Motor City Sonics

Best Tiger Moment you ever saw LIVE

While we wait for baseball to either come back or destroy itself..............

I guess for me it would be the last game of 1987.   I would love to say it was Larry Herndon's solo home run (the only run of the game), but where I was in the upper deck I never saw it, we could only react to the rest of the stadium.    So it would have to be the final out.  The grounder to Frank Tanana.   I went to every game that whole week leading up.     

Second for me would be Robert Fick's grand slam in the last ever game at Tiger Stadium.  

Third might be the day a ball boy chased down a fan and tackled him during a melee between the Tigers and Brewers.   Higginson had hit a grounder to the pitcher, Ray King and instead of just tagging him, King swipe-tagged him hard and Higgy didn't appreciate it and the two squared off, both benches cleared and no punches were thrown.   Then a fan jumped over the left field wall (before the bullpens were moved there) and started running toward the melee,  just as he got to the edge of the infield dirt between short and third the ball boy from left filed jumped up, ran him down and tackled him right by the pitcher's mound...........Standing O from the crowd and both teams applauding him.    The kids name, I believe, was Jeremy Jackson and he played high school football and track.  It was beautiful.  

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I guess for me it would be the last game of 1987.   I would love to say it was Larry Herndon's solo home run (the only run of the game), but where I was in the upper deck I never saw it, we could only react to the rest of the stadium.    So it would have to be the final out.  The grounder to Frank Tanana.   I went to every game that whole week leading up.     

Second for me would be Robert Fick's grand slam in the last ever game at Tiger Stadium.  

Third might be the day a ball boy chased down a fan and tackled him during a melee between the Tigers and Brewers.   Higginson had hit a grounder to the pitcher, Ray King and instead of just tagging him, King swipe-tagged him hard and Higgy didn't appreciate it and the two squared off, both benches cleared and no punches were thrown.   Then a fan jumped over the left field wall (before the bullpens were moved there) and started running toward the melee,  just as he got to the edge of the infield dirt between short and third the ball boy from left filed jumped up, ran him down and tackled him right by the pitcher's mound...........Standing O from the crowd and both teams applauding him.    The kids name, I believe, was Jeremy Jackson and he played high school football and track.  It was beautiful.  

One that comes to mind is Max getting out of the bases loaded no out situation against the A's in the v playoffs several years back.  Not really that famous of moment but probably the moment that fired me up the most.

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

One that comes to mind is Max getting out of the bases loaded no out situation against the A's in the v playoffs several years back.  Not really that famous of moment but probably the moment that fired me up the most.

Nah, that was a huge moment. When he came in it felt like the tigers were likely to lose the series. I was at that game too (in the upper deck like a plebe).

Bonderman hit Miguel Tajada and benches cleared. Joel Zumaya and Tajada squared off......

I was also at Gallaraga's Perfect non-Perfect game. I thought there was going to be a riot....... 

Last two games of the 87 regular season...one of the 84 playoff games against KC.

49 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Nah, that was a huge moment. When he came in it felt like the tigers were likely to lose the series. I was at that game too (in the upper deck like a plebe).

That was a good moment, but he's the one who loaded the bases and he also allowed a run in the seventh.  So, not pitching well before that moment, takes something away from it for me.  

Verlander's no hitter was the most memorable for me.  The 9th inning was absolutely electric.

I won't forget Damion Easley hitting for the cycle, but in large part because it was not announced until the next half inning, maybe later.

My brother was convinced the lack of announcement at the time meant that either I was mistaken in my belief that he actually got 4 hits for the cycle - or - upon conceding he *may have* 4 hits, either the triple or double (I forgot which) wasn't ruled as such because the fielder didn't get the ball in as quickly as might be expected.  I doubt there were much for than 10,000 in attendance for that game.  It was pretty cold as I recall, and it was one of my first games at Comerica, if not the first.

Another moment I won't forget is Austin Jackson, in his last game as a Tiger, almost smoked me in the noggin with a foul ball.  I barely moved my head out of the way and it drilled the woman behind me.  I feel terrible about it, but it was on me so fast it was purely reaction.  She had to get medical attention and didn't return until much later in the game.

I was with lordstanley as I recall, but may be mistaken about that.  We were behind first base, about 15 rows up, whomever I was with.  Only time a ball has come close to me at the hundreds of games I have been at, and that one was **close**.

Lou Whitaker got a key double to help beat the Indians in 1984.  I called it.  

Curtis Granderson made a great diving catch to prevent a rally causing Fenway fans to go silent.  

59 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Verlander's no hitter was the most memorable for me.  The 9th inning was absolutely electric.

I won't forget Damion Easley hitting for the cycle, but in large part because it was not announced until the next half inning, maybe later.

My brother was convinced the lack of announcement at the time meant that either I was mistaken in my belief that he actually got 4 hits for the cycle - or - upon conceding he *may have* reached via 4 hits, either the triple or double (I forgot which) wasn't ruled as such because the fielder didn't get the ball in as quickly as might be expected.  I doubt there were much for than 10,000 in attendance for that game.  It was pretty cold as I recall, and it was one of my first games at Comerica, if not the first.

Another moment I won't forget is Austin Jackson, in his last game as a Tiger, almost smoked me in the noggin with a foul ball.  I barely moved my head out of the way and it drilled the woman behind me.  I feel terrible about it, but it was on me so fast it was purely reaction.  She had to get medical attention and didn't return until much later in the game.

I was with lordstanley as I recall, but may be mistaken about that.  We were behind first base, about 15 rows up, whomever I was with.  Only time a ball has come close to me at the hundreds of games I have been at, and that one was **close**.

AJax thought you were Shelton.  

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No contest: Kirk Gibson's eighth-inning home run off of Goose Gossage  in Game Five of the 1984 World Series.  Turned a one-run lead into a four-run lead and assured us that the Tigers were going to win the World Series at home.   When he hit it,  the ballpark shook and the noise was deafening.  And Gibby's triumphant tour of the bases and the team celebration after he crossed the plate (memorialized in that iconic photograph by Mary Schroeder) were icing on the cake. 

Second is my first trip to Tiger Stadium -- for a July 12, 1970 doubleheader against the Orioles.  Most of the heroes of 1968 were still on the team.  The Tigers' starting pitchers were Mickey Lolich and Denny McLain.  Lolich won the first game, which featured leadoff home runs by the Tigers in the first three innings, by Mickey Stanley, Bill Freehan, and Al Kaline.  And the field was, of course, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

Number Three is that last game in 1987,  which was awesome as the culmination of that incredible final week. 

Number Four is Magglio's pennant-winning walkoff home run in 2006, because it was not only a great moment, but because my sons and my best friend were there to see it with me.

Number Five for me would be your Number Two -- Robert Fick's grand slam on the roof as the last hit in Tiger Stadium, followed by the Tigers past and present coming out and occupying their positions on the field to say farewell to the best place there has ever been to watch a baseball game.

Sixth place goes to a Kirk Gibson inside-the-park hone run.  A no-arc line drive that hit the center filed fence by the 440 mark and caromed right past the center fielder.  Gibby was flying and scored without a throw.

Seventh is Gibson's line drive hit so hard that the opposing first baseman hit the f\dirt rather than try to catch it.  The only time I ever saw something like that from a Major League infielder.  That and the inside-the-parker I referenced above might have been the two hardest-hit balls I've ever seen live.

Eighth is the Skeeter Barnes/Cecil Fielder triple play.

Ninth is Lou Whitaker's home run over the roof.  (Honorable mention to Gibby, whom I saw hit one out in a game but just barely foul.  I also saw him clear the roof in fair territory in batting practice.)

Rounding out my Top Ten is Brandon Inge charging a bunt, fielding it what seemed like about 15 feet from the plate, and turning and throwing a bullet to second base and getting the force.  What an arm!  The greatest defensive play I've ever seen live.  Maybe the greatest period. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leflore said:

You bass turds were actually at all those games?

Well, I was at the ten I mentioned.  (I just edited mine to make it a Top Ten list.)

I finally got to see the Ryan express pitch in person. He left in the 1st inning and no reason was announced. Found out later that night he was injured and it turned out to be his final game. I thought I was going to my favorite game and it turned out to be the biggest let down. 

Now that you mentioned it, seeing Nolan Ryan pitch is a candidate for my list, too.  I was a few rows behind home plate in a game that he pitched, and he no-hit the Tigers for the first six innings or so.  Seeing his ungodly stuff from right behind the plate made me wonder how anyone ever got a hit off of him.  

I was also at Granderson's 20-20-20-20 game, which also was the game that Bonderman's shoulder blew up.  It was terrible.  I think the Tigers gave up 8 runs in the top of first or something.  It was hot as balls.  It was the first time I took my older son to a game.  He goes to college in the fall and is taller than I.

1935208_101070319910935_2333409_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=de6eea&_nc_ohc=-2izNKUmzNMAX8-4aol&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=50eded7a6ca8a4866ae9e5039734d742&oe=5F0BA070

I was at Fryman's cycle game.  Went 5-5, starting and ending with a double. It was a day game and I had to return to campus for some reason (maybe an issue with class registration?) and ran into a co-ed I was friendly with.   Took her to the game.  She was a huge Fryman fan, so it made the rest of the day fun.  Thank you, Travis, appreciated the help.

Saw Matt Anderson's debut and went down behind home.  He threw hard.  Saw Sosa homer in 98 when the Cubs visited.  Saw Tettleton clear the roof.

A bunch of other stuff as well.  Baseball.

Going to opening day in 99 and hearing everyone in the bleachers boo masao kida is a moment i will never forget. 

I was at the 1984 game against the Blue Jays where Dave Bergman had the long at-bat in extra innings...like 15 pitches...most foul balls I have ever seen in 1 at-bat...hits a game winning 2 out HR to right field. Epic AB.

I remember going to a lot of Yankees games because my girlfriend was from NY. Paul ONeill has an awful game on a Sunday during 2000 season and the tigers completed the sweep. 

Rob Fick hit a walk off on a 2-1 pitch in summer of 2001. Some couple pulled me and my date out of the box office line and gave us free tickets.