Yoda

MLB to Resume

11 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

you don't take an Orangutan bowling.

Nobody F’s with the Simian.  

LigaMX just announced that one of its teams had 39 positive tests and is canceling that team's games for the next two weeks.

must be a cultural thing...

two mets test positive.  more games canceled.

Brian Dozier dfa'd at age 33. Imho he's an example of why the current FA system isn't player friendly. Despite getting MVP votes 3 consecutive years he's never made more than 9 mil in a season (not that 9 mil isn'ta ton of dinero). He's got 7 yrs on his meter and is obviously a FA now. But the current system rarely results in players hitting FA prior to age 30.

15 minutes ago, leflore said:

Brian Dozier dfa'd at age 33. Imho he's an example of why the current FA system isn't player friendly. Despite getting MVP votes 3 consecutive years he's never made more than 9 mil in a season (not that 9 mil isn'ta ton of dinero). He's got 7 yrs on his meter and is obviously a FA now. But the current system rarely results in players hitting FA prior to age 30.

but his level of production really fell off a few seasons ago, when still young.  I actually think, in his case, it worked, so a team doesn't have to pay a fortune for a declining player.

15 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

but his level of production really fell off a few seasons ago, when still young.  I actually think, in his case, it worked, so a team doesn't have to pay a fortune for a declining player.

It worked as intended for the owners.

2 hours ago, leflore said:

baseball's system is very friendly for the owners despite people thinking its somehow a free for all for the players.

you get the guys in the prime of their careers for under market value.  the first three years for WAY under market value.  thats a great deal for the owners.

and stupid owners, like ours, pay way over market for guys like VMart and Miggy past their prime.... for things they did, not what they are doing or going to do.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

baseball's system is very friendly for the owners despite people thinking its somehow a free for all for the players.

you get the guys in the prime of their careers for under market value.  the first three years for WAY under market value.  thats a great deal for the owners.

I’d be up for starting arbitration/free agency sooner, to allow the players to capitalize in their primes, but opposed to any system that rewards a player for past performance.  

5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The years he got MVP votes were ages 28-30. You don't think a player should receive star money by that age when producing at a star level? Imho it highly favors the owners and I doubt the new cba will maintain that system. The fact that players don't hit FA until 30+ means many stars miss out on their big pay day, or idiot teams vastly overpay.

Edit - just saw your later post. I agree players shouldn't get paid on past performance. Just let them get paid in their prime. Maybe allow any player to hit FA by age 28 regardless of service time

The only way to provide equal pay for equal work would be to create a pay scale based on performance resulting with a cap which the union would never agree to, even with a built-in inflation factor.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Changing gears, overall the league has gone along smoother and gotten more games in this season than many expected.

Yes, I am kind of surprised there haven't been more issues along the way.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Changing gears, overall the league has gone along smoother and gotten more games in this season than many expected.

It probably took the ****show with the Cardinals and isolated issues with the Indians pitchers to serve as a cautionary tale for the rest of the league.

11 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It probably took the ****show with the Cardinals and isolated issues with the Indians pitchers to serve as a cautionary tale for the rest of the league.

Yep.  This has been working out and I think these early missteps were the best thing that could’ve happened.    

Yeah, and I've been enjoying the season quite a bit. Missed it more than I thought

even after all of their marginal rule changes, the games are taking longer this year than last year.

pitch clock pitch clock pitch clock.

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

even after all of their marginal rule changes, the games are taking longer this year than last year.

pitch clock pitch clock pitch clock.

If you make rule changes that don't address the problem, you don't solve your problem.  

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If you make rule changes that don't address the problem, you don't solve your problem.  

but those extra inning games are shorter.  i mean, thats what everyone was asking for...

it's what the media was asking for because they want to get home earlier.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

it's what the media was asking for because they want to get home earlier.

I'll admit that I want games over earlier, too.

I would like a pitch clock, too. But that doesn’t mean the current rule changes are not effective in shortening the length of a game. The games would be even longer with increased pitching changes and the old extra inning rule. 

I still don’t think overall game length is the problem. It’s the dead periods within the game that are the problem. And those are going to happen no matter what. But at least the occasional parade of relief pitchers has been reduced. And watching an intentional walk was never fun, even if it only took a minute. 

So, I have been wondering about how the various times that teams have been forced to sit for multiple days in a row due to Covid. It has happened quite a bit to a lot of different teams. Either because the team itself had the positive test or simply because you were scheduled to play the Covid+ team. 

I wonder whether there is anything that could be derived from team performance following these layoffs. Did it help or hurt? The sample is still relatively small, but it’s something. 

With playoff expansion being possible after this season, the potential advantage of a bye for the top couple seeds will probably be in play. People have worried about how sitting for a week might affect the bye teams. 

I think I like a 6 or 7 team format. But I think it’s also worth considering having the first round be a 5 game series but giving the higher seed a 1-0 head start and then home field after the first game of the series (or something like that) to create a real incentive to participating in the race and trying to finish higher. 

An 8 team system that simply gives the higher seed an extra home game in a short series is not ideal.