Yoda

MLB to Resume

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I still don’t think overall game length is the problem. It’s the dead periods within the game that are the problem. And those are going to happen no matter what. 

It didn't used to be that way.  If you watch videos of old games, they moved along a lot faster because pitchers pitched quickly and batters were ready to bat.  Whether they can force players to get back to that is the big question.  

I noticed watching some older games on yt that there wasn't as many ball changes.  Whether the ball hit the dirt or not the catcher just threw it straight back to the pitcher.

Now the catcher looks at it, swaps it with the ump throws the new ball back to the pitcher,  the pitcher then exams it and decides if he likes the new ball, then proceeds to rub it in his hands to get a feel for it I guess.  

The whole process may add an extra 30 or so seconds every time its done which doesn't sound like much but if its done a dozen times a game now you're talking an extra 6 minutes to the game.   

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

It didn't used to be that way.  If you watch videos of old games, they moved along a lot faster because pitchers pitched quickly and batters were ready to bat.  Whether they can force players to get back to that is the big question.  

I meant periods of the game where nothing is happening. 1-2-3 innings with routine grounders. 2 out singles. even a quickly paced game can have a lot of dead/boring time

26 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I meant periods of the game where nothing is happening. 1-2-3 innings with routine grounders. 2 out singles. even a quickly paced game can have a lot of dead/boring time

That is why they juice the ball.  I think they have over done it though.  

Back to coronavirus for a minute...

Now that Europe has opened back up again, soccer players are dropping like flies.  Positive tests all over the place.

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

Now that Europe has opened back up again, soccer players are dropping like flies.  Positive tests all over the place.

My whole life I've never seen a fly drop.

14 minutes ago, leflore said:

You don't remember watching Delmon and Raburn?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

I thought that's what they do to draw red cards?

36 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

You don't remember watching Delmon and Raburn?

Don't remind me. I have a slight case of post traumatic Delmon syndrome. Stewart is a current trigger

1 hour ago, leflore said:

my mind is blown....

I am just thankful nobody died or was seriously maimed in that play.

I know other #1 prospects have failed worse than Delmon but usually they atleast had some redeaming qualities about them that just didn't translate as they moved up in competition.  With Delmon I never saw that other than raw power.

I watched him with TB and he looked just as lost and unathletic there.