AlaskanTigersFan

No baseball 2020 could be best thing ever for Tigers?

I wanted responses on this specifically. Sorry for making a new thread (moderators feel free to delete or merge to another thread if need be). 

Just curious though. As of today, Manfred says that he's not confident there will be a baseball season this year.  If this is the case, the draft next year would be the same draft order correct? This would give the Tigers the top pick again as well as the first pick in each round. Yes, we'd be without baseball this year and that'd stink pretty bad. Also too, we'd have a high pick next year anyways but this would guarantee we'd go 1-1 (Hello Kumar Rocker!). But could this actually be the best case scenario for the Tigers? Thoughts on this?

I would think there would be some sort of lottery for the draft. I don't think they would just give the Tigers 1-1 again. Keith Law would blow a gasket

Nothing good comes out of baseball choosing to not play this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless you're a member of the he-man baseball haters club

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, clinker said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.12up.com/amp/posts/bizarre-rule-rob-manfred-pick-2021-mlb-draft-order-if-2020-season-is-cut-short-01e4m1m57jb3

If under 81 games are played, the commissioner gets to decide the order with the union having some say.

In other words, we’re screwed.

I think the intent of that rule would be if they started the season and played 20 games or something and then had to stop again. They wouldn’t want the dodgers getting 1-1 if they got off to a slow start. 

what I expect to happen would be determining the order based on 2019 record (we already use last year’s record to break ties) or determining it based on an average record of the last 2-3 years. 

I hope you’re right. It would be much better than having to Fubar for Kumar.

8FFBEBC7-D5E0-43F6-AF8C-BD5C129FB450.jpegOr Losing for Leiter...003C00A8-AB5B-4C12-9251-6DFF9A08DEAA.thumb.jpeg.21ea19eeca54879ccba6aa2a3f328aff.jpeg

If they end up doing the average record thing then they would need to go back 3 years for the Tigers to get the 1st pick.  If it's only 2 years then they would pick 2nd after the Orioles.    

The thing I don’t like about not having a season is the fact that the guys that are literally knocking on the door to make the big club will not get any game experience this year. That will suck. 

However, at this point, I already believe the pipeline guys are pretty much screwed anyway for this season.

• Like 1

There is supposed to an expanded AFL this fall, so they can get some games in there.  That's not as good as a real season, but it's better than nothing. 

3 hours ago, clinker said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.12up.com/amp/posts/bizarre-rule-rob-manfred-pick-2021-mlb-draft-order-if-2020-season-is-cut-short-01e4m1m57jb3

If under 81 games are played, the commissioner gets to decide the order with the union having some say.

In other words, we’re screwed.

Theeeee Yankees win....the Yankees win!

Without games being played, I’m confident we would be in a favorable draft position.  Maybe not #1, but somewhere close.  No logic for any other outcome, when you consider the spirit of draft order.

of course, this is the MLB.

They could have a “lottery” like the NBA, and I’m sure it would be about as “random” as the NBA’s.  We could have 90 ping-pong balls to the Yankees one, and we would still be screwed.

• Haha 1

The fact that the current draft order only benefited from 5 rounds, should be a consideration in any solution.  Translation:  we was robbed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

The thing I don’t like about not having a season is the fact that the guys that are literally knocking on the door to make the big club will not get any game experience this year. That will suck. 

However, at this point, I already believe the pipeline guys are pretty much screwed anyway for this season.

I'm sure they will have some sort of centralized complex league that will simulate the minor leagues, as well as intensive instructional camps. They are not going to let them stagnate. Looking at the Covid19 graph, it is probably not quite time yet, though. Florida and Arizona are logical locations, and they are not looking good.

There’s no rule against starting new threads. There’s so little for moderators to do anymore that our electrical brain activity patterns have been uploaded into a cloud service in some some region of the multi-verse whose name I can’t even pronounce. 

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Fubar for Kumar.

I don't think Kumar is the slam dunk so many round here make him out to be. 

54 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Agree, I just like saying Fubar for Kumar though.  

52 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

He's not.

5 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

He's not.

Would you take Leiter over him?  Can't speak for everybody else but I know I was biased towards Kumar just cause of how dominant he looked against Michigan last year but of course that was only 1 start.  What worries me is that he doesn't have any room to grow and even in that game his velo was dropping towards the end, what will happen when he has to go every 5 days? 

3 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

There’s no rule against starting new threads. There’s so little for moderators to do anymore that our electrical brain activity patterns have been uploaded into a cloud service in some some region of the multi-verse whose name I can’t even pronounce. 

And it will probably be less than a couple of pages before it's totally OT anyway. 😄

With the minor league season being shut down, I think the biggest impact will be on the development of even younger players, not as much as the ones knocking on the door.  They lose an entire season and are a year older. Also, the veterans who are nearing milestones. It's a mess.