How would you rate the Tigers 2020 Draft?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Your grade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

4 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

We are allowed to make trades and sign free agents

I was just going off who we have now. I'm still hoping for Lindor and Betts ūü§£ūüėú

5 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I was just going off who we have now. I'm still hoping for Lindor and Betts ūü§£ūüėú

Won't get both. I doubt if either, but if I had a choice, it would be Lindor.

12 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

2022 Detroit Tigers:
1b- Tork

2b- Schoop

3b- Paredes

SS- Castro

RF- Greene

CF- Cameron

LF- Cabrera

C- Romine

DH- Miggy

I really have a hard time seeing Schoop and Romine as holdovers until then.

I think we’ll invest/upgrade at SS.  Willi Castro’s greatest contribution to the Tigers org will be when he succeeds Ramon Santiago as the 1B coach.

7 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think we’ll invest/upgrade at SS.  Willi Castro’s greatest contribution to the Tigers org will be when he succeeds Ramon Santiago as the 1B coach.

Maybe, maybe not.  Castro is only 23 years old, so I think he still has some time yet to prove whether he belongs or not.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Castro is only 23 years old, so I think he still has some time yet to prove whether he belongs or not.

First they didn't like his fielding technique but he seems to have addressed that, he Ks too much (doesn't everyone?) but he did walk at a reasonable pace at AAA.  Maybe a ceiling at a 1-2 WAR player in there? I could see him bringing similar net value as Iglesias but more bat and less glove in the total? Not the end of the world to play a guy like that -  but first he has to prove he can at least pass Niko.

5 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Won't get both. I doubt if either, but if I had a choice, it would be Lindor.

Of course a lot can change between now and the end of 2021 when Lindor is available but as we stand now with no clear SS of the future I would definitely want Lindor over Betts.

Of course it is unlikely we get him but we should atleast be among the contenders for him, if we aren't than that would make me skeptical about Chris and Al's notion that we are going to be spenders once the time is right cause atleast on paper that seems like the perfect guy and time to spend on. 

When they start spending will be timed around when the young core that they are assembling are in the majors and producing,  not before. So spending for 2022 is probably the best case. I would guess for 2023.

42 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

First they didn't like his fielding technique but he seems to have addressed that, he Ks too much (doesn't everyone?) but he did walk at a reasonable pace at AAA.  Maybe a ceiling at a 1-2 WAR player in there? I could see him bringing similar net value as Iglesias but more bat and less glove in the total? Not the end of the world to play a guy like that -  but first he has to prove he can at least pass Niko.

I think his upside is Omar Infante, which wouldn't be bad, if he can achieve that.

Who graded the draft a C? Fess up and explain. Or confess your allegiance to the White Sox

5 minutes ago, leflore said:

Who graded the draft a C? Fess up and explain. Or confess your allegiance to the White Sox

Debbie Downer Meme GIFs | Tenor

11 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Trei Cruz signs over slot at $900K

What the ****

9 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Trei Cruz signs over slot at $900K

The first indication that Ilitch is willing to put his money where his mouth is... is if we spend 5% more than our allotment and he pays the extra tax...

Cruz was the one pick I wasn't really excited about. Not sure why. All we hear about is is bloodlines. Hopefully he lives up to the billing....... 

1 minute ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Cruz was the one pick I wasn't really excited about. Not sure why. All we hear about is is bloodlines. Hopefully he lives up to the billing....... 

Yeah... I had the same reaction as Shelton.

Why the **** are we going over slot for Cruz? The least interesting pick outta the 6. And to **** with his bloodlines. He still looks like a utility player. At least at this point...

It’s actually fine. I was mostly just joking because he was one we were supposed to get a discount on, but that is all based on uninformed guesswork. This isn’t a surprise to the people that matter in all this. 

this comes to $41K under 1.05% of pool

Tork $8,200,000  
DD $1,950,000 SLOT
Cabrera $1,100,000 SLOT
Cruz $900,000  
Workman $800,000  
Keith $1,000,000  
  $13,950,000  

1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Agree 100%.  So far "bloodlines" is working out for the Blue Jays with Guerrero, Bichette, Biggio, and Gurriel.  In earlier times, Bonds and Griffey weren't bad either, or Jose Cruz Jr. for that matter.  But they had elite talent, well maybe not Biggio we'll see.  I'm not excited about Cruz, he seems like another guy who might not be able to stay at short.  Those guys are not rare.

It's interesting to distinguish "bloodlines" from "nepotism".  You could argue that "bloodlines" didn't amount to much for Colin Kaline or Cam Gibson or Ben Verlander, but they were never intended to.  Those kids were "family" and it's a nice touch, I think, for the organization to give them a chance to play pro baseball, as long as they aren't absolutely horrible.  And Gibson managed to make it quite a long way up the ladder, a nice bonus for him.   

The bloodlines thing was why I thought we drafted Kody Clemens in the 2nd a few years back.   If his name wasn't Clemens I'm not sure he goes that high.   

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The bloodlines thing was why I thought we drafted Kody Clemens in the 2nd a few years back.   If his name wasn't Clemens I'm not sure he goes that high.   

Yea, but isn't Clemens still projected for the starting 2B in the next 2-3 years?

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah pretty interesting that one.  I'm no scout but so far he doesn't seem like a second-rounder.