lordstanley

2020 Offseason Thread

On 9/26/2020 at 5:05 PM, kdog said:

-Stall's no movement clause did not apply for this trade

Has anyone seen why this is the case?  Seems odd.

Love the trade of course, gives them a warm body (who isn't making much money in relation to his cap hit) that they could maybe flip at the deadline.  Now they have three 2nd round picks in that draft too.

Well the team Steve Yzerman built just won the Stanley Cup.   It's gotta give you some hope as a Wings fan.   Can't wait for the 2023-24 season !

The Bolts made half a dozen decent moves/signings the past year. But yep, this is largely Yzerman’s creation

The Blueshirts included a sweetener in the deal, sending their 2021 second-round pick to the Red Wings with Staal in exchange for the “future considerations.” Staal, whose 892 regular-season games rank sixth in franchise history, owned a modified no-trade clause on which Detroit was not listed as off-limits, The Post has learned.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/26/rangers-trade-marc-staal-second-round-draft-pick-to-red-wings/

12 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Good for Stamkos, glad he won one.

FYI . . .

52 seasons due to the 2005 strike, but 53 years. Next spring will be 54 years between Cups, the same the Rangers had when winning it in 1994. The Rangers at least had made the Finals three times in the interim, so in some ways not as bad, but half of the Rangers' drought was in a 6 team NHL which is pretty bad.

In watching the Lightning win the Stanley Cup, Steve Yzerman said again today the best way to build a team is through the draft. “It’s impossible to build through free agency,” he said.

Between this and Mike Green retiring I think it is easy to say the Wings got the best of Holland here.

And speaking of Yzerman:

alright everybody, who is your pick for who the wings pick next week?

I think it’s going to go Lafreniere, Stutzle, Raymond. 

Wings luck out with Quinton Byfield

sens will take whichever one of byfield or stutzle falls to them.

My heart says Drysdale (just because I'd like to add a talented offensive blue-liner...); but my head says Stutzle (if he falls to us), Rossi, or Perfetti. In that order.

I'm indifferent as to our #4 overall pick as long as the Wings select the next Kucherov with one of the 2nd round picks.

15 hours ago, Buddha said:

alright everybody, who is your pick for who the wings pick next week?

I've been thinking Perfetti with his Draper connections, but Pronman brought up a good point that I think a scout raised: too many people are connecting Perfetti to Detroit and he thinks it is misdirection.  He was thinking Perfetti or Askarov (I hope they don't take a goalie at 4).

I've been hearing a ton of buzz about Raymond after his hot start in SHL and wouldn't mind him.  I doubt they get any of the "top three" to fall to them.

all this talk about rfa's.  if im the wings, do i give up a first and a third to sign an rfa this year?  i cant imagine thats in their plans.  

maybe giving up a second for someone, but im not sure any rfa worth a darn would sign for them for $3m a year.

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Abdelkader placed on waivers for buyout.

Such great news to wake up to.

28 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Abdelkader placed on waivers for buyout.

Kenny's gonna sign him in Edmonton now. Bon Voyage and thanks for a great performance in the 2009 Cup Final.

Rumor is that Bobby Ryan will sign a 1 year, $1 million deal in Detroit.  He should get decent ice time, if he scores a bit maybe they can flip him at the deadline to a team looking for a cheap depth scoring player.

all the marquee name goalies are going off the board.  

signed another depth defenseman we can hopefully flip at the deadline.

stevie seems to be keeping his powder dry so far.