Motor City Sonics

What would a Tigers 30 man roster (and 20 man Taxi Squad) look like?

Doesn't Prince also come off the books after this season? Maybe Al will be looking to bring in a top FA? Maybe by then I'll clean out my wallet. Becoming Costanza-esque

August 31st is a trade deadline. If there are owners that want to shed salary, maybe this would be the best time even if the tigers are out of it to be buyers at the deadline. Let Chris Ilitch spend that money that he said he would spend and set us up for next year this year. It'll never happen but it would be nice if that was the approach that they took to get ahead for next year.

I'm pretty sure the tigers will be sellers though. Hopefully Boyd starts off hot and they can turn him into something to finalize the last piece to go for the rebuild. That would be an ideal dream scenario.

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Doesn't Prince also come off the books after this season? Maybe Al will be looking to bring in a top FA? Maybe by then I'll clean out my wallet. Becoming Costanza-esque

Check out the ad that was under your post...

73BE95CA-9B07-4D15-B603-B14295C8B9B0.jpeg

I sure hope they televise some of the taxi squad games at Toledo. I'm tired of watching rabbits hump in my backyard. 

Looks like Fulmer is good to go. Wonder of they'll consider back end of bullpen?

29 minutes ago, leflore said:

Looks like Fulmer is good to go. Wonder of they'll consider back end of bullpen?

If he’s capable, you start him.  Build up his innings and potential trade value.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Check out the ad that was under your post...

73BE95CA-9B07-4D15-B603-B14295C8B9B0.jpeg

Somebody write a post about hot women looking for love.

I wonder if the Tigers will use an extra roster spot for Derek Hill, to be the Designated Runner if games go into extra innings?

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I wonder if the Tigers will use an extra roster spot for Derek Hill, to be the Designated Runner if games go into extra innings?

Wouldn’t Hill have to make the last out of the inning before to start off on second the inning after?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Wouldn’t Hill have to make the last out of the inning before to start off on second the inning after?

You could sub him in for whoever had made the last out but it only works once. If the game goes another inning he's already in the game and his spot in the order is fixed. And to make the last out in the next inning would mean 8 men went to the plate so the game is not likely going another inning!

The value of a pinch runner in fewer than 5% of the games when both team start with the runner on 2nd is extremely small even accounting for the high leverage situation for those few occasions.

And as a practical matter, some players wouldn't be pinch ran for either, so that lessens the value even further.

Plus with zero outs and starting on 2nd you really don't need to be a burner to score from there, as long as you're not like a Victor Martinez having blazing speed isn't that big of deal in that situation. 

Now if you started at first or were at 2nd with 2 outs it may be a different story but with no outs it shouldn't make that big of difference cause I think most managers are just going to bunt the guy over to third anyway.  

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Plus with zero outs and starting on 2nd you really don't need to be a burner to score from there, as long as you're not like a Victor Martinez having blazing speed isn't that big of deal in that situation. 

Now if you started at first or were at 2nd with 2 outs it may be a different story but with no outs it shouldn't make that big of difference cause I think most managers are just going to bunt the guy over to third anyway.  

Speed is always a plus on the bases. It could mean the difference between safe and out. I take your point, though.

Hill could be a reasonable sub for the prior inning's last out because he does have some glove skills. The player being subbed would probably have to be an outfielder or DH. If it's anyone else you'd have to double switch to keep Hill in that slot and put him in the OF. Either that or you burn yet another bench player to go into the outfield, if it doesn't work out and/or you end up tied.

I can see where the utility of such a move is really narrow.

It helps having the extra bench spot for an occasion like this. I was inspired by the Billy Hamilton article in Fangraphs.

If winning the absolute maximum amount of games was the goal this year, I would definitely carry an elite runner for late game situations when you have a 26 man roster. 

I would not do that this year. And I probably wouldn’t have a “prospect” in that role. 

If managers would actually allow the baserunners to steal bases late in games I'd be ok with having a designated runner but that rarely seems to be the case.

They bring in an elite runner then just bunt him over like they would anybody else.  Then once your on 2nd the chances that the elite runner vs. average one scoring on a basehit is small.

Unless it's a Miggy or Victor the vast majority of hits that would score the elite runner would score the regular player anyway.

I agree.

I'd suggest the primary value in the pinch runner is the potential value of the stolen base.  If there is no, or almost no, intention to have the guy steal, then I'd just assume not carry one.

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If managers would actually allow the baserunners to steal bases late in games I'd be ok with having a designated runner but that rarely seems to be the case.

They bring in an elite runner then just bunt him over like they would anybody else.  Then once your on 2nd the chances that the elite runner vs. average one scoring on a basehit is small.

Unless it's a Miggy or Victor the vast majority of hits that would score the elite runner would score the regular player anyway.

If you have a truly elite runner you aren’t going to bunt him over. It also depends on which player the pinch runner would replace. There are obviously a lot of factors. But speed/baserunning is one of the few things you actually have some control over when your team is batting. It’s similar to the value of a great reliever. You get to pick and choose the situation to use them where they will provide the most value. 

Anyone you are carrying on the bench as a pinch hitter isn’t likely to be much better at hitting than the batter they replace. If so, they would likely be in the lineup already. Same with an extra arm. It’s extremely rare that you ever actually need one. 

To be clear, I’m talking about a Terrance Gore or Dave Roberts type. 

I think the extra inning rule is going to provide for some interesting data and/or strategy. If you are the home team and you stopped the visitors from scoring in the top of the 10th, how often does the home team sacrifice bunt and how often does the home team swing away leading off the bottom of the 10th? 

Similarly, how often will the away team do it. I wonder much the away team will weigh the batters due up with regard to playing for a single run or playing for multiple runs.