Yoda

MLB to Resume

15 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I'm not talking about cabin fever. Everybody has that.

I'm talking about incessant attempts to diminish the threat of this disease. Starting with six-hopper's "only 54 cases", Trump's "hoax", and currently up to approximately 120K deaths out of ~2.5MM positives (5% mortality rate) and continuing with Trump supporters refusal to wear masks. Pure political BS. My statement stands.

And yes, that may be a bit simplistic... there is going to be some nuance in there... Including kids (anyone under 25 let's say) saying "screw it".

But I believe the overwhelming driver in trying to diminish the threat of the disease is political.

I’m not taking about just cabin fever either. People have a general tendency to rationalize their actions and decisions. I can guarantee you that the hoards of people crammed into sidewalk tables in Ann Arbor aren’t predominantly republican.  People want to justify their new relaxed approach to the virus so there are plenty that will downplay its effects or its transmissibility so they don’t feel bad about themselves eating a salad while sitting in a metal chair outside with other people. 

8 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’m not taking about just cabin fever either. People have a general tendency to rationalize their actions and decisions. I can guarantee you that the hoards of people crammed into sidewalk tables in Ann Arbor aren’t predominantly republican.  People want to justify their new relaxed approach to the virus so there are plenty that will downplay its effects or its transmissibility so they don’t feel bad about themselves eating a salad while sitting in a metal chair outside with other people. 

(or attending blm protests)

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

you do realize that the people you see in those bars, including yourself are a self-selected sub-sample based on exactly on their belief the virus is yesterday's news.

Sure, but what I'm seeing is so widespread and on such a scale that it makes me think that it is a very large subset.   Bars doing big business..  Thirty or forty people standing in line at a Dairy Queen, practicing something much closer to six-inch social distancing than the six-foot version.  Tons of people milling around boat launches.  Public docks full of people fishing right next to each other.  Packed playgrounds.  Busy beaches and lots of people swimming without any apparent concern about COVID-19.  Baseball and softball teams with their players sitting right next to each other on the bench.  People playing basketball with lots of closeness and contact.  And many many people shopping without masks.

I'm sure that there is still a contingent of people hiding in their homes, wearing masks wherever they go, and using copious quantities of hand sanitizer.    But my observation  makes me think that that contingent is not very large, and that it is shrinking rapidly.  

27 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

The concentration of concern about the coronavirus on this board is much much higher than I am seeing in the real world.  Almost none of the small businesses I've visited in recent weeks are enforcing any sort of "social  distancing" or mask-wearing.  And two or three weeks ago, at big stores like Walmart and Meijer and Kroger, it appeared to me that about 90 percent of the customers were wearing masks.  This week it was down to maybe 60 percent.  And I've been in two large bars in the last week, and both of them were packed -- people sitting shoulder-to-shoulder at the bar, tables fully occupied, and no one but some of the employees wearing masks.

The Free Press keeps telling us that polls show people in Michigan strongly supporting Whitmer's orders and seriously concerned about a "second wave."  My observation makes me believe that is not true.  It appears to me that most people regard the virus as yesterday's news.  

ive been to quite a few businesses here in chicago and everyone inside (other than a few kids) had masks on the whole time.  every single one.

but i know my experience is just anecdotal and not universal and wouldnt dream of extrapolating from my limited world to the wider one.  that would be silly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yeah... OK, I hear you on that.

I love it when people say "hiding out in their homes".

• Like 1

So many Trumper arguments are based on others being weak and scared.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If we stay at home the terrorists win.

OK, now I'm confused. Osama was 'hiding out at home' when they got him. Was he winning or losing there? xD

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

And that's why Texas is up to 5,500 new cases per day and their ICU's are almost maxed out. Same with Florida.

Because too many morons don't have the intelligence to wear a mask or socially distance. That's 'Murica. Land of the Stupid Imbeciles.

I am soooo over hearing people call everyone in America idiots.  It is everywhere online...I mean I should be used to this by now and expect it because of what the internet is, but it still gets me.

I am not a huge "America ra ra ra!!" guy, but I do appreciate my freedoms and generally enjoy this country and everything it affords me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

The concentration of concern about the coronavirus on this board is much much higher than I am seeing in the real world.  Almost none of the small businesses I've visited in recent weeks are enforcing any sort of "social  distancing" or mask-wearing.  And two or three weeks ago, at big stores like Walmart and Meijer and Kroger, it appeared to me that about 90 percent of the customers were wearing masks.  This week it was down to maybe 60 percent.  And I've been in two large bars in the last week, and both of them were packed -- people sitting shoulder-to-shoulder at the bar, tables fully occupied, and no one but some of the employees wearing masks.

The Free Press keeps telling us that polls show people in Michigan strongly supporting Whitmer's orders and seriously concerned about a "second wave."  My observation makes me believe that is not true.  It appears to me that most people regard the virus as yesterday's news.  

And that's why we have this sorry state of affairs:

EbXN_3tWkAcT0V0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know what else we have in America?

Baseball.

And the Tigers have Tork, Dingler and Funkhauser.

Suck it Yankees.

and Windsor is operating like they are in our position with their rules.

I think the only thing we can be somewhat hopeful about, at least regarding this country and its increasing cases, plus our own situation here in Michigan, is that we know what is happening right now and how to fix it. Texas and AZ and FL are now dealing with what we dealt with back in March. They have a blueprint for how to fix it. They don’t have much of a choice. And we have a governor here that was through this once before and the phased re-opening makes it pretty clear what is causing this new increase. 

So hopefully those other states will shut it down. And hopefully Whitmer will tell the bars and restaurants “sorry, but society failed. Go back to no contact curbside.”

and we have the data to back up the idea you can't just go about as you were before so maybe people will react accordingly.... they had their few weeks to get it out of their system...

Just wait until fall when they find out the kiddos aren't going back to school.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

We don't want to be like him, right?

He had a wicked forkball. Castro had the sweeping curve. I still wanna be like Mike. Or Sebastian Cabot 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And I was hoping to get some nooners then.

yeah its been a minute

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

I am soooo over hearing people call everyone in America idiots.  It is everywhere online...I mean I should be used to this by now and expect it because of what the internet is, but it still gets me.

I am not a huge "America ra ra ra!!" guy, but I do appreciate my freedoms and generally enjoy this country and everything it affords me.

Sorry JB, but the objective facts are simply against us. Every other developed nation in the world, including ones with freedom indexes higher than ours, are handling this better. Americans made every stitch to sew this garment,  now we have to wear it.

The first step for every addict getting better is to admit admit their problem. Our addiction is a very self-inflated idea of how great we are.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Sorry JB, but the objective facts are simply against us. Every other developed nation in the world, including ones with freedom indexes higher than ours, are handling this better. Americans made every stitch to sew this garment,  now we have to wear it.

The first step for every addict getting better is to admit admit their problem. Our addiction is a very self-inflated idea of how great we are.

I think the majority of people in this country understand the good and bad of themselves along with the countries.  The media is not America, shoot even the internet with its anonymity is not America, individuals are America and individuals are just fine in this country.

Individuals are fine.  Groups are always the problem.  

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

were not ALL idiots, but we seem to have more than our fair share.