Yoda

MLB to Resume

9 minutes ago, Buddha said:

reports today that a bunch of marlins players went out and partied in atlanta right before the outbreak hit the team.

if true, they should be fined.

if one player gets it from going out and then the team has to cancel games, they should take game checks away from the entire team.  that will get them to police themselves real quick.

figures. Even is the 'shelter from the rain in the clubhouse' was also a spreader event, someone(s) had to bring it in from somewhere

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

reports today that a bunch of marlins players went out and partied in atlanta right before the outbreak hit the team.

if true, they should be fined.

if one player gets it from going out and then the team has to cancel games, they should take game checks away from the entire team.  that will get them to police themselves real quick.

And some people wonder why bars shouldn't be opened just yet.

I don't know about Joe Kelly being the legislator of justice against the Astros.  Wasn't he a part of a found cheating Red Sox team?

two phillies staff test positive.  series with the blue jays is cancelled.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Kind of makes me wonder, if the season doesn't stop, how awkward are trades going to be this season?

"Hi, welcome to the team, your temporary locker stall is the unused concession stand out there beyond the left field stands."

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Interesting that no players tested positive. Additional proof that transmission outdoors is considerably more difficult than indoors. 

36 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Interesting that no players tested positive. Additional proof that transmission outdoors is considerably more difficult than indoors. 

They said Thursday-saturday they should start showing up positive, if they've caught it. They're not in the clear just yet. 

16 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

I agree with you about the transmission probabilities of outdoors versus indoors, which is why I’m taking a calculated risk and paying softball on a team the past couple of weeks. We’re obviously standing far away from one another on the field, and any time spent less than six feet from one another when we get off the field is fleeting in at attempt to establish a position six-plus feet away from everyone else. I’ve even been holding my breath and looking down as I walk past teammates.

That said, Cynical Me says, I don’t think what you point out necessarily means that no Phillies players have been found positive. There’s enough money at stake here that I can see where Baseball is doing everything to keep any player positives under wraps, hoping they can manage to keep it out of the media, and not alarm people or increase pressure to shut down. 

That certainly can’t work if there’s a mass outbreak, and it might not work in the long term with even one, but I can see where they might at least try to contain what they think is the odd one here and there and hope no one finds out so they can keep going without interruption into October.

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree with you about the transmission probabilities of outdoors versus indoors, which is why I’m taking a calculated risk and paying softball on a team the past couple of weeks. We’re obviously standing far away from one another on the field, and any time spent less than six feet from one another when we get off the field is fleeting in at attempt to establish a position six-plus feet away from everyone else. I’ve even been holding my breath and looking down as I walk past teammates.

That said, Cynical Me says, I don’t think what you point out necessarily means that no Phillies players have been found positive. There’s enough money at stake here that I can see where Baseball is doing everything to keep any player positives under wraps, hoping they can manage to keep it out of the media, and not alarm people or increase pressure to shut down. 

That certainly can’t work if there’s a mass outbreak, and it might not work in the long term with even one, but I can see where they might at least try to contain what they think is the odd one here and there and hope no one finds out so they can keep going without interruption into October.

This is extremely unlikely.

The MLB would be in a world of **** if they did that.  From the MLBPA, fans, and the media.  

Never mind the unlikelihood that it could be kept a secret for very long.

Without a bubble it just seems inevitable where things are headed.  No amount of covering up can get in the way of this virus.  The only way to contain the odd one here and there is with a bubble policy.  But that ship has sailed.  You just hope the season is short enough that they're able to get through it... But we're a week in and the cracks are really starting to show.

I agree it’s unlikely they get away with it. They’re not evil geniuses, after all. Is it unlikely they even try? There’s maybe a couple billion dollars at stake. I could definitely see them trying.

There is of course a 0% chance they try. The players will know they tested positive, making it impossible for MLB to keep a secret. 

They either keep cancelling Phillies games for two weeks, at which point everybody knows why. Or they let the Phillies play and place all the positives on the Covid DL.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

They announced damn near the entire Marlins team has it, but are hiding Philles results.

Philly TV ratings > Miami TV ratings

brewers-cardinals canceled because of a positive result.

20% of the league games are canceled today.

if mlb is trying to hide something, theyre doing a really poor job of it.

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if mlb is trying to hide something, theyre doing a really poor job of it.

was reading some BS story last week about how the Cardinal Way would not allow younglings to make bad decisions with Rona

Karma wins again

13 minutes ago, Buddha said:

well this is beginning to suck. I was liking having baseball games to watch.

We might have a playoff field by availability rather than record before the end of September.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I agree it’s unlikely they get away with it. They’re not evil geniuses, after all. Is it unlikely they even try? There’s maybe a couple billion dollars at stake. I could definitely see them trying.

It is highly unlikely they would try.

44 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

well this is beginning to suck. I was liking having baseball games to watch.

You will still have plenty of games to watch. 

We just need to get used to seeing games postponed occasionally on the day that a positive test result is returned. 

I guess we’ll know more by this weekend once we have a better idea on whether any of the Phillies players got it from one of the 15 marlins players that have tested positive. 

If the Phillies come out of this unscathed, it’s probably fair to operate under the assumption that it isn’t being spread out on the field. And that can provide further incentive to be more careful in the clubhouse and during travel. 

It will also be interesting to see what happens with the cardinals. If there is t a marlins like outbreak, then that provides further data that there was something specific the marlins did poorly that needs to be avoided. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

You will still have plenty of games to watch. 

We just need to get used to seeing games postponed occasionally on the day that a positive test result is returned. 

I guess we’ll know more by this weekend once we have a better idea on whether any of the Phillies players got it from one of the 15 marlins players that have tested positive. 

If the Phillies come out of this unscathed, it’s probably fair to operate under the assumption that it isn’t being spread out on the field. And that can provide further incentive to be more careful in the clubhouse and during travel. 

It will also be interesting to see what happens with the cardinals. If there is t a marlins like outbreak, then that provides further data that there was something specific the marlins did poorly that needs to be avoided. 

Yup. This is a big deal. Whether or not is would spread easily on the field was a huge question to this point and it may have been answered. 

I have a feeling we will still be dealing with this next season too.  Not enough Americans are taking this seriously............still,   And if Biden is President, there will be millions not following guidelines merely out of spite. 

• Sad 1

From an uneducated point of view it seems like it would be extremely difficult to spread while on the field considering guys rarely get within 6 feet of each other.   Of course that's assuming they aren't doing a bunch of pre or post game fraternizing at batting practice or whatever.    

43 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Yup. This is a big deal. Whether or not is would spread easily on the field was a huge question to this point and it may have been answered. 

I don't absolutely do not what to start a political discussion here but only raise a very narrow point that has an unavoidable political context, but it on field transmission would be a very similar context to transmission from protest marches,  and as huge a story as it would be if cases were being traced back to the marches, there just hasn't been any evidence. So there is very good reason to believe the virus will not be spread on the field, especially if the most simple precautions like having those people on the field who are speaking at close range (HP ump, 1/3 base coaches) be masked. It appears to me they have been lax about that wrt the coaches.

33 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't absolutely do not what to start a political discussion here but only raise a very narrow point that has an unavoidable political context, but it on field transmission would be a very similar context to transmission from protest marches,  and as huge a story as it would be if cases were being traced back to the marches, there just hasn't been any evidence. So there is very good reason to believe the virus will not be spread on the field, especially if the most simple precautions like having those people on the field who are speaking at close range (HP ump, 1/3 base coaches) be masked. It appears to me they have been lax about that wrt the coaches.

A very high percentage of protesters are wearing masks...............to me th at is solid evidence that it is a good measure.  

• Like 1