Motor City Sonics

Best Tiger Moment you ever saw LIVE

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I thought we were at #12 together.

I must have attended with someone else.

#13. Attended a night game with Mr. Biggs. May have been the same season as the Austin Jackson trade, which was an afternoon game. Outfield grass looked divine. Biggs caught a screaming liner that was headed for the nose of a lady in the row behind us. Biggs was a perfect gentleman and didn't put his hand on my knee even once.

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Biggs was a perfect gentleman and didn't put his hand on my knee even once.

He was too busy devising a way to stop short.

Getting frat boys ejected, after they told me to F off when I told them to watch their languae because kids were around was one of my lifetime highlights.   All it took was a glance at an usher. I felt like a President.  That was power.

30 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Getting frat boys ejected, after they told me to F off when I told them to watch their languae because kids were around was one of my lifetime highlights.   All it took was a glance at an usher. I felt like a President.  That was power.

Biff Mayhem

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I did not catch the liner.  It smashed her.  Possible it was the game before Jackson was traded?

I just looked it up. Same series. We went to the Tigers vs White Sox the Tuesday night the 29th. I came back with my daughter for the trade deadline game of Thursday afternoon the 31st.

15 hours ago, Oblong said:

I was also at that game in 98 against the Cubs.  Sosa homered to break Rudy York’s record for a month.  Matt Anderson hit the netting eith his first warm up pitch.  Tony Clark hit a long homer late in CF.  Great night.  It was like 95 degrees.  I met friends there coming from work where I had to wear a shirt and tie.  It was a mess 

i was at that game too.

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

in 2006 i was at a sox-tigers game in the bleachers at the cell.  there was a kid sitting behind me who couldnt have been more than 10 screaming "**** you detroit!  **** you curtis granderson!" at the top his lungs, much to the amusement of his parents.  i dont think the ushers were inclined to help even if i had said something.

the same game, maggs hit a home run and i clapped.  and this very large bald gentleman turned to me and told me to "take my faggot *** back to the north side."

so i did.

unlike sox games, which are always populated by idiot sox fans, ive never had any trouble at cubs games.  except the one time i was wearing a soccer shirt and some guy told me "nice shirt ***."  i assume he did it because i look so stunning in manchester united red and he was smitten.

thats about it.  probably because cubs games are full of tiger fans and tourists whenever i go rather than south side losers.

Another fond memory I have was against the White Sox in July of 2006.  It was probably the first Tigers game I ever been to that had a real playoff atmosphere to it.   The thing I remember most was Monroe crushing a grand slam two rows back of us.  The place was really rocking that night.

It was this game. They just smoked us the night before to get within 3 games and some people thought it was just a matter of time before the defending champs caught us but after this win that game I don't believe they ever got any closer to us in the standings.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET200607190.shtml

Seeing Willie Horton throw out Lou Brock at home plate in the 5th game of the ‘68 World Series. I peaked early in life. Nothing could ever conceivably match that. My dad got corporate tickets from a colleague who worked at the Standard Oil headquarters in Detroit. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I was as well on a date.

look, i thought you were interesting and made good conversation, but i would hardly call it a "date."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

in 2006 i was at a sox-tigers game in the bleachers at the cell.  there was a kid sitting behind me who couldnt have been more than 10 screaming "**** you detroit!  **** you curtis granderson!" at the top his lungs, much to the amusement of his parents.  i dont think the ushers were inclined to help even if i had said something.

the same game, maggs hit a home run and i clapped.  and this very large bald gentleman turned to me and told me to "take my faggot *** back to the north side."

so i did.

I also recall going to a game at the cell in 2006. Did the thing where you can drink under the night field seats and then have to head up by the third inning. At the time the tigers were maybe 5 games up in the standings. Ben Wallace had just signed with the bulls. The Sox fans were trying to talk trash about that, as if Ben Wallace signing a giant deal with the bulls somehow made me unhappy with the tigers holding a comfortable lead over their team in the standings. 

Im fairly certain it was the same game that I watched some Sox fan on Sox fan violence while we were leaving. Blood on the concrete and everything. 

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

look, i thought you were interesting and made good conversation, but i would hardly call it a "date."

Just because you are embarrassed after the fact does not change the nature of the encounter.

I was at the Cell in 2005 as part of a bachelor weekend. There were 15 of us at the game.  We didn't plan on going but after spending all evening and night getting hammered we sort of eased into Saturday.  After getting kind of drunk by 5 we decided we needed to "cool off" and realized the Tigers were also in town.  Someone figured out the best way to get us all there was a limo rather than 4 or 5 taxis.  Still think some regulations were broken.  We sat in the far reaches of the upper LF deck.... that was steep.  The groom, my boss at the time, is English.  So were 4 of his friends.  Soccer hooligans.  There were words exchanged throughout.  One guy kept saying "You guys are cheaters.... I saw the movie, I know".  We went to get hot dogs and ordered 30.... they made us pay in advance.  Two guys walking up those stairs with a stack of hot dogs in our arms... that was fun.

In the 8th we figured out that we didn't really know how to get back to where we were staying downtown and would probably be best if we left early to sort out the train situation.  WE're all looking at the map and ticket machine and luckily a transit guy came over and we told him where we needed to go  He got us the tickets with explicit instructions on what train to get on and when to get off.... of course someone doesn't pay attention... this is before the internet on our phones and GPS.    When we got off at the next stop to find those guys we ended up at some college bar for Southern Illinois.  After that is a big blur.  The next day we went to see Manchester United play Bayern Munich at Soldier Field.  Then I hopped on a plane and flew back by myself.... sitting across the aisle in a very small plane with Dan Petry, who was there doing TV for the Tigers.

2 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I was at the Cell in 2005 as part of a bachelor weekend. There were 15 of us at the game.  We didn't plan on going but after spending all evening and night getting hammered we sort of eased into Saturday.  After getting kind of drunk by 5 we decided we needed to "cool off" and realized the Tigers were also in town.  Someone figured out the best way to get us all there was a limo rather than 4 or 5 taxis.  Still think some regulations were broken.  We sat in the far reaches of the upper LF deck.... that was steep.  The groom, my boss at the time, is English.  So were 4 of his friends.  Soccer hooligans.  There were words exchanged throughout.  One guy kept saying "You guys are cheaters.... I saw the movie, I know".  We went to get hot dogs and ordered 30.... they made us pay in advance.  Two guys walking up those stairs with a stack of hot dogs in our arms... that was fun.

In the 8th we figured out that we didn't really know how to get back to where we were staying downtown and would probably be best if we left early to sort out the train situation.  WE're all looking at the map and ticket machine and luckily a transit guy came over and we told him where we needed to go  He got us the tickets with explicit instructions on what train to get on and when to get off.... of course someone doesn't pay attention... this is before the internet on our phones and GPS.    When we got off at the next stop to find those guys we ended up at some college bar for Southern Illinois.  After that is a big blur.  The next day we went to see Manchester United play Bayern Munich at Soldier Field.  Then I hopped on a plane and flew back by myself.... sitting across the aisle in a very small plane with Dan Petry, who was there doing TV for the Tigers.

i was also at that united game...

our paths have crossed so many times, and without all the messy entanglements and recriminations that come from meeting biggs.

I made the mistake of wearing Tigers gear to a White Sox game. It was the game where there were multiple bench clearing brawls. I thought for sure we would have to fight our way out of that stadium. Lots of stuff was being yelled at us. That was quite a day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Love hearing it referred to it as The Cell.  I managed the U.S. Cellular account for the advertising agency that I worked at, and was involved in the naming rights discussions.  It drove our clients crazy when sports radio referred to it as The Cell.  We also used Joan Cusack as our spokesperson in our TV campaign, and callers would refer to the stadium as The Joan, as well.

Money well spent.

1.  1999 Fick final game at Tiger Stadium HR

2. 1978 Rusty Staub grand slam in the bottom 9 with the Tigers down by 3 to KC

3. 1977 on my 9th birthday getting DAVE ROZEMA's autograph and some other guy standing there in a Tiger uniform named Trammell or something like that ;) .  

4. 2014 in Toronto Nick Casetllanos blast which was the game winning shot after Blue Jay fans behind us heckled us the whole time. 

5. 2009?  Alex Avilia hitting a 3-run HR at Chicago White Sox after me telling my kids "They should pinch hit, this guy sucks"   Had to eat a little crow that day but was happy to do so.