.   

Same with the other scenario of 10 wins and no playoffs.  What if they look great for those 10 wins but the injury bug hits them down the stretch so they finish bad and miss the playoffs.  Do you fire them?   

I think saying you expect major improvement is exactly what you should say in situations like this.  There's no need to give a hard and fast ultimatum like some people here seem to want. 

They were 3-12-1, so almost anything above 6 wins could be considered a major improvement. Quinn and Patricia need to field a team that not only makes the playoffs, but looks good doing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Were they ever told that? I don't believe the public statement released at the end of the season didn't explicitly lay out playoffs or get fired. I believe it was more or less along the lines of do better, but nothing specific to being a playoff team.

A public statement like that is poor leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

A public statement like that is poor leadership.

I think poor leadership is not laying out expectations and guidelines for your organization. Old Man Ford never laid out or really had expectations and never had any guidelines for how he ran this franchise. I think it would be perfectly reasonable for Sheila to publicly lay out the expectation that this team needs to have significant improvement that coincides with making the playoffs and possibly winning a playoff game or else changes will occur. I don't think that is either unprofessional or unreasonable to ask. It is certainly better than what the Ford Family has historically done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also not sure how good it would look from a PR standpoint to be threatening people their jobs and handing out ultimatums considering the current situation going on in the world.   

This season is likely going to be unlike any we have ever seen before, so imo this isn't the season to be publicly laying out ultimatums.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again with the assumption that what was said as PR equates to what has been relayed to the front office.

You do not know that to be the case and this type of reasoning is both tired and beneath your intelligence level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard the reason she stepped down is that she hadn't ever worked for the Patriots before.............trying to source that however..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

They were 3-12-1, so almost anything above 6 wins could be considered a major improvement. Quinn and Patricia need to field a team that not only makes the playoffs, but looks good doing it. 

If they were to go 9-7 but be the first team to miss the players,  they'll be back.    if they go 8-8 but only a couple of plays costs them games, they'll be back.  It's not Playoffs or Bust.    But if they have a losing record..........they gone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If they were to go 9-7 but be the first team to miss the players,  they'll be back.    if they go 8-8 but only a couple of plays costs them games, they'll be back.  It's not Playoffs or Bust.    But if they have a losing record..........they gone.  

If they go 9-7, which Quinn himself said wasn't good enough, miss the playoffs, and get brought back then fans will have every right to think Sheila accepts mediocrity just like her father.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If they go 9-7, which Quinn himself said wasn't good enough, miss the playoffs, and get brought back then fans will have every right to think Sheila accepts mediocrity just like her father.

.......and ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If they go 9-7, which Quinn himself said wasn't good enough, miss the playoffs, and get brought back then fans will have every right to think Sheila accepts mediocrity just like her father.

Based on a 1-year record?

Beyond myopic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lions suck really bad..."We need change!!!!" - Yes correct attitude

Lions are a .500 team with mediocre talent ...."We need change now!!!!" - Kind of crazy talk IMO

Lions have a winning record...."They accept mediocrity we need change now!!!!!" - Extreme crazy talk IMO

Do we see a couple patterns?  Minus the Millen era which was straight up kooky dooks....the team always sucks and the front office keeps making changes....maybe, just MAYBE the answer to a winning record is to NOT change everything and MAYBE give it more than 1-2 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Lions suck really bad..."We need change!!!!" - Yes correct attitude

Lions are a .500 team with mediocre talent ...."We need change now!!!!" - Kind of crazy talk IMO

Lions have a winning record...."They accept mediocrity we need change now!!!!!" - Extreme crazy talk IMO

Do we see a couple patterns?  Minus the Millen era which was straight up kooky dooks....the team always sucks and the front office keeps making changes....maybe, just MAYBE the answer to a winning record is to NOT change everything and MAYBE give it more than 1-2 years?

Like they did with Millen? 

quote-you-gotta-know-when-to-hold-em-kno

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Like they did with Millen? 

quote-you-gotta-know-when-to-hold-em-kno

Quote

 Minus the Millen era which was straight up kooky dooks

And we should ALL be running from this franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 11:16 AM, John_Brian_K said:

Lions suck really bad..."We need change!!!!" - Yes correct attitude

Lions are a .500 team with mediocre talent ...."We need change now!!!!" - Kind of crazy talk IMO

Lions have a winning record...."They accept mediocrity we need change now!!!!!" - Extreme crazy talk IMO

Do we see a couple patterns?  Minus the Millen era which was straight up kooky dooks....the team always sucks and the front office keeps making changes....maybe, just MAYBE the answer to a winning record is to NOT change everything and MAYBE give it more than 1-2 years?

Russ Thomas was Old Man Ford's drinking buddy and GM for over 25 years. Chuck Schmidt got a decade as GM, Millen got almost a decade, Mayhew got 7 seasons, and now Quinn has had 4 seasons. This organization is not like the Jimmy Haslam run Cleveland Browns, we don't blow out regimes every two seasons, which is a good thing. If anything, we give regimes too much time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Russ Thomas was Old Man Ford's drinking buddy and GM for over 25 years. Chuck Schmidt got a decade as GM, Millen got almost a decade, Mayhew got 7 seasons, and now Quinn has had 4 seasons. This organization is not like the Jimmy Haslam run Cleveland Browns, we don't blow out regimes every two seasons, which is a good thing. If anything, we give regimes too much time.

lol.  you know you can root for another team, right?

i mean, i love/hate this woebegone franchise as much as anyone, but you take this Lions hate to another level.  go root for the ravens or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be tough for the Lions until they have an owner that has more than a blind luck chance of being able to hire and manage a successful pro sports franchise front office. From the beginning WCF was never that guy. Martha may (or may not) be a nice lady, bless her soul, and her daughter may have wanted to work for the NFL 40 yrs ago, but neither of them has any kind of background that would prepare them to manage an NFL franchise and win with it either. So maybe they have finally lucked into better management with Quinn, but  it's hard to be optimistic from what we've seen so far.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The amazing thing (to me) with Millen is they dodged the bullet one time, yet had to go back and hire him later.

lol

that was bill ford jr.'s call.  so maybe its good that he's not running the team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The MIT MBA Bill Ford Jr?

is that where his daddy bribed them to let him in?

i thought he was a princeton briber?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,736
    • Total Posts
      2,999,387
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...