Motor City Sonics

Best Tiger Moment you ever saw LIVE

I was not at the game.  I had to drive my girl friend out to Worcester (Woostah) during the game.  I left her in Woostah (not permanently) and then went home to catch the end of the game.  I listened to the game on the car radio through static.  I have expertise in listening to static, because that's how grew up following the game.  I knew what was going on by listening to the intonation of the broadcasters voice, the crowd noise and the timing of commercials.  I did manage to get home in time to watch the home run though.  The adventure probably made it more memorable than if I had stayed home watching on TV.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I’d be interested to hear from people here that were NOT at the stadium for the maggs homer. It feels like everyone was at that game. 

I was at home with my young sons and I quietly cried like a ***** when Maggs homered (they were asleep, so I was alone)

I had just come back from Japan on a work assignment from **** (to put it politely) a week prior and everything just hit me like a ton of bricks.

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I was not at the game.  I had to drive my girl friend out to Worcester (Woostah) during the game.  I left her in Woostah (not permanently) and then went home to catch the end of the game.  I listened to the game on the car radio through static.  I have expertise in listening to static, because that's how grew up following the game.  I knew what was going on by listening to the intonation of the broadcasters voice, the crowd noise and the timing of commercials.  I did manage to get home in time to watch the home run though.  The adventure probably made it more memorable than if I had stayed home watching on TV.  

apropos of nothing, i spent two weeks in woostah last february for work!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’d be interested to hear from people here that were NOT at the stadium for the maggs homer. It feels like everyone was at that game. 

i was home watching the game on tv.  as maggs was coming to bat, someone rang our doorbell and i went to see who it was.  some guy trying to get me to sign some petition.

when i got back upstairs, maggs was rounding the bases.  so i missed it.

17 hours ago, leflore said:

Thanks for posting that John. Was very kind of your brother. Sorry for your loss. Do you still have the autographed card?

Sure do.  I need to break out my folders/boxes of cards and make a wall with the best or something.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

**** arsenal

At a place called Lions Tigers and Beers (closed now, but it was brand new then) in Wyandotte by the water with my then GF (current wife) and my late mother in law, drinking too much and having a good time overall when I look over at her phone and see some weird text that looked inappropriate with some other dude...I got all upset and stormed out of the place, stomped down to a Jimmy Johns that was close by...no one was in there, but they were listening to the game on the radio so I heard the HR and could not even really enjoy it because I was so upset with my wife (then GF).

Ended up hooking back up with them for a drive home and still upset the entire drive.  

Something that should have been a great moment for me is a crappy memory.

48 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I wasn't and am pissed about it.   At the time my kids were very young so child care was needed.  A family friend was getting married so most of our usual sitters were unavailable.  My wife's grandmother was in the hospital so she was designated to go be with her while all the others were at the wedding and we had another close friend have their kids 1st birthday party so I felt obligated to go to that too.  Wife would have been kind of pissed at me for bailing on her with two small kids to look after in that setting, then she'd have to run off to the hospital...  this all takes a week to plan out, aside from anxiety or what times the games are played due to TV issues (Game 3 was moved to earlier because of temp issues-Oblong thread)  so my buddy and i decided we'd sell game 4 to save $100 and go to games 3 and 5, never expecting a sweep.  Plus the Lions had a home game on that Sunday and my buddy also had Lions tickets.  We'd meet up after the Lions and have dinner, he'd sober up, and we'd go to game 5.  When I watch the video I look up at where our seats were and cringe... that year they gave us seats in the 3rd row upper deck club seats between 1st and home plate.... would have been  a perfect view of the HR.   

My uncle called me from the wedding because there was no TV.  It was the bottom of the ninth and I had the phone up to the TV.

The only reason I ended up at game 4 is because they moved up the game 3 time, which i I had tickets to but couldn’t get into town by the afternoon from Chicago. Somehow I was able to get a pair of those cushion seats for game 4 off the tigers website like the day before or whatever. 

As for other moments, there was the Grilli episode earlier that game where he threw 12 straight balls or whatever and was booed mercilessly. Those are basically the only two things I remember from that game. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I was at bar in the Pacific Beach section of San Diego.    If you know the area, this is a drinkers paradise with countless outdoor patio bars right near the ocean.  I stood up and screamed which surprised all of the people at my table that weren’t paying attention but also most everyone in a 100 foot vicinity.   There was a guy on the other end that was also cheering so I ran/skipped across the bar to high five him.  

I blacked out a few hours later and don’t remember anything else from that night.   

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I was at bar in the Pacific Beach section of San Diego.    If you know the area, this is a drinkers paradise with countless outdoor patio bars right near the ocean.  I stood up and screamed which surprised all of the people at my table that weren’t paying attention but also most everyone in a 100 foot vicinity.   There was a guy on the other end that was also cheering so I ran/skipped across the bar to high five him.  

I blacked out a few hours later and don’t remember anything else from that night.   

Yes, I know the area. Used to go some dive on that strip there with pinball machines. That would be a fun place to watch that game!

53 minutes ago, Buddha said:

**** arsenal

The thing about arsenal is that they always try to walk it in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

At a place called Lions Tigers and Beers (closed now, but it was brand new then) in Wyandotte by the water with my then GF (current wife) and my late mother in law, drinking too much and having a good time overall when I look over at her phone and see some weird text that looked inappropriate with some other dude...I got all upset and stormed out of the place, stomped down to a Jimmy Johns that was close by...no one was in there, but they were listening to the game on the radio so I heard the HR and could not even really enjoy it because I was so upset with my wife (then GF).

Ended up hooking back up with them for a drive home and still upset the entire drive.  

Something that should have been a great moment for me is a crappy memory.

I watched game 4 of the WS at that place.  Used to go a lot back then.  I left during the game convinced the Tigers were going to win that game, win game 5, then come home and Kenny Rogers would close out game 6.  I was at a light on Biddle when Granderson slipped in the OF..... dang.

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

I watched game 4 of the WS at that place.  Used to go a lot back then.  I left during the game convinced the Tigers were going to win that game, win game 5, then come home and Kenny Rogers would close out game 6.  I was at a light on Biddle when Granderson slipped in the OF..... dang.

Angelinas is a favorite for me when it comes to Mexican food.  It is better taco bell IMO.  Taco Bell tastes fantastic it is the aftermath and the preparation usually that takes away from it.  Angelinas is fantastic.  I bring this up because it is close by on Biddle and if you like Mexican and have not tried it I would.

yep, have had it.  Wife works at the hospital and my sister lives in one of the high rise condo units.  The Thai place is great too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

I wasn't and am pissed about it. 

I wasn't there but remember where I was; driving to pick up my wife because she refused to ask a friend to give her a ride home from work so they wouldn't be "inconvenienced". So I left our group watch party ( @potthole @MelissaG915 @Mr.MelissaG915 ) and had to listen on the radio in the car on my way to pick her up. I was on the S-Curve in downtown GR. Once in awhile I'll think about that and get a little mad.

I was also at the last opening day and the last game at Tiger Stadium. The Fick grand slam was so cool.

Plus I think 3/4 of us were at the Cubs/Tigers game when Matt Anderson made his debut. That was a fun game.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

We were the only ones in the stands that day.

So thats what I smelled.

Some favorite moments, in chronological order:

1. Kaline homering in the 1st inning of the 1st game I ever attended, against the White Sox in August 1973. The name Kaline meant nothing to me at the time, but it was the biggest roar I had heard in my life to that point.

2. Chanting "Run Run Run" as LeFlore took his lead off 1st  base on Bat Day in 1975.

3. Curtain call for Fidrych after his win over the Yankees on June 28, 1976. Bonus marks in my memory due to my family and friends celebrating my 9th birthday in the lower deck in left that game.

4. Rain delay at another Fidrych game the following year against the White Sox, as the big crowd started getting restless and the odd fan would jump over the railing and run around the outfield as the keystone cops chased after them.

5.Sitting in the upper deck in right in 1977 or 1978 as Jason Thompson blasted one over our heads over the roof.

6. Bergman's long at bat against the Jay's in '84 that ended with a walkoff home run. It was a school night in June but I had been allowed to take the car and drive to the game with a couple of friends.

7. Lemon's 7th inning catch in Game 3 of the '84 World Series, the only World Series game I have attended.

8. Bill Madlock homering in a Tigers' back to back to back sequence that tied a game in the '80s 

9. Surrounded by hostile bit wimpy Jays fans at Exhibition Stadium as Gibson's homer on the next to last Sunday of the '87 regular season kept the Tigers in the race.

10. Posing for pre-game photos at the Tigers dugout with family at the last ever Opening Day at Tiger Stadium.  The last ball game I would attend with my grandpa, who for 2 seasons in the late '20s would head to Navin Field after school got out at Cass Tech to make money sweeping up. He only missed 1 game in those 2 seasons so as not to lose the job. 

11. Running back and forth between innings from my seat to my dad's seat a couple of sections away behind home plate at the ALDs clincher against the Yankees in '06. The last ball game I wound attend with my dad.

12. Word spreading at the merry go round that Austin Jackson had just been traded for David Price. We were sitting alone the right field line and had seen him getting pulled from the game a short while earlier.

• Like 1

I was also at that game in 98 against the Cubs.  Sosa homered to break Rudy York’s record for a month.  Matt Anderson hit the netting eith his first warm up pitch.  Tony Clark hit a long homer late in CF.  Great night.  It was like 95 degrees.  I met friends there coming from work where I had to wear a shirt and tie.  It was a mess