Yoda

MLB to Resume

32 minutes ago, Tigermania said:

I can look at it from the player and the organization's viewpoint.  Why not bring the young studs up and use them as much as possible if you know you aren't going to re-sign them anyway.  If they develop arm trouble from overuse, then so be it.  Why try to save them and limit their pitches if you aren't going to get them back anyway?

Personally, I am not that vicious, but some organizations are.  Look at the Cubs with Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

Again, blaming the other person. Sometimes players are fragile. 

25 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Is everything always someone else's fault? 

24 minutes ago, Yoda said:

What clueless fans think happens is not always the case. 

Well I guess you set me straight.  Thank goodness you were here to give me part of that unlimited wisdom.  Thank you.

It is a dirty business.  There’s a trade off to being able to play baseball for a fully guaranteed contract potentially worth hundreds of millions.  You have to work for a billion dollar organization that truly only cares about what you can do for their bottom line.    

20 minutes ago, Tigermania said:

Well I guess you set me straight.  Thank goodness you were here to give me part of that unlimited wisdom.  Thank you.

I'm here any time you need me, friend. 

1 hour ago, Tigermania said:

I can look at it from the player and the organization's viewpoint.  Why not bring the young studs up and use them as much as possible if you know you aren't going to re-sign them anyway.  If they develop arm trouble from overuse, then so be it.  Why try to save them and limit their pitches if you aren't going to get them back anyway?

Personally, I am not that vicious, but some organizations are.  Look at the Cubs with Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

Kerry Wood and Mark Prior were 2003. This is 2020. No organization is going to shred their homegrown arms like that anymore, especially if they want six-plus years out of them.

bringing up mize early would have been organizational malpractice, just like it would have been for the cubs to bring up kris bryant early.

and bryant will sign for whichever team offers him the most money.  if that team is the cubs, he will re-sign with the cubs.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

bringing up mize early would have been organizational malpractice, just like it would have been for the cubs to bring up kris bryant early.

and bryant will sign for whichever team offers him the most money.  if that team is the cubs, he will re-sign with the cubs.

The smart move would have been to resign Scherzer, keep Verlander, then sign a bunch of other FAs, to the point where they busted the luxury tax wide open and then magically draft really well. 

a) MAGA guy

b) knows and doesn't want people to find out. 

Any guesses? 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

a) MAGA guy

b) knows and doesn't want people to find out. 

Any guesses? 

Strip club.  Owned by Tony LaRussa.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, socaltiger said:

I would hold off Mize all of this year and through April of 2021 to retain all the control possible. If he is a stud Boras is going to walk him anyway. 

I wouldn't bring any of the Holy Trinity up this season, nor any of the hitters.  

The Cardinals & Tigers series has been adjusted.  Instead of at Detroit on Monday night & Tuesday afternoon and at St. Louis on Wednesday night & Thursday night, all 4 games will be in Detroit.  Tuesday night, a Wednesday doubleheader, and a Thursday afternoon game with Detroit the home team in the first two games and St. Louis the home team in the latter two games.  Assuming, of course, that the games are played.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

****ing farce.

It is, but what else can you do? I guess they could just call it an exhibition season.

7 minutes ago, leflore said:

It is, but what else can you do? I guess they could just call it an exhibition season.

They can't call it that if they're going to count the stats toward career totals and the World Series winner among history's champions.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to discount this season in the same way I discount 1981, at the very least. However, I still like watching the actual games even if they've been rendered essentially meaningless even in major league terms. It is still, without no doubt, the best baseball in the world, and that's all I want out of it right now.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

They can't call it that if they're going to count the stats toward career totals and the World Series winner among history's champions.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to discount this season in the same way I discount 1981, at the very least. However, I still like watching the actual games even if they've been rendered essentially meaningless even in major league terms. It is still, without no doubt, the best baseball in the world, and that's all I want out of it right now.

Yep

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

I wouldn't bring any of the Holy Trinity up this season, nor any of the hitters.  

While that obviously makes the best business sense to maintain control, I think it's also one of the main reasons the next CBA negotiations will be lengthy. It's best for the team, I agree. But you're holding back players who are ready for the show, just to keep control. Imho not fair to the player. I love the Tigers and want them to reach contention and maintain that long term. But in most cases I side with what's best for the player. If a guy is clearly ready for the show - and I believe Mize is - bring him up. I say kudos to the other teams that are doing that.

56 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is even worse than 1981.  At least the teams played relatively the same number of games in 1981.

41 minutes ago, leflore said:

While that obviously makes the best business sense to maintain control, I think it's also one of the main reasons the next CBA negotiations will be lengthy. It's best for the team, I agree. But you're holding back players who are ready for the show, just to keep control. Imho not fair to the player. I love the Tigers and want them to reach contention and maintain that long term. But in most cases I side with what's best for the player. If a guy is clearly ready for the show - and I believe Mize is - bring him up. I say kudos to the other teams that are doing that.

It doesn't make sense to me how holding a guy back for a week or two (or whatever the time frame is) leads to an extra season of control.  Its quite a loophole, and it makes sense to me to sew it up.

42 minutes ago, Buddha said:

This is even worse than 1981.  At least the teams played relatively the same number of games in 1981.

It doesn't even compare to 81.  One might give the 81 season an asterisk, but I don't discount it.  The split season was bush league, but at least they played about 110 and had a set schedule.

3 minutes ago, leflore said:

Cespedes didn't show up for the Mets game today and he didn't call in either. Hope he is ok

That's scary. 

Probably not going to be any games vs. Cards. Pretty stupid they were considering it to begin with. 

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

It doesn't make sense to me how holding a guy back for a week or two (or whatever the time frame is) leads to an extra season of control.  Its quite a loophole, and it makes sense to me to sew it up.

IDK, I'm sure they can cut down on the amount of abuse but getting rid of all of it could be trickier. If things are going to be based on any benchmark of service time, it seems there will always be some potential for managing guys to prevent guys from crossing the threshold in a given year. They probably need a completely different scheme but I don't know off hand what you would replace service time with.

34 minutes ago, leflore said:

Cespedes didn't show up for the Mets game today and he didn't call in either. Hope he is ok