Yoda

MLB to Resume

But I believe his ops is higher at Comerica than the road, but maybe I just dreamt that, like when I dream that my chuck taylors are edible 

59 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well done, Royals,  Well done

Royals Weekend at Bernies

That's amazing. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well done, Royals,  Well done

Royals Weekend at Bernies

I saw that last night.  I pointed it out to my wife and then AJ Pierzynski started talking about it.  I think the cutouts are stupid, but this made me laugh.

So now some team needs to add a Waldo to its mix and another needs to add Elvis.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Alternately, signing Nick to a long term deal last April because of his ties to the organization and/or show the team was committed to him and/or he was bound to hit because he was entering the prime ages for hitting would have precisely been the sort of thing an irresponsible GM would do.

You do not give a long term deal to a mediocre player (which Nick objectively was with the Tigers) nor do you give one on the basis that you hope that a guy will suddenly start playing to his ceiling moving forward.

We'd have had no shortage of posts (rightfully so) *****ing about Al either not committing to the rebuild or being delusional about what phase of the rebuild the team was in or delusional about Nick's value as a player.

And I also think it is a little premature to suggest he is the next coming of JD Martinez after a few months of hitting the **** out of the ball.  Maybe he is, but it has not been demonstrated as of yet, in my opinion.

a 120 ops+ in multiple seasons before even hitting your athletic prime is not a medicore player.  

in 2018 he was right behind giancarlo stanton, francisco lindor, and nelson cruz, and ahead of michael brantley.  good for 15th in the american league.

in 2019 he got off to a bad start in detroit before leading the national league in ops in august and september for the cubs.

so far in 2020 he leads the league in ops (obviously way too early for anything truly meaningful, but its better to be leading the league than not).

if that's "mediocre," then mike trout is the only good player in the league.

as for jd martinez, he broke out at age 26 as a really good hitter (or apparently, as a mediocre one), but didnt become superstar jd martinez until he hit age 29.  castellanos is a notch below martinez so far, but not that far behind if you compare what they did by age.

i wouldnt be surprised if castellanos makes the same leap in a year or so that martinez made in his late 20s.  

again, i dont fault avila for trading him (even though it seems like he did it a year too late...as usual with Al), but he is a much better player than he's given credit for around here.  dude can rake.

5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

a 120 ops+ in multiple seasons before even hitting your athletic prime is not a medicore player.  

in 2018 he was right behind giancarlo stanton, francisco lindor, and nelson cruz, and ahead of michael brantley.  good for 15th in the american league.

in 2019 he got off to a bad start in detroit before leading the national league in ops in august and september for the cubs.

so far in 2020 he leads the league in ops (obviously way too early for anything truly meaningful, but its better to be leading the league than not).

as for jd martinez, he broke out at age 26 as a really good hitter (or apparently, as a mediocre one), but didnt become superstar jd martinez until he hit age 29.  castellanos is a notch below martinez so far, but not that far behind if you compare what they did by age.

i wouldnt be surprised if castellanos makes the same leap in a year or so that martinez made in his late 20s.  

again, i dont fault avila for trading him (even though it seems like he did it a year too late...as usual with Al), but he is a much better player than he's given credit for around here.  dude can rake.

Most of your argument against him being mediocre "with the Tigers" is what he did after he was traded. Sorry, but a 120 OPS+ with awful defense and really nowhere practical for him to play does kind of make him a mediocre "player". And the word player suggests his entire game, not just hitting. 

5 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Most of your argument against him being mediocre "with the Tigers" is what he did after he was traded. Sorry, but a 120 OPS+ with awful defense and really nowhere practical for him to play does kind of make him a mediocre "player". And the word player suggests his entire game, not just hitting. 

as opposed to jd martinez's defense?

i think offense is much more important than defense.  especially in right field, where he is playing now.

henning has indicated(via Littlefield or Avila) that the Tigers won't bring up Mize or Manning because of the chaotic schedule. 

►Casey Mize, right-handed starter: He is getting in five innings, or maybe a tad more, in his intra-squad starts. There have been no hitches. Mize is dress-rehearsing for what figures to be a long ride in Detroit. He is pumping up an arm that during this cobbled-together baseball year that needs to fling as many pitches as possible. His repertoire and command will put him into 2021’s rotation – probably immediately.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/08/06/how-top-tigers-prospects-faring-unconventional-baseball-toledo-taxi-squad/3309970001/

17 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Castellanos in his age 26-27 seasons:

.285/.337/.495, 49 HRs, 120 OPS+ in 1343 PAs.

JD Martinez in his age 26-27 seasons:

.296/.350/.543, 61 HRs, 145 OPS+ in 1137 PAs.

That's not a notch below, Castellanos isn't remotely close to JD if you compare by age. If Castellanos makes the same leap JD Martinez did, he'll reach the level JD was at prior to his leap.

35 minutes ago, Yoda said:

It depends on how you define mediocre.  In 2016, he was 2.3 WAR which is an average player.  In 2017, 0.8 (there is your mediocre player).  In 2018 he has 2.9 which is well above average.  In 2019, he was 1.2 (prorate it to 1.8 which is average).  Take the average of the 4 years and you get 2.0 which is exactly average.  So, he was an average. I suppose mediocre could be a glass half empty version of average.    

• Thanks 1

Mize pitching the home opener next year would be pretty awesome.

1 minute ago, TigerNation said:

That's not a notch below, Castellanos isn't remotely close to JD if you compare by age. If Castellanos makes the same leap JD Martinez did, he'll reach the level JD was at prior to his leap.

Right, I wouldn't compare him to JD Martinez (the second best Tiger hitter in the last 50 years).  

2 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

i would call that a notch below, but ymmv.

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Right, I wouldn't compare him to JD Martinez (the second best Tiger hitter in the last 50 years).  

how about 321/356/646?  is that a good comparison?

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i would call that a notch below, but ymmv.

Adam Dunn was just a notch below Miguel Cabrera as a hitter then? 

Adam Dunn was just a notch below Miguel Cabrera as a hitter then? 

last year?  yes.

speaking of cabrera, at what point do the tigers try to buy him out?  next year?

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

how about 321/356/646?  is that a good comparison?

If he does it for a few years, then yes.  

Career wise.

here are the differences between nick and jd in the numbers you gave me:

ba: +.14

obp: +.13

slg: +.48

here are the differences between dunn and cabrera career wise:

ba: + .77

obp: + .28

slg: +.52

not even comparable as players.  dunn was a slugger and cabrera a complete hitter.

so no, they arent comparable and neither is your attempt to compare them to my castellanos/martinez comparison.

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

speaking of cabrera, at what point do the tigers try to buy him out?  next year?

Looking to next year, does anyone think Gardenhire returns?

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

If he does it for a few years, then yes.  

i think he's on the jd martinez trajectory.  more likely, jd martinez lite.  which will still be very good.

but we'll see.  if it goes like most of my predictions he'll end up as christin stewart.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

here are the differences between nick and jd in the numbers you gave me:

ba: +.14

obp: +.13

slg: +.48

here are the differences between dunn and cabrera career wise:

ba: + .77

obp: + .28

slg: +.52

not even comparable as players.  dunn was a slugger and cabrera a complete hitter.

so no, they arent comparable and neither is your attempt to compare them to my castellanos/martinez comparison.

25 point gap in OPS+ between JD and Nick.

24 point gap in OPS+ between Cabrera and Dunn.

2 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

25 point gap in OPS+ between JD and Nick.

24 point gap in OPS+ between Cabrera and Dunn.

now do ba and obp!!!

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I saw that last night.  I pointed it out to my wife and then AJ Pierzynski started talking about it.  I think the cutouts are stupid, but this made me laugh.

So now some team needs to add a Waldo to its mix and another needs to add Elvis.

Or just the Sgt. Pepper cover.............

• Like 1