Looks like they need to update the banner now with a new face. Nothing will change though, they are still the most pathetic ownership family or group in all of the major 4 American sports leagues.

4b1e18f5-0b3d-4e78-89cb-30c59861b4fc-201

23 minutes ago, Oblong said:

The management part no problem, but what do you suppose they really mean by 'succeed as principal owner'? Has she bought out her sibling's interests? Or did mom just shaft the rest of them and gift it to her. And either way who paid  the gift tax? Or do they just mean SFH is functioning as owner's agent?

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The management part no problem, but what do you suppose they really mean by 'succeed as principal owner'? Has she bought out her sibling's interests? Or did mom just shaft the rest of them and gift it to her. And either way who paid  the gift tax? Or do they just mean SFH is functioning as owner's agent?

I'm assuming there's paperwork involved..... They could name you or I as principal owner but until the actual shares of the team change hands then there's no financial or tax issues.  It just means the signatory authority within the organization is transferred.

Martha is 94. Her health is probably declining and she can't handle the day to day anymore. We'll see when she dies where the real ownership goes. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Looks like they need to update the banner now with a new face. Nothing will change though, they are still the most pathetic ownership family or group in all of the major 4 American sports leagues.

4b1e18f5-0b3d-4e78-89cb-30c59861b4fc-201

No.........Can't say that.   Not with James Dolan and Dan Snyder owning teams.    Especially Dolan..............barring people for saying Sell The Team...........at least the Fords don't do that.   At least the Fords don't throw former Lions out of the stadium because they might  have been critical of the team.   They had something good going with Caldwell, they just needed to get a little better, not tear it apart like Quinn and Patricia have done.  Sheila will get to hire her GM in a few months after the team goes 5-11.  

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Sheila will get to hire her GM in a few months after the team goes 5-11.  

Do you think the Lions are going to have to do more than just designate Sheila the primary manager before they will be able to attract top FO talent? If anything, Martha stepping away is just more evidence of how ephemeral the current ownership structure is. I'd be looking for something like what the Ilitches did to establish the future of the team before Mike passed. Not the same structure but a public statement that there is a succession plan that is a fait accompli rather than an impending family proxy fight. I don't see that in this announcement - unless I'm just missing it.

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Do you think the Lions are going to have to do more than just designate Sheila the primary manager before they will be able to attract top FO talent? If anything, Martha stepping away is just more evidence of how ephemeral the current ownership structure is. I'd be looking for something like what the Ilitches did to establish the future of the team before Mike passed. Not the same structure but a public statement that there is a succession plan that is a fait accompli rather than an impending family proxy fight. I don't see that in this announcement - unless I'm just missing it.

It's Sheila's team,  there is no interim and there is no power play coming.  Sheila's in charge.    

25 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No.........Can't say that.   Not with James Dolan and Dan Snyder owning teams.    Especially Dolan..............barring people for saying Sell The Team...........at least the Fords don't do that.   At least the Fords don't throw former Lions out of the stadium because they might  have been critical of the team.   They had something good going with Caldwell, they just needed to get a little better, not tear it apart like Quinn and Patricia have done.  Sheila will get to hire her GM in a few months after the team goes 5-11.  

I'm old enough to remember when we wanted Mayhew and Caldwell gone and Caldwell was forced upon Quinn because Martha liked him. 

its hard to criticize anything martha did other than relying on others to make her gm search.  and thats not really a big criticism, she knew she didnt have the knowledge to make the pick herself.

not having that knowledge could be a criticism.

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It's Sheila's team,  there is no interim and there is no power play coming.  Sheila's in charge.    

I don't see that that resolves the question of whether  she will  still in charge when Martha dies.  You can't just give a 2 billion dollar asset to your daughter free and clear by signing an ownership sheet with the league, even in Trump's America.  I have trouble imagining the other 3 siblings and their heirs just walking away from a half billion $ interest in the name of sibling love.

Either there has been a whole lot of wheeling and dealing done in the background, which should at least have generated some IRS filings - or the succession is still unplanned.

All Martha did was say she is stepping down as principal owner. It sounds like she still owns the team. I doubt anything changed in the ownership and just that Sheila is probably handling all the operations now. Martha is 94. She probably can't handle the day to day anymore. I'm betting Martha still has to sign off on things like replace the GM. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

All Martha did was say she is stepping down as principal owner. It sounds like she still owns the team. I doubt anything changed in the ownership and just that Sheila is probably handling all the operations now. Martha is 94. She probably can't handle the day to day anymore. I'm betting Martha still has to sign off on things like replace the GM. 

This is what I would also think - which means that long term ownership is still uncertain if you want to replace the FO, which was my original point.

There goes the greatest owner this franchise ever had.   

Ford-Hemp's press conference was disappointing for sure. She said she "hates to lose as much as fans do". If that was the case there would be a new Team President, General Manager and Head Coach running this organization. Hopefully she's truly playoffs or bust this season. If this regime goes 8-8 or 9-7 and fails to make the playoffs and Sheila keeps them all around that will tell us a lot about her.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What should she have said?

Something that is blunt and direct alludes to it's win now or we're cleaning house.

I'm not a PR guy, but something along the lines of:

"We are evaluating the leadership and future of this organization from top to bottom based on the product that is put on the football field. I know that Detroit Lions fans are frustrated with the losing product that has been displayed on the field and so am I. We expect to be a playoff team this upcoming season. Furthermore, we expect to be able to deliver a victory for our fans in the playoffs. Falling short of that standard is not something I will accept as the owner of this franchise and something I know our loyal fans will not accept. Should we not me the high expectations that both the fans of this organization and I have set, we will make any and all changes necessary put a winning product on the field for our fans."

Basically, Quinn and Patrica need to know the clock has run out and they're gone if we don't win and make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Something that is blunt and direct alludes to it's win now or we're cleaning house.

I'm not a PR guy, but something along the lines of:

"We are evaluating the leadership and future of this organization from top to bottom based on the product that is put on the football field. I know that Detroit Lions fans are frustrated with the losing product that has been displayed on the field and so am I. We expect to be a playoff team this upcoming season. Furthermore, we expect to be able to deliver a victory for our fans in the playoffs. Falling short of that standard is not something I will accept as the owner of this franchise and something I know our loyal fans will not accept. Should we not me the high expectations that both the fans of this organization and I have set, we will make any and all changes necessary put a winning product on the field for our fans."

Basically, Quinn and Patrica need to know the clock has run out and they're gone if we don't win and make the playoffs.

that would have made all the difference.  now they'll never make the playoffs.

40 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I have no reason to suppose they don't know that.

Were they ever told that? I don't believe the public statement released at the end of the season didn't explicitly lay out playoffs or get fired. I believe it was more or less along the lines of do better, but nothing specific to being a playoff team.

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

that would have made all the difference.  now they'll never make the playoffs.

How do we know that Sheila isn't loyal to a fault like her dad and Quinn and Patrica don't get another 2-3-4 years to screw things up around here? I think putting out a more clear, direct statement about the expectations of this organization would have better cleared things up for the fans and media and squarely put the focus on playoffs or be fired. If they go 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, miss the playoffs and this regime is retained, that will answer a lot of questions itself about Sheila.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Were they ever told that? I don't believe the public statement released at the end of the season didn't explicitly lay out playoffs or get fired. I believe it was more or less along the lines of do better, but nothing specific to being a playoff team.

I do not know what they were told.  You do not know either.

I would not draw much inference from her statement, and I would advise anyone likewise.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

How do we know that Sheila isn't loyal to a fault like her dad and Quinn and Patrica don't get another 2-3-4 years to screw things up around here? I think putting out a more clear, direct statement about the expectations of this organization would have better cleared things up for the fans and media and squarely put the focus on playoffs or be fired. If they go 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, miss the playoffs and this regime is retained, that will answer a lot of questions itself about Sheila.

How do we know she isn't secretly Catwoman?

You think the meme JBK posted was a coincidence?  Because I sure as **** don't.

• Haha 1