Jump to content
Yoda

MLB to Resume

Recommended Posts

FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly ( December 2020 or January 2021). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

From an uneducated point of view it seems like it would be extremely difficult to spread while on the field considering guys rarely get within 6 feet of each other.   Of course that's assuming they aren't doing a bunch of pre or post game fraternizing at batting practice or whatever.    

I believe this is true, which is why they are probably spreading it while they are clustered together in the dugout or the clubhouse, and maybe even during the off hours while they are together eating, drinking, playing video games, hanging out, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if it is so difficult to spread outdoors, why dont we have fans in the stands?  why dont we have outdoor concerts?  shouldnt all beaches be open?  playgrounds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how do you have a legitimate season with so many teams canceling games?  

are the marlins going to be able to play again?  if the cardinals have to miss two weeks because they need to quarantine, how are they going to be able to play games?

seven inning double headers for some teams while others play 9 inning games?

this season is a farce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if it is so difficult to spread outdoors, why dont we have fans in the stands?  why dont we have outdoor concerts?  shouldnt all beaches be open?  playgrounds?

Sitting next to the same people for 3 hours in a stadium likely carries more risk than standing next to the first baseman for 5 minutes. Playground risk is probably mostly due to surface transmission. How many cases have been traced to crowded beaches? That infamous photo of revelers hanging out at some pool in Missouri over Memorial Day weekend did not lead to a breakout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

manfred says if the players cant police themselves, they'll cancel the season.

so there it is.  season is going to be canceled because the players have shown they are incapable of being responsible adults.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SeattleMike said:

Sitting next to the same people for 3 hours in a stadium likely carries more risk than standing next to the first baseman for 5 minutes. Playground risk is probably mostly due to surface transmission. How many cases have been traced to crowded beaches? That infamous photo of revelers hanging out at some pool in Missouri over Memorial Day weekend did not lead to a breakout. 

if protests dont result in transmission, how can sitting in a stadium?  sell tickets two seats apart if you want.

if protests dont cause transmission, how could standing in an open air concert?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Casimir said:

We might have a playoff field by availability rather than record before the end of September.

Every team with a playable roster at the end of September makes the playoffs.  Maybe I will get my four team playoff after all.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

Every team with a playable roster at the end of September makes the playoffs.  Maybe I will get my four team playoff after all.  

how can you have a season where a team like the marlins plays 30 games, another team plays 60, and another plays 40?

its a farce.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

how can you have a season where a team like the marlins plays 30 games, another team plays 60, and another plays 40?

its a farce.  

Rob Manfred will think of something.  He is a genius.  I just read something about doubleheaders where the 8th innings start with a runner on second base.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if protests dont result in transmission, how can sitting in a stadium?  sell tickets two seats apart if you want.

if protests dont cause transmission, how could standing in an open air concert?

I think we are saying the same thing. I believe if you limited capacity to 1/3 you could allow fans. Restrooms would need to be very well ventilated and usage limited somewhat (no more than x number at a time). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if it is so difficult to spread outdoors, why dont we have fans in the stands?  why dont we have outdoor concerts?  shouldnt all beaches be open?  playgrounds?

Other than the risk from being next to someone for an extended period of time (not much space between seats) there's the high risk of transmission from locations tangential to outdoor gatherings.  People can't just teleport to and fro.

Concession areas, bathrooms, restaurants, and even things like gas stations are all higher risk.  Fans in attendance don't have catheters and feeding tubes hooked up to themselves.  They'll have to wait a few weeks later when they're hospitalized.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turnbuckle said:

Other than the risk from being next to someone for an extended period of time (not much space between seats) there's the high risk of transmission from locations tangential to outdoor gatherings.  People can't just teleport to and fro.

Concession areas, bathrooms, restaurants, and even things like gas stations are all higher risk.  Fans in attendance don't have catheters and feeding tubes hooked up to themselves.  They'll have to wait a few weeks later when they're hospitalized.

 

so limit the number of people in a bathroom at a time.

youre outside.  if you cant pass it when youre outside, there is no reason you cant have a limited number of fans in the stands as long as the stadium is not a dome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

so limit the number of people in a bathroom at a time.

youre outside.  if you cant pass it when youre outside, there is no reason you cant have a limited number of fans in the stands as long as the stadium is not a dome.

I would agree that theoretically you could safely put at least several thousand fans in a place - especially like CoPa with open airy concources (as opposed to old Tiger Stadium!). The problem is enforcing distance. "This is American dammit! If those seats down front  are empty I'm movin'!"

And pretty soon when the action gets interesting you have 10K fans all on top of one another shouting. The problem is not where you start, it's where you end up and I think it would end up in a bad place in too many cases. And really it only has to happen once and you can be sure it will happen somewhere.

That would be my guess about why they won't even try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, lines to get in, lines to get to your seats, walking close to others in your row, lines outside the bathrooms. Lots of logistics that would tend to be unevenly applied or carried out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not to mention what we are seeing now, which is that when you haven't sold any tickets, you can do a lot of rescheduling on the fly, move a game up or back to miss the rain,etc.. At this point they are so close be being totally screwed that maybe no fans is the only way to have enough scheduling flexibility to have any prayer of getting in whatever they are call a season..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I would agree that theoretically you could safely put at least several thousand fans in a place - especially like CoPa with open airy concources (as opposed to old Tiger Stadium!). The problem is enforcing distance. "This is American dammit! If those seats down front  are empty I'm movin'!"

And pretty soon when the action gets interesting you have 10K fans all on top of one another shouting. The problem is not where you start, it's where you end up and I think it would end up in a bad place in too many cases. And really it only has to happen once and you can be sure it will happen somewhere.

That would be my guess about why they won't even try it.

but we saw people at protests yelling and screaming with masks on right next to people.  all over the country.  surrounded by people they dont know.  there was no social distancing.  certainly less than could be enforced at a sporting event.

what's the difference between that and a 10k spread out at a baseball game?  or even an outdoor concert? 

if the protests really didnt spread the virus than why would an outdoor baseball game or a concert?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Buddha said:

so limit the number of people in a bathroom at a time.

youre outside.  if you cant pass it when youre outside, there is no reason you cant have a limited number of fans in the stands as long as the stadium is not a dome.

It could be done safely, probably.  The issue is that enforcing distance rules, the limits on activities and availability, etc. are either going to be very difficult to do or will detract from the experience so much that it's not worth it to let fans in.   You'd have to have fans sign waivers absolving the team of responsibility if they contract the virus at the stadium, and even then they'll still sue.

Plus, a lot of cities/states still have restrictions in place that would prohibit more than a very few fans to gather in one place.  Some aren't all that hot on the teams gathering as they are (see: Toronto).  It might not be up to MLB or the teams as much as they'd like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buddha said:

how do you have a legitimate season with so many teams canceling games?  

are the marlins going to be able to play again?  if the cardinals have to miss two weeks because they need to quarantine, how are they going to be able to play games?

seven inning double headers for some teams while others play 9 inning games?

this season is a farce.

I'm mostly viewing it as a chance for some of the young guys to get a final chance to show they can be a big leaguer, continued development for guys like Turnbull and maybe later a first chance to get the young guns some coffee at the show. It happens to help that they added Cron, Schoop, Maybin and Romine, all of whom are legit, average major leaguers so they should be more fun to watch. Also gives low stress opportunity for M Fulmer to get some starts, C Fulmer to start fresh and someone like Bryan Garcia - once considered a top tier Tiger prospect - a chance to ease his way in. Expectations aren't as hi because most are viewing the season as a bit of a fluke.

Regardless of all of that, after the garbage 2019 season I just want to enjoy solid mediocre baseball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, clark1mt said:

It could be done safely, probably.  The issue is that enforcing distance rules, the limits on activities and availability, etc. are either going to be very difficult to do or will detract from the experience so much that it's not worth it to let fans in.   You'd have to have fans sign waivers absolving the team of responsibility if they contract the virus at the stadium, and even then they'll still sue.

Plus, a lot of cities/states still have restrictions in place that would prohibit more than a very few fans to gather in one place.  Some aren't all that hot on the teams gathering as they are (see: Toronto).  It might not be up to MLB or the teams as much as they'd like.

but if protests didnt spread the virus than those restrictions should be repealed, right?

and we can pass legislation that would prohibit lawsuits against companies that try to open.  the republicans are trying to do that now but the democrats wont let them because theyre bought and paid for by the plaintiffs bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, leflore said:

I'm mostly viewing it as a chance for some of the young guys to get a final chance to show they can be a big leaguer, continued development for guys like Turnbull and maybe later a first chance to get the young guns some coffee at the show. It happens to help that they added Cron, Schoop, Maybin and Romine, all of whom are legit, average major leaguers so they should be more fun to watch. Also gives low stress opportunity for M Fulmer to get some starts, C Fulmer to start fresh and someone like Bryan Garcia - once considered a top tier Tiger prospect - a chance to ease his way in. Expectations aren't as hi because most are viewing the season as a bit of a fluke.

Regardless of all of that, after the garbage 2019 season I just want to enjoy solid mediocre baseball

im enjoying watching the games themselves.  as much as baseball had grown boring for me, i find now that i missed its every day rhythms and watching teams play.

i like watching the games, but the season itself is illegitimate, imo.  its nothing but a 60 game exhibition season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

 

i like watching the games, but the season itself is illegitimate, imo.  its nothing but a 60 game exhibition season.

It's a little more than an exhibition because I assume players are trying harder to win.  Thus, any good performance by a young player on someone on the bubble for next year has some significance.  I agree the overall results are insignificant though.  It will be amusing if the Tigers keep winning, but it's still a silly season.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tiger337 said:

It's a little more than an exhibition because I assume players are trying harder to win.  Thus, any good performance by a young player on someone on the bubble for next year has some significance.  I agree the overall results are insignificant though.  It will be amusing if the Tigers keep winning, but it's still a silly season.   

I agree with both of you guys. I'm sure history will view it similarly.

For some decent teams the short season record will end up below their talent level and lead to a great draft pick. Red Sux will end up with Kumar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (December 2020 or January 2021). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...