Motor City Sonics

Best Tiger Moment you ever saw LIVE

As you can see, I was so giddy I was physically incapable of keeping the camera steady.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

As you can see, I was so giddy I was physically incapable of keeping the camera steady.

C’mon, we know it was the three Michelob Ultra’s (which set you back $30).

I was at game 5 in 84... but was 11 years old and honestly don't remember it in as much detail as you'd think.

I mean if you've been to playoff games from 2006-2013 then chances are you saw some "best moments" and that reasonably tops any other.

Just some random favorites in no order.

1) Jim Thome hitting #600.  Before the game I recall reading he was at 598.  When he hit his first that game the thought crossed my mind.  Told the people around us that he needed one more.  Tiger fans gave him an ovation as he rounded the basis, before the scoreboard said anything.  I liked it because it showed an intelligent fanbase.

2) Seeing Sanchez flirt with a no hitter, broken up by Mauer with 1 out in the 9th, and striking out 17 a few weeks apart in May 2013. 

3) Games 3 and 4 against the Yankees in 2006.  In my mind that is the best moment from 2006 because after choking away the division lead and losing game 1, badly, against the Yankees, the thinking to me was the Tigers wasted a magical turnaround season and it would all be for nothing.... no division title, etc.  Just a stupid wild card berth and then go back to being a ****ty team again.  Game 3 was awesome because it was the first playoff game in 19 years.  Kenny Rogers did his thing, Zumaya did his..... then game 4 where Bonderman was awesome.  I screamed as loud as I ever did at a game when he walked off the mound leaving the game.

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

C’mon, we know it was the three Michelob Ultra’s (which set you back $30).

If I would ever have drunk a Michelob Extra in my life, it would only have been if it set someone else back $30.

I was at the second-to-last game of the 1987 season, the Saturday Game that was on NBC, sitting in the center field bleachers. I kept the scorecard to it.

1987-10-03_Game_Tigers-Jays_Scorecard.thumb.jpg.0a5793c5a02181bfcdf19882ee5c9bb2.jpg

• Like 1

This thread reminded me of a game seeing Ben Oglive hit a long home run. My father and I both remarked that he looked to be a good one. Gone for 1 year of Jim Slaton, if memory serves

1 hour ago, leflore said:

That's awesome

One of the awesome things about that game that I didn’t realize at the time is that I saw a starter go 11 innings. Only six starters since have gone at least 11 innings, Dave Stewart being the last. That was 1990.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/tiny/gH3Es 

Cecil Fielder's home run that hit the roof and went over back in 1993 (I think)   I remember at the time feeling sorry for those fans that had left their seats either to go home or use the rest room or to get a snack.    I myself, never left my seat if Cecil was coming to the plate soon.    BTW, I believe that game ended in extra innings on a Mickey Tettleton home run.   That was a special night to be at the ball park.   

18 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

Cecil Fielder's home run that hit the roof and went over back in 1993 (I think)   I remember at the time feeling sorry for those fans that had left their seats either to go home or use the rest room or to get a snack.    I myself, never left my seat if Cecil was coming to the plate soon.    BTW, I believe that game ended in extra innings on a Mickey Tettleton home run.   That was a special night to be at the ball park.   

He also did it in 1990, against the Oakland A's. I was there. That was the same game Jose Canseco hit a home run into the upper deck of the center field bleachers, the only time I'd ever seen that in all the games I sat for out there.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer and I really do not have a most memorable on the field moment, but my fondest memory that I will never forget involved one of my older brothers who took me to a game when I was like maybe 10 or so and he was a boisterous type guy even as a kid, not afraid of anything.  I was young and extremely timid when I was younger....I had a Don Mattingly baseball card I brought with me because we were playing the Yanks (pretty sure I had a couple different players just in case), he happened to stroll over to the seats during BP and a big crowd surrounded the area, my brother tried to get me to go get his autograph, but I was too shy to do it so he grabbed my card and started walking down to the first row, the whole time looking back and motioning for me to follow him....I just stood there watching in amazement as he tore his way through the crowd and got Mattinglys autograph on my card and came back up and handed it to me.  I think I had been to a handful of games at that point in my life or it could very well have only been like my first or 2nd time there ever.  This would have been the mid 80's.  My brother passed away back in 2004 at a very young age and pretty suddenly.  I do not feel like I think about or talk about him enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting that John. Was very kind of your brother. Sorry for your loss. Do you still have the autographed card?

• Like 1

Fidrych vs Yankees on MNB will be shown tonight on Fox Sports Detroit. The TV announcers are great in this.

I'll offer two: first, Magglio's homer in game 4 of the 2006 ALCS, which is an easy one; second, Alex Sanchez scoring on a wild pitch in the bottom of the ninth in the next-to-last game of the 2003 season, ensuring that the Tigers would not exceed the Mets' 120 game loss record.

EDIT: The Tigers had been losing that 2003 game on a cold Saturday night 8-0 before coming back late and winning on that wild pitch.

6 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

I'll offer two: first, Magglio's homer in game 4 of the 2006 ALCS, which is an easy one; second, Alex Sanchez scoring on a wild pitch in the bottom of the ninth in the next-to-last game of the 2003 season, ensuring that the Tigers would not exceed the Mets' 120 game loss record.

EDIT: The Tigers had been losing that 2003 game on a cold Saturday night 8-0 before coming back late and winning on that wild pitch.

I’d be interested to hear from people here that were NOT at the stadium for the maggs homer. It feels like everyone was at that game. 

I wasn't at the game but I did end up running into Bobby Higginson and Kirk Gibson at the bar after it.   I said something to Bobby about is it frustrating to see the Tigers go to the Series right after he leaves and he said something like "I made 50 million off that team how could I be frustrated" lol atleast he was honest. 

I would be interested in that too.  I offered the non-Maggs division because its like blase I guess to have been at the Maggs game

I wasn't and am pissed about it.   At the time my kids were very young so child care was needed.  A family friend was getting married so most of our usual sitters were unavailable.  My wife's grandmother was in the hospital so she was designated to go be with her while all the others were at the wedding and we had another close friend have their kids 1st birthday party so I felt obligated to go to that too.  Wife would have been kind of pissed at me for bailing on her with two small kids to look after in that setting, then she'd have to run off to the hospital...  this all takes a week to plan out, aside from anxiety or what times the games are played due to TV issues (Game 3 was moved to earlier because of temp issues-Oblong thread)  so my buddy and i decided we'd sell game 4 to save $100 and go to games 3 and 5, never expecting a sweep.  Plus the Lions had a home game on that Sunday and my buddy also had Lions tickets.  We'd meet up after the Lions and have dinner, he'd sober up, and we'd go to game 5.  When I watch the video I look up at where our seats were and cringe... that year they gave us seats in the 3rd row upper deck club seats between 1st and home plate.... would have been  a perfect view of the HR.   

My uncle called me from the wedding because there was no TV.  It was the bottom of the ninth and I had the phone up to the TV.

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wasn't at the game but I did end up running into Bobby Higginson and Kirk Gibson at the bar after it.   I said something to Bobby about is it frustrating to see the Tigers go to the Series right after he leaves and he said something like "I made 50 million off that team how could I be frustrated" lol atleast he was honest. 

I saw Higginson and Chelios at Cheli's bar downtown before a Prince Concert at the fox..... I think 2004.  They got into a limo.  He was all dressed up in a Sixer's throwback jersey and T Shirt.... Chris had a nice jacket and shirt on.

We at the game when they retired Hank and Charlie's numbers. That was cool.

don't really have a best play memory, but do have worst play. It was at some point in the dark days of the 90's. At the old ballpark - against Toronto. IIRC it was men on 1st and 2nd. Batter bunted, catcher (Tettleton?) threw the ball past 1st. Tony Phillips was in RF, chased it down and threw it past 3rd. 2 runs scored and a man on third.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

We at the game when they retired Hank and Charlie's numbers. That was cool.

don't really have a best play memory, but do have worst play. It was at some point in the dark days of the 90's. At the old ballpark - against Toronto. IIRC it was men on 1st and 2nd. Batter bunted, catcher (Tettleton?) threw the ball past 1st. Tony Phillips was in RF, chased it down and threw it past 3rd. 2 runs scored and a man on third.

I was at that game too.  I was like 9 or something.... so I didn't know who they were.  Don't think we went specifically for that.  We had seats by the Tigers dugout so I'm sure they were freebies.  At the time I didn't care really....  I just remember being there.  

Was at Yaz's final game at Tiger Stadium.  He got a nice ovation from the crowd in his final at bat.  Had a chance to get his autograph after but didn't think he'd stay as long as he did.  A long line formed and he did it.    From a Boston friend I have learned what a recluse he is.  He has a favorite sandwich shop near Fenway and anytime people want to get in touch with him, including the Red Sox org, they ask the owner of the shop.  Nobody knows his phone number or details.