lordstanley

2020 Offseason Thread

Excellent cap management and patience displayed thus far by Stevie Y. No panicked win now moves, no handing out big money contracts unnecessarily to try and feign competitiveness, cutting bait with bad contracts of current players, and not keeping around current guys because you feel loyal to them. Best of all, we haven't had a single press conference declaring the NHL a men's league, how kids or prospects aren't the answer, how rebuilds take 10-15 years, how expecting to win Cups means you're in the wrong league, how less can be more exciting, nor how we like our team. This off-season is almost exactly what I wanted for a team in the depths of a full scale tare down and rebuild. Had we not been screwed by the NHL's unthinkably bad draft lottery format and gotten a top 3 pick, I would call this a perfect off-season thus far.

It is nice not to have to refresh twitter every 10 minutes because you're worried about a Dan Cleary resigning or wondering what over 32 veteran your GM is bringing on a 5-6 year deal.

Markstrom to the Flames for $6mm x 6 years, per Pierre Lebrun. Yikes.

I'd rather have had Holtby at $4.3mm x 2 years, like the Canucks got him for.

I forgot that today is July 1st. I feel like I should be wearing a Canadian flag and heading out for a parade before fireworks tonight.

• Like 1

Torey Krug to the blues for 7 years @ $6.5mm   Even with the Wings not in win now mode, I would have loved that signing. I’m sure he would have wanted more from a non-contender. 

Wings have their goalie. Thomas Greiss, ex of NYI, for 2 years @ $3.6mm Fine. Not a star, but I expect him to perform better than Howard did last year. 

31 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Wings have their goalie. Thomas Greiss, ex of NYI, for 2 years @ $3.6mm Fine. Not a star, but I expect him to perform better than Howard did last year. 

it would hard to be worse than howard was last year.

yzerman taking a very measured approach.  no stupid deals that will handicap them long term.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

it would hard to be worse than howard was last year.

yzerman taking a very measured approach.  no stupid deals that will handicap them long term.

Yep, and signed defenseman Troy Stecher from the Canucks for 2 years at $1.7mm per. Ice a somewhat respectable team by signing guys for a year or two tops as a bridge to recent draft picks being ready. 

Strange to have a good executive in Detroit sports.

Signed C Vladi Namestikov to a two-year deal at $2mm per. Bit of a nothing deal to me, not a ton of upside IMO. He's 27, played for Tampa for several years, and put up 17G 14A 31Pts last year splitting his time among NYR, Ottawa and Colorado. I read he's the nephew of Slava Kozlov.

Signing namestikov looks like Steve wants decent players to paper over the terrible drafts of Holland near the end. He's not going to hand jobs to prospects who might not earn it (svech, rasmussen, etc).

23 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Signed C Vladi Namestikov to a two-year deal at $2mm per. Bit of a nothing deal to me, not a ton of upside IMO. He's 27, played for Tampa for several years, and put up 17G 14A 31Pts last year splitting his time among NYR, Ottawa and Colorado. I read he's the nephew of Slava Kozlov.

Looks like he grew up party in Michigan and still spends his summers here.  It is really cool that Yzerman has people excited about the Red Wings.  Ryan and Greiss both mentioned him specifically and I know one of the defensemen took less money to play for his hometown team.

Namestikov caught me off guard but you can't be too mad at the 2x2.  Hopefully they can flip him for a pick or two.

I really like his moves.  This is still far off from making the playoffs but Stevie has made a statement that **** from last year won’t be happening again.  

These are nice pieces that will make this team much more competitive every night.   They also could flip a couple into draft picks.  

Seider and Veleno made their SHL debuts today.  Seider is supposed to be on the top defense pairing.  He doesn't touch the puck here but you can see his skating:

Berggren is still on a tear in the SHL, this got called off for goalie interference though (???):

Kivenmaki is back after last season's gruesome injury and playing well with more minutes, goal here:

• Like 1

is there anywhere we can watch swedish league games?

I googled how to watch shl swedish hockey and a site came up that seems to show them for free.  The legality of it I don't know... otherwise I'm stumped and just stalk twitter like some creepy Swedish peeping tom

His voice grated on me at times, but I liked Doc's PBP better than anyone they have on CBC right now.

I've never been a Doc fan but he's far from the worst PBP guy and has had some great calls.  Wish him well in retirement.

Seider got his first SHL point, an assist on a shot from the point-seemed like he was shooting for the tip/passing almost:

Kivenmaki still looking pretty good:

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

His voice grated on me at times, but I liked Doc's PBP better than anyone they have on CBC right now.

What's wrong with Jim Hughson? Great save Luongo!

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What's wrong with Jim Hughson? Great save Luongo!

Hughson is ok, if bland. I like Ken Daniels better. I like CBC and Sportsnet for their pregame, intermissions and panels but for the actual I prefer NBC. Louder sound, sharper look. 

Emrick got his start calling play by play for the Port Huron Flags then of the IHL in 1973 and now lives nearby in St. Clair. Cool Tweet thread here from Dan Dickerson. 

https://twitter.com/dan_dickerson/status/1318290916797411328?s=21

Let me know if I should be posting this stuff elsewhere or if no one cares.

Soderblom and Niederbach both got called up to the big squad Frolunda for their game today, joining Lucas Raymond (who's center is our old friend Jan Mursak).  I believe they are playing Veleno's team.

Kronwall and Zetterberg are in the stands to watch apparently.

• Like 1