Yoda

MLB to Resume

Looking at Verlander's career numbers and aside from his 05 season where he only pitched 2 games he has been worth 3 fwar(technically he had 2.8 his rookie year but I'll round up) every season he has been in the majors.   That's 14 straight seasons of 3 wins or better, that is freaking remarkable.  I looked up guys like Clemens, Maddux, Randy Johnson, Pedro, Ryan, Koufax and none of them accomplished that.   Unless I'm missing somebody he could be the only post deadball era pitcher in the history of baseball to do that.    Unreal. 

Looks like Seaver had a similar streak. Not a bad class to be in. I hope one of the darn prospects from the trade has a 3-war season.

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Looking at Verlander's career numbers and aside from his 05 season where he only pitched 2 games he has been worth 3 fwar(technically he had 2.8 his rookie year but I'll round up) every season he has been in the majors.   That's 14 straight seasons of 3 wins or better, that is freaking remarkable.  I looked up guys like Clemens, Maddux, Randy Johnson, Pedro, Ryan, Koufax and none of them accomplished that.   Unless I'm missing somebody he could be the only post deadball era pitcher in the history of baseball to do that.    Unreal. 

Don Sutton 15 in a row and 19 out of 20.  

I looked him up because I remember him being really good and really consistent for a long time, but never got enough credit because he only won 20 games once.  I didn't like the guy because he pitched for the Dodgers and got a curly perm, but he was damn good.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Don Sutton 15 in a row and 19 out of 20.  

I looked him up because I remember him being really good and really consistent for a long time, but never got enough credit because he only won 20 games once.  I didn't like the guy because he pitched for the Dodgers and got a curly perm, but he was damn good.  

I guess I remember Sutton as not being the most popular player either - or maybe just a little more controversial.. Looking at his bio I guess bad-mouthing and then fighting with Garvey didn't help even if Garvey was a class A fake,

Great call on Sutton. Looked at a couple others and Mussina had 12 of 13 and Niekro 13 of 14. Still all HOFers which sheds light on JV's great career

Warren Spahn went 16 of 17

Just think of the streak Satchel Paige likely has. Stats just aren't there though.

And don't forget Billy Chapel who had 14 consecutive 3+ war seasons before he cut his hand

• Like 1

He is no King Felix

The thing with Verlander is he is a thrower and not a pitcher.  He is to proud and doesn't have the drive to make the changes to stay great.  All he tries to do is throw harder.

Also let's his emotions get the best of him.  I saw Ichiro take him deep in a one-run game after fouling off 6 pitches.  He lost focus and the Mariners won because of that. Now if you want to talk great players, Ichiro was great.

The other thing about Verlander was that once he started making big money and got involved with a super model he became distracted and didn't care about the game anymore.  

Tito Fuentes was cool with his bat flip. And don't sleep on John B Wockenfuss #handwavingmachine

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Should have moved Verlander to closer

Ben?

What are the Yankees thinking with this type of workout?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Shelton said:

What are the Yankees thinking with this type of workout?

The whole thing is very odd.  You've got a live batter against a live pitcher with a bunch of players just standing around randomly.  It's type of scene where'd you'd expect to see a batting practice pitcher with a protective screen.  

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

David Price withdraws from the 2020 season. 

Dodgers be like: “no, stop, don’t opt out with no pay.”

I have long thought of Price as a mercenary, so this opt out surprises me.  

Buster Posey is leaving the door open to sitting out 2020. 

59 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Buster Posey is leaving the door open to sitting out 2020. 

I'm telling ya its our year!