How would you rate the Tigers 2020 Draft?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Your grade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

He should be called Tres Cruz as he is the third Cruz.  I always thought his grandfather was underrated with the Astrodome suppressing his power.  Looking at his career numbers, he hit 80% more home runs on the road, but his OPS was actually better at home. Still, he was an excellent all around player who could do a little bit of everything.  It's funny.  I was just thinking he was a lot like Amos Otis and it turns out that Otis is his closest comp using similarity scores.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He should be called Tres Cruz as he is the third Cruz.  I always thought his grandfather was underrated with the Astrodome suppressing his power.  Looking at his career numbers, he hit 80% more home runs on the road, but his OPS was actually better at home. Still, he was an excellent all around player who could do a little bit of everything.  It's funny.  I was just thinking he was a lot like Amos Otis and it turns out that Otis is his closest comp using similarity scores.  

I agree, Jose Cruz was a great player.  Just from memory, having seen him occasionally on TV, I would describe him as "flashy".  Not a "hotdog" in the irritating Ricky Peters sense.  Just "flashy".  Worth the price of admission to see him play.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Yea, but isn't Clemens still projected for the starting 2B in the next 2-3 years?

not looking very likely.

As long as we're discussing bloodlines....

Kelly spends his offseasons in Mars, PA, with his wife, Carrie, and their three sons, Brett, Luke and Brooks.. He married Carrie Walker on January 13, 2007; his brothers-in-law include Miami Marlins infielder Neil Walker and former minor leaguer Matt Walker; his father-in-law is former major league pitcher Tom Walker. His wife Carrie was a women’s basketball player at Wagner College and the Northeast Conference Rookie of the Year in 2001. She went on to play a year of professional basketball for Killarney (St. Paul’s) of the Irish Women’s SuperLeague. His sister Ashlee was a standout women's basketball player for Quinnipiac University and the Northeast Conference Player of the Year in 2003. After spending three years as head women's basketball coach at Mercy College, she was named assistant coach at Iona College on July 1, 2009.

Anyone got the inside info on the Kelly kids?

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

As long as we're discussing bloodlines....

Anyone got the inside info on the Kelly kids?

Yes.  They are monsters in the Mars, PA little league program.  Luke was named an All-Star representative for his 9U team.

36 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Tigers sign Colt for 500k which is 75k above slot.

much cheaper than I would have thought.  Kid must really have an aversion to school books.  And coeds.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I assume they had their physical in Lakeland.  I wonder where they're told to go after this.

Hopefully the first place they told him to go was to go get his name legally changed from Colten to Colt.  

12 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I thought you meant Donnie Firebird Kelly too. Just clarifying (Yes I added the Firebird)

I can see DFK driving around in a Firebird.  With T tops, of course.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I can see DFK driving around in a Firebird.  With T tops, of course.

He is The Legend after all.... I think they modeled the Dos Equis guy after him.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah, a lot less than what I thought too... Thought he was holding out for a cool ONE MILLION Dollars...

2 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

He is The Legend after all.... I think they modeled the Dos Equis guy after him.....

That's a good point - I'm not sure that he could grow that beard or win a bullfight, but he is a very interesting guy.

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

much cheaper than I would have thought.  Kid must really have an aversion to school books.  And coeds.

Might be smart to get his education paid for.

You could afford a crate of wilt chamberlin autographed condoms with 500k

On 6/15/2020 at 8:59 AM, Tenacious D said:

I think we’ll invest/upgrade at SS.  Willi Castro’s greatest contribution to the Tigers org will be when he succeeds Ramon Santiago as the 1B coach.

Sounds like they'll use Workman at SS, as well as Cruz. Also with the Tigers expected to sign Christian Santana in January (July 2nd pushed back); the organizational talent base at SS will be improved. Hopefully one shakes out of that bunch. I'm really intrigued by Workman, especially if he can play SS full time. 

7 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Sounds like they'll use Workman at SS, as well as Cruz. Also with the Tigers expected to sign Christian Santana in January (July 2nd pushed back); the organizational talent base at SS will be improved. Hopefully one shakes out of that bunch. I'm really intrigued by Workman, especially if he can play SS full time. 

Perhaps.  I just don’t see us having a 100% homegrown lineup as we look to contend and there are many good SS who will be hitting free agency over the next few seasons. I think Cruz eventually moves over to 2B to compete with Clemens.  This is another position that we could look to upgrade externally.  I see Workman, Quintana and Paredes in the mix at 3B.  Tork, too, but we don’t have a 1B in the org, besides Cabrera, who I doubt plays there after this season.  Greene, Cabrera and Cameron in the OF, though we could add a player there, too.  It would be nice to have one of Candelario, Demeritte and/or Stewart go off this year, to push them into the future core group.

Just spitballing a minor league depth chart here:

Future Value:

Catcher: Dingler, Rogers, Johnson, McMillan

First Base: Tork

2nd Base: Clemens, Cruz, Kenley, Lipcius

3rd Base: Paredes, Workman, Keith, Quintana, Kriedler, Lipcius, Reyes

SS: Workman, Castro, Cruz, Perez, Alcantara

RF: Riley Greene, De la Cruz, Campos

CF: Greene, Meadows, Cameron

LF: Cabrera, Packard

I mostly agree with your depth chart, but think Cameron is one of our top 3 OFers right now. Could see Packard moving to 1B to provide depth there. Also not ready to give up on Derek Hill yet.

Mostly from a timing/developmental perspective, I’d group Meadows, Keith, Perez, Reyes, Campos, De la Cruz and McMillan together as part of the next wave: 3+ years away.

Depending on what the next draft class looks like, I would guess we would look at college pitching and high school bats as opportunities to fill out the farm, assuming BPA.

After ignoring pitching for 2 straight drafts, they definitely have to get some of that.

Yeah, hopefully Daz is able to adjust from his failed attempt with altering launch angle and find his groove again. He's young and gifted and I'm hopeful he'll be a starting OF soon.  Maybe become a 20/20 guy with good D and hit .240-.280