Yoda

MLB to Resume

So when will we see a schedule for this season? 

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

They probably need to fight over that for the next five weeks.  

• Haha 1

The Tigers are now tied for first with 60 games left in the 2020 season.  Can we hang in there to the end?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 1776 said:

13 hours ago, tiger337 said:

They probably need to fight over that for the next five weeks.  

Don't they need to figure out Toronto's home field situation?  Didn't Canada throw up a two week quarantine wall?  Is the secret skip ahead of the line password "Liston"?

Does being a Tigers fan mean I'm supposed to like cats? 

22 minutes ago, leflore said:

Does being a Tigers fan mean I'm supposed to like cats? 

I hope not. They make me sneeze

Trevor Bauer took on Aubrey Huff and Curt Schilling on Twitter the last two days. It was all pretty childish, but Schilling has now left twitter, so I'd say it's a win.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Trevor Bauer took on Aubrey Huff and Curt Schilling on Twitter the last two days. It was all pretty childish, but Schilling has now left twitter, so I'd say it's a win.

Sounds good to me. 

On 6/23/2020 at 4:31 PM, 1776 said:

When I start the game threads

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Throw in Keith Law and have a tag team match for dick champions 

14 hours ago, Casimir said:

Don't they need to figure out Toronto's home field situation?  Didn't Canada throw up a two week quarantine wall?  Is the secret skip ahead of the line password "Liston"?

Good question, same as hockey.  I think that a lot of people will be ticked off if pro athletes are "essential".  I don't want that border open for non-essential travel.  The Jays have "several" diagnosed cases this week already, no doubt from crowded bars in Florida.  It's ridiculous that they think that they can have these groups of young guys in Florida and Arizona, and not have super-spreading.  Keep the border closed, keep that **** out of here, we don't want it, we have enough already.

How many cases do there have to be in training camps before this 60 game bull**** gets called off?  200?  Might easily get there.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:01 AM, clark1mt said:

The whole thing will fall apart if more players start testing positive now that they're getting back together.

If the standard is the unrealistic one of nobody testing positive, this isn't going to go very far.

We have gone way past the original goals of "flattening the curve" and "preventing the health care system from being overwhelmed" to the apparent unattainable goals of  no one dying or even becoming infected.

With epidemiologists now saying that the death rate is only 0.15 to 0.4 percent (meaning that somewhere between 1 in 250 and 1 in 650 infected people die from it), a very large percentage of the deaths being among the elderly (especially in nursing homes), the growing realization that many who get it experience no symptoms or at worst no serious ones, and studies suggesting that the virus may be mutating into a less virulent form, knee-jerk reactions every time someone tests positive (like closing "Spring" Training facilities) seem unwarranted.  But if that is the standard that is followed, I am not optimistic about seeing Major League baseball this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The options are not just die or fully recover.  There's a decent chance that an infected player would be done for the "season".  I know of a runner, in great shape, runs 200 miles a month, who got it in March and is still feeling the effects.  He was just now able to run 3 miles without having to stop.  If a few players get infected per team that can throw everything out of whack.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

"Decent" chance because you know a guy who runs who got it and is still recovering?

Yes.  We are still learning about the effects of this on our bodies. It attacks the organs not just the lungs.

If you try the google you can find lots of examples of people who didn't die but are having long tern effects from getting it.  For many people it's not just a coughing fit for a few weeks and back to normal.  Severe lack of energy, breathing issues, aches.... 

now we're talking about athletes competing at the highest levels.... not just going back to work in an office job. 

• Thanks 1

That describes my daughter’s situation. Mid twenties, athlete, in her third month of Covid. Has okay days, and relapses.

12 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

When I start the game threads

I think we need to call out on the obvious jinx that you have employed upon this season.

(1)  You've always been an advocate of starting sometime after the 4th of July due to weather concerns.

(2)  You had a "states of the USA" theme conjured up for this season.  50 states in the union.  Puerto Rico as a US terrritory.  Canada in the MLB.  The Domincan Republic, and Cuba, and a few other nations supplying ample talent to the MLB.  50+1+1+ a few more = the total number of regular season games on the docket for this season.

53 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

If the standard is the unrealistic one of nobody testing positive, this isn't going to go very far.

We have gone way past the original goals of "flattening the curve" and "preventing the health care system from being overwhelmed" to the apparent unattainable goals of  no one dying or even becoming infected.

With epidemiologists now saying that the death rate is only 0.15 to 0.4 percent (meaning that somewhere between 1 in 250 and 1 in 650 infected people die from it), a very large percentage of the deaths being among the elderly (especially in nursing homes), the growing realization that many who get it experience no symptoms or at worst no serious ones, and studies suggesting that the virus may be mutating into a less virulent form, knee-jerk reactions every time someone tests positive (like closing "Spring" Training facilities) seem unwarranted.  But if that is the standard that is followed, I am not optimistic about seeing Major League baseball this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

to the apparent unattainable goals of  no one dying or even becoming infected.

no, that is not the goal. The problem is that there are only 2 stable equilibrium points, uncontrolled spread = overwhelmed hospitals, and controlled spread down to where each case can be traced and the individual isolated so that R stays less than 1. There are no stable points in between those two conditions. If you control R <1, you will end up with a very low case rate, i.e. the situation we have had in MI (at least up through this week) recently, and as long you track down each person and get them to isolate, you can keep that case rate manageable. But there is no middle ground, as we see all across the South, as soon as vigilance drops to where  you have too many cases to effectively track and isolate, you go right back to uncontrolled epidemic.

From a mathematical standpoint, "flattening the curve" is a qualitative description. But that is only half the story.  The quantitative kinetics have their own separate rules.

13 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Yes.  We are still learning about the effects of this on our bodies. It attacks the organs not just the lungs.

If you try the google you can find lots of examples of people who didn't die but are having long tern effects from getting it.  For many people it's not just a coughing fit for a few weeks and back to normal.  Severe lack of energy, breathing issues, aches.... 

now we're talking about athletes competing at the highest levels.... not just going back to work in an office job. 

I think a lot of people miss this point.  Its a communicable virus with a lot of unknowns attached to it.  And it appears that it can be transmitted through common everyday life.

And as you mention long term effects, have we gone long enough to know what those are?  I suppose that probably should be a bit on the back burner in comparison to harnessing the spread for now as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Imagine an airplane with 200 people on board.  Before you take off they say "Ok, 1 of you will die.  half of you will get pretty sick for a few weeks.  Some of that group will have to go on a ventilator.  Some others will have to go to the hospital.  Most of those who get sick will miss a few weeks of work, at least... Some of you will have to be on oxygen, dialysis... you'll be dealing with the issue for a few months.  Those of you who don't get sick, there will be a chance that you will expose your family and friends to what I just described..

how many people are getting off that plane?

25 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The diminishing of this disease is fascinating to me.

All political.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Imagine an airplane with 200 people on board.  Before you take off they say "Ok, 1 of you will die.  half of you will get pretty sick for a few weeks.  Some of that group will have to go on a ventilator.  Some others will have to go to the hospital.  Most of those who get sick will miss a few weeks of work, at least... Some of you will have to be on oxygen, dialysis... you'll be dealing with the issue for a few months.  Those of you who don't get sick, there will be a chance that you will expose your family and friends to what I just described..

how many people are getting off that plane?

This is more in concert with my thinking.  I work with homeless mentally ill. Most have co-occurring disorders. And a fact most do not realize - the fastest growing demographic amongst homeless are the elderly. Has been for a few years now. The "immunity plan" will result in far disproportionate illness and death amongst those most vulnerable, with the least resources. I know this has little to do with baseball, just saying the recent trends of young folks (and not so young) going to bars, beaches, rallies etc concerns me.