Motor City Sonics

What would a Tigers 30 man roster (and 20 man Taxi Squad) look like?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Need a pinch bunter

You definitely want someone on the bench that can lay down a bunt. 

JaCoby pinches buns, not bunts. 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

JaCoby pinches buns, not bunts. 

Are you thinking of Evan Reed?

Okay...............this is what I have here for Opening Day - barring injuries

Starters (5)
Matthew Boyd, Michael Fulmer, Daniel Norris, Ivan Nova, Spencer Turnbull

Relievers (9)
Tyler Alexander, Anthony Castro, Buck Farmer, Bryan Garcia, Rony Garcia, Joe Jiminez,  David McKay, Nick Ramirez, Jordan Zimmermann

Catchers (3)
Grayson Greiner, Eric Haase, Austin Romine

Infielders (8)
Miguel Cabrera, Jeimer Candelario, CJ Crone, Harold Castro, Willi Castro, Niko Goodrum, Dawel Lugo, Johathan Schoop

Outfielders (5)
Travis Demeritte, JaCoby Jones, Cameron Maybe, Victor Reyes, Chrstin Stewart

The 3 travelers 
Brandon Dixon, Jordy Mercer, Jake Rogers, 

------ The Taxi Squad

Starters (7)
Dario Agraal, Alex Faedo,  Kyle Funkhouser, Zack Godley,  Matt Manning, Casey Mize, Tarik Skubal

Relievers (10)
Tim Adelman, Nolan Blackwoood, Beau Burrows, , Shao-Chang Chiang, Jose Cisnero,, Franklin Perez, John Schriber, Hector Santiago, Schreiber, Gregory Soto

Catchers (3) Dirk Diggler, Brady Policelli, Jake Rogers

Infielders (6) - Sergio Alcantara, Brandon Dixon, Jordy Mercer, Isaac Paredes, Frank Schwindel, Spencer Torkelson

Outfielders (5) - Jorge Bonifacio, Daz Cameron, Riley Greene, Derek Hill, Reed Rothchild

Unfortunately Buck Swope did not make the team this year. 

Here's the million dollar question.   There are a couple of very very good teams out there.    Will any team in this 60 game season equal or top the Tigers win total from last year? 

They should probably carry extra starters and start out with paired pitchers doing split starts. I suppose that may be too outside the box for them, though they got close to it with Norris last season.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Here's the million dollar question.   There are a couple of very very good teams out there.    Will any team in this 60 game season equal or top the Tigers win total from last year? 

Come on.

I think Soto makes it ahead of Ramirez and Cisnero over Castro. I think they’ll add another pitcher and keep Willi on the taxi squad.  

and hopefully this guy, or Chest Rockwell, gets a late season call-up

image.jpeg.a4f7e69d2d67ed17ac1c954d63a43c0e.jpeg

If we’re still at 59 players in camp, makes you wonder if we’re going to sign a free agent?  Still some guys out there.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Come on.

They won 47. The '84 Tigers won 44 of their first 60. 

4 hours ago, socaltiger said:

I think Mercer will make the team and Zimmerman will start. 

Agree, if Zimmermann is healthy he's going to be in the rotation atleast to start the year.  If he struggles his first few outings(is water wet?) I could see the Tigers finally cutting bait with him then, particularly if they pull a rabbit out of the hat and actually look like they still have a chance for the playoffs after a few weeks but until then for better or worse Zimms gonna be in the rotation.  

On a Zimm side note I caught a snippet on the radio yesterday with Matthew Boyd, he talked about how great the Tigers pitching looks.  He was talking about the usual scout speak for all the other pitchers(FB having a ton of spin or explosiveness on it, sharp breaking balls etc.) when describing how they look but when he got to Zimm all he said was "That guy just knows how to pitch", lol I just thought that was funny that he couldn't come up with any superlatives to describe his stuff so he just went with that old cliche to try to say something nice about him.  

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Agree, if Zimmermann is healthy he's going to be in the rotation atleast to start the year.  If he struggles his first few outings(is water wet?) I could see the Tigers finally cutting bait with him then, particularly if they pull a rabbit out of the hat and actually look like they still have a chance for the playoffs after a few weeks but until then for better or worse Zimms gonna be in the rotation.  

On a Zimm side note I caught a snippet on the radio yesterday with Matthew Boyd, he talked about how great the Tigers pitching looks.  He was talking about the usual scout speak for all the other pitchers(FB having a ton of spin or explosiveness on it, sharp breaking balls etc.) when describing how they look but when he got to Zimm all he said was "That guy just knows how to pitch", lol I just thought that was funny that he couldn't come up with any superlatives to describe his stuff so he just went with that old cliche to try to say something nice about him.  

To be fair, if he struggles in the first few outings the season will be over. There's only like four turns through the rotation this year. 

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

They won 47. The '84 Tigers won 44 of their first 60. 

The 84 Tigers were objectively one of the greatest teams in MLB history, had the greatest start to a season in history, and they fell 3 games short.

Not only is it not a 'million dollar question', no MLB team playing 60 games this season is going to approach a 0.800 winning percentage.

Book it.

EDIT: Just getting north of 40 would be remarkable.

5 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

To be fair, if he struggles in the first few outings the season will be over. There's only like four turns through the rotation this year. 

Not sure how you get to only 4 turns, in a full season you start about 33 games a year if you don't get hurt or skipped so shouldn't that equate to about a dozen or so starts in a 60 game season?  

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Maybe they have Norris & Zimmermann always pitch on the same day and limit their innings............but if Fulmer is really ready to go then he is for sure in the rotation along with Boyd, Nova and probably Turnbull............so it's up to that last spot.   I actually think they could cut Zimmermann before it all starts.  

47 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

60/5 = 12, so something like.

This is wrong.   I think it;s more like  0/0 = 0  - because there will be a COVID explosion bigger than this week and all team sports will be done.   

11 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Come on.

It would not be out of the question for the Dodgers to go 47-13........ The 2001 Seattle Mariners were 47-13 in their first 60.  I think the Dodgers have a chance to be as good as that.