Motor City Sonics

Best Tiger Moment you ever saw LIVE

Tiger stadium sitting behind the tigers dugout. Matt nokes hit two home runs. The second bounced off the right fielders glove. 

I was also at Mike Morath's Perfect game through the 7th I think? It was part of a double header. Forgot who verse. I got to be in the Fox Sports Box Suite.  That was fun too. 

I'm with six-hopper.  Fifth game of the WS in 1984.  I was 16 and had box seats.  My wife still gets pissed at me when I describe Gibson's second home run as the greatest thing I've ever felt.  I still get chills thinking about it, the sound of that crowd was amazing.  Being on the field afterward was right up there; getting my piece of turf that became smaller and smaller as I walked down Michigan Ave and people tore pieces off.  Tiger fan for life after that.

Second would be in 1987.  I came home from college for the final three games.  Tanana was spellbinding; it was like the whole stadium was holding its breath.

10 minutes ago, leflore said:

Any of you get to see Fidrych in person?

I did, but was only 10, so the details and experience are fuzzy.  Can only say I was at one of his games.  

I saw some random early season game in April of  2000 ....Juan Gone crushed a pitch that would have been eight rows back in the left center stands in Texas but it was just a long out in the original Comerica.  I think he said "F this, I'm leaving" right then

Having lived 3 hours from Detroit when I did live in Michigan, I've probably been to 20 Tigers home games (mostly TS), 20ish on the road, 10ish other games not vs tigers, and probably 100+ minor league games. I've seen ONE walkoff homer. That was Scott Moore in Lakeland in 2004. 

One of my most-memorable moments was in 88 being behind home plate when I think it was Honeycut? drilled Tram in the elbow and caused him to miss the AS game. 

Also was at this game in '90 where Tanana gave up 5 in the first but the Tigers won 17-9. Crazy game. 

25 minutes ago, leflore said:

Not in a game.  I got a chance to see him speak at a baseball instruction clinic after he retired.  He sounded just the way you would expect him to sound.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Saw Tettleton clear the roof.

Jerk. If I could watch any past Tiger play again, I might pick him. Maybe it was because I was 18ish and it was such a memorable time for me. In fact, I was strip-searched by Canadian customs after a game once during that era. To be a kid again. 

I've for sure told this story here before, but **** it. I was at a Flying Tigers game in Lakeland in '05. A 10k seat stadium and there was maybe 200 in attendance, so you could always sit anywhere. I'm by the 1st base (home) dugout, have the 2nd row to myself, and this older black guy around 50 sits right next to me. The stadium was empty and it annoyed me. He mumbled something about if I had joints? I asked for clarification. He opens a brief case and begins his sales pitch on some supplements he was peddling. I tried to ignore him. This went on for about two innings. Roger (HueyTaxi) was in front of me and finally cut in and introduced himself to the guy. It was Lou. Yes, that Lou. Couldn't believe it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I remember going to a lot of Yankees games because my girlfriend was from NY. Paul ONeill has an awful game on a Sunday during 2000 season and the tigers completed the sweep. 

And he got a vendor fired for breaking out a broom and chanting SWEEP.   I'll never forgive him for that - EVER.  What a cry baby.  I think the vendor got his job back, but what a ****head to whine about a fanbase that had nothing to cheer for in over a decade celebrating a sweep against the best team.   I hate him.  Truly hate him. 

1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I was also at Mike Morath's Perfect game through the 7th I think? It was part of a double header. Forgot who verse. I got to be in the Fox Sports Box Suite.  That was fun too. 

I was there too.  It was a rare daytime back-to-back doubleheader.   The date May 1st comes to mind.   I had to be on the air at the Fisher Building at 7pm and called my boss and told him  "Look, I am watching a no-hitter here, and I don't want to leave, can I be late? and he'll said it won't be an issue because I just jinxed it.   Next at bat the Orioles got a hit and then won the game.   It was all my fault.  Maroth heard me. 

5 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Last two games of the 87 regular season...one of the 84 playoff games against KC.

FAIL !      I appreciate your input but this was about MOMENTS, not games.      

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Not in his rookie season but when he came back in 1977,  I was hanging out with friends and got home around quarter to 7 and my mom told me my uncle was just there and had a ticket for me to go to his comeback game, but he couldn't wait any longer - so I missed it.  Closest I ever got.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why can't it be both.... 

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And he got a vendor fired for breaking out a broom and chanting SWEEP.   I'll never forgive him for that - EVER.  What a cry baby.  I think the vendor got his job back, but what a ****head to whine about a fanbase that had nothing to cheer for in over a decade celebrating a sweep against the best team.   I hate him.  Truly hate him. 

That and he promised a sick kid 2 HR, but he only produced a HR and a triple with a throwing error that scored him.

• Haha 1

Just now, Yoda said:

Why can't it be both.... 

I am looking for specific plays, specific moments here............if it's a moment within one of those games, great.   The last game of 87 - it was Tanana making the final play and the roar of the crowd, for some it might be Herndon's Home Run, I couldn't see it.   The game before that it was Jim Walewander scoring from 2nd base, the game before that it was Scott Lusader's diving catch in RF.   

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That and it wasn't an inside the park HR, it was a triple and a throwing error.

That means that poor little Timmy never got up and walked again..................see - O'Neill is a jerk !

42 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That and he promised a sick kid 2 HR, but he only produced a HR and a triple with a throwing error that scored him.

And the little **** had to give up his signed birthday card. Totally gyp'd. 

49 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You masturbate a lot, don't you?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

You masturbate a lot, don't you?

941.png

10 hours ago, clinker said:

I'm with six-hopper.  Fifth game of the WS in 1984.  I was 16 and had box seats.  My wife still gets pissed at me when I describe Gibson's second home run as the greatest thing I've ever felt.  I still get chills thinking about it, the sound of that crowd was amazing.  Being on the field afterward was right up there; getting my piece of turf that became smaller and smaller as I walked down Michigan Ave and people tore pieces off.  Tiger fan for life after that.

Second would be in 1987.  I came home from college for the final three games.  Tanana was spellbinding; it was like the whole stadium was holding its breath.

Yeah, I was at all of those last three games against the Blue Jays.  The final one was special because of the Tanana shutout and, of course, it clinched the division, but all three of them were crucial, and all of them were one-run games, so the tension was just a bit on the high side.   

• Like 1

I recall a game my family went to in '75 during a long losing streak. The Tigers had called up a first baseman named Jack Pierce. A soft pop up went right to him......and he dropped it. I was 9, and I recall thinking "I would have caught that." That was a tough season.

Without looking it up, who did the Tigers trade to get Jack Pierce?  

Hint:  Another player with the same name never played for the Tigers (he almost did), but you probably know him a lot better.