How would you rate the Tigers 2020 Draft?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Your grade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I was questioning Avila's strategy of working backwards toward Torkelson - or maybe it wasn't his choice but Boras'. Anyway great news they have everyone signed.

I wish Topps still made rookie cards with 3-4 players per card, as they did in the 60s - 80s. I don't collect any newer cards but I'd like those. Sort of like '78 that included Tram, Lou, Parish and Morris - although they were each on separate cards.

• Like 1

This draft might be an A+. I couldn't imagine doing better, now all are signed. I think all six have a chance, with an impact high end (Torkleson) or more.

avila saved a lot of money this year by not scouting and just picking from various internet top 150 lists.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

avila saved a lot of money this year by not scouting and just picking from various internet top 150 lists.

he was on auto-draft

The only pick I don't love is Cruz, but I also don't hate it.  If his upside is a utility infielder, why risk not getting Workman in the 4th round, who appears to have much more upside?

And if someone says, "bloodlines" again, I will cut you.  Or, "the new normal."  I miss when the days when douchers would use words like paradigm to make them seem so frickin' intellectual.  

<rant over>

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

But no free agents signed at $20k.

Weird.

Also... disappointing. Not "highly", as these guys would be 6th rounders or even much, much later-type picks... but still... disappointing, especially after Al's commentary on the matter.

I think this simply means the only players the Tigers valued at or above $20k either decided to re-enter the draft next year or sign with another team.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think this simply means the only players the Tigers valued at or above $20k either decided to re-enter the draft next year or sign with another team.

So Al either overvalued our chances or lost out to other teams.

Disappointing.

4 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

So Al either overvalued our chances or lost out to other teams.

Disappointing.

Not in the slightest. 

Yeah, I take it to mean, in Venn diagram terms, the intersection of the population guys they valued at $20k (or more) and the population of guys willing to sign for $20k (or less) was a near null set, if not null set.

they did miss out on four of their unsigned 2019 draft picks, which I found surprising

35 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

and/Or as noted by Liston, they didn't value any remaining player more than the last guy they know they have to cut from a current MiLB roster in the reduction.

8 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I don't get the angst about these $20,000 guys.  Where would you even put them?  

There's no angst... what are you talking about?

Only the very slightest disappointment.

27 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Not in the slightest. 

... except for Shelton.

On a balance scale... Our A+ 6-pick draft weighs 10 Kilos and our missed $20K opportunities weighs one joint. Errrr... ounce.

I just wanted to clear that up.

did the minor league re-alignment plans floated have proposals on the size of the draft going forward?  Just back of the envelope, if you have even 4 minor league teams of 25 and say the average MiLB career is 4 yrs, that is still a turnover of 25 players per year.

I guess I like late round lottery picks... just for the sake of having them... Still looking for the (Joel Zumaya, 11th; Chad Green, 11th; Bubba Trammell, 11th; Bobby Higginson, 12th; Matt Joyce, 12th; Devon Travis, 13th; Caspar Wells, 14th; Vern Ruhle, 17th; Casey Fien, 20th; John Smoltz, 22nd; Humberto Sanchez, 31st round...) types we come across on occasion. And (slightly) disappointed that Avila's efforts yielded... nothing. Even with the difficulties caused by the pandemic.

I think I like the late round lotteries for two reasons: 1) just for the story. But more importantly: 2) Even if they don't do much in Detroit, they still could contribute by being part of a helpful trade that may contribute (Wells part of Doug Fister trade, Smoltz for Alexander, Humberto part of Gary Sheffield trade, etc...)

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

did the minor league re-alignment plans floated have proposals on the size of the draft going forward?  Just back of the envelope, if you have even 4 minor league teams of 25 and say the average MiLB career is 4 yrs, that is still a turnover of 25 players per year.

Which means we're not worried about 40-man roster guys, or even 60-man roster & taxi squad guys.

They would be replacing other late-rounders that aren't cutting it.

It's like sifting through river mud and finding one small 1/2 ounce speck of gold that becomes useful... In one way or another.

I've sifted river mud before (not for gold, but for fossils... which is even better...).

Have other teams signed 20k guys? I thought I read undrafted signings can't become official until Sunday

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

This draft represents a paradigm shift from the Avila regime.

And that paradigm shift appears to emphasize bloodlines (ducking)

14 minutes ago, leflore said:

Have other teams signed 20k guys? I thought I read undrafted signings can't become official until Sunday

Most have signed 1 to 13 players. 

Baseball America tracker: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-mlb-undrafted-free-agent-tracker-agreements-for-all-30-teams/#Tigers

A couple other teams aside from Detroit have signed zero: Rays, Angels.

Total 150 $20K signings = average of 5 per team. Royals signed 7... I consider them to be roughly at the same spot we are in the rebuild process...

Nothing but lottery tickets but... Like I said, I like lottery tickets (when I don't have to pay for them...).

12 minutes ago, leflore said:

PS: The flipside of that is maybe Al signed 5-7 guys but has it under tight wraps until... wasn't it LAST Sunday that they could be official? Not the coming Sunday...?

1 minute ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

PS: The flipside of that is maybe Al signed 5-7 guys but has it under tight wraps until... wasn't it LAST Sunday that they could be official? Not the coming Sunday...?

I do tend to get Sundays mixed up. Damn!