How would you rate the Tigers 2020 Draft?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Your grade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

20 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think a single player has more impact in hockey

yeah - particularly on defense, and particularly in the Wings' case because the D is so bad that it has a large potential to improve. If you look at it that way and assume Seider is going to be good, in terms of bodies they are only 2-3 more away from a D that could make the rest of team look a lot better than it does now. Thing is even though it's a small number of additional bodies, they don't seem to be in the system yet.

Of course, on the Tigers it's all about the pitching health.  If all those guys stay healthy, for sure the Tigers look like they will be potential world beaters in pretty short order.

18 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't really follow hockey that closely but isn't there supposed to be some potential generational player coming into the draft this year? If so hopefully the Wings can get him.

Don't know as that he is truly generational, but he is thought to be very, very good at a minimum.

Because of how the NHL draft lottery works, the Wings are more likely to pick 4th than 1st, 2nd or 3rd combined.  The Ottawa Senators have the rights to the 2nd *and* 3rd overall pick, and they only have a 35% shot to land him.

So in the end somebody like the 10th worst team will land him because lottery.

I'm not bitter.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah - particularly on defense, and particularly in the Wings' case because the D is so bad that it has a large potential to improve. If you look at it that way and assume Seider is going to be good, in terms of bodies they are only 2-3 more away from a D that could make the rest of team look a lot better than it does now. Thing is even though it's a small number of additional bodies, they don't seem to be in the system yet.

Of course, on the Tigers it's all about the pitching health.  If all those guys stay healthy, for sure the Tigers look like they will be potential world beaters in pretty short order.

Not to get too deep into it, but a very good defenseman can realistically only play 25 minutes a game on average, and if his partner isn't that good, he is limited in what he can do to stem the flow.

Maybe what is more accurate is all things being equal a single hockey player is typically more valuable to his team than a single player in baseball, but the hockey player is more dependent on his linemates or partner to realize the full benefits of his talents?  And a goalie can be supported or sunk by his defensemen, similar as a pitcher and the d behind him.

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Don't know as that he is truly generational, but he is thought to be very, very good.

Because of how the NHL draft lottery works, the Wings are more likely to pick 4th than 1st, 2nd or 3rd combined.  The Ottawa Senators have the rights to the 2nd *and* 3rd overall pick, and they only have a 35% shot to land him.

So in the end somebody like the 10th worst team will land him because lottery.

I'm not bitter.

but lotteries are important to make sure no one tanks or something...

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

And #Deathrage.  Deathrage coming back down to Earth and basically becoming a non factor is one of the most disheartening things to happen in the system for me.  

It's heartbreaking.  I very much wanted Brock Death Rage to bat third for 15 years and then waltz into Cooperstown.

Every reviewer I read gave us an A or A+, so at least we did well in a relative sense.  We clearly needed more bats, so I'm pleased they grabbed some.  Good to get some blue-chippers to promote some competition on the farm.  It also shows how they don't expect much now from 3B Quintana, who we picked in the second round last year.

when Al doesnt do his own scouting and instead just drafts off the top 150 list of internet outlets, he does pretty well!  lol.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

Every reviewer I read gave us an A or A+, so at least we did well in a relative sense.  We clearly needed more bats, so I'm pleased they grabbed some.  Good to get some blue-chippers to promote some competition on the farm.  It also shows how they don't expect much now from 3B Quintana, who we picked in the second round last year.

Maybe, maybe not. 

I think with the lack of bats in the system, drafting BPA is the overall priority.  So many draft picks fall by the wayside along their way.  And if attrition or position change doesn't slim down a spot on the depth chart, there's nothing wrong with having trade bait.

Besides, with the 3 3B that Detroit took, the announcement of Torkelson as a 3B was eye opening, and Workman has played SS before (and maybe has the chops for it).  Maybe these two make the majors on the left side of the infield to begin their careers.  Maybe Quintana bounces back after adjusting to pro ball.  There's usually a decent sized runway from the draft to the bigs.

6 clubs that crushed this year's Draft

1. Tigers

Detroit kicked things off by taking a transcendent offensive player in Arizona State first baseman Spencer Torkelson and will try to extract more defensive value out of him by giving him a chance at third base. Then the Tigers grabbed four more college bats in Ohio State catcher Dillon Dingler (second round), whose arm strength and athleticism stand out; a pair of steady offensive performers in Louisiana State outfielder Danny Cabrera (supplemental second) and Rice shortstop Trei Cruz (third); and Arizona State third baseman Gage Workman (fourth), a switch-hitter with raw power who's also a gifted defender perhaps capable of shifting to shortstop. They wrapped up their effort with Mississippi high school third baseman/right-hander Colt Keith (fifth), who has a chance to hit for power and average and also features a pair of promising pitches in an 89-93 mph fastball and an upper-70s curveball.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

but lotteries are important to make sure no one tanks or something...

Have to discourage the tanks.

Looks like the draft yielded some really good hitters for the Tigers.    Now, to keep them that way, please do not let Legendary Lloyd anywhere near them.     

9 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

Looks like the draft yielded some really good hitters for the Tigers.    Now, to keep them that way, please do not let Legendary Lloyd anywhere near them.     

McClendon is the only Tiger that Keith Law approves of.

Finally a transcendental player.  I am looking forward to seeing some yogic flying in the on-deck circle.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Transcendent?

Now I am tumescent.

I'm luminescent

after eating doritos

Fangraphs has updated their prospect board to include 2020 picks and Torkelson comes in at number 38(3rd in our system) followed by Lacy at 48 and Austin Martin 49.   Hancock, Veen and Gonzalez were the only other 3 to make the top 100 and they all came in towards the back of it after number 75.     

The dude the Orioles took with the 2nd overall pick is number 110.  I know there was strategy behind the Orioles pick and this is just 1 list but kinda weird to not get a top 100 guy with the 2nd overall pick.  

I expected prospect sites to wait until players sign to actually add them to their board

7 minutes ago, leflore said:

I expected prospect sites to wait until players sign to actually add them to their board

Shelton said they all will sign.

7 minutes ago, leflore said:

Technically they didn't add them to the board, they just have a side bar with all the 2020 draft prospects rankings and put where they would fit into their board so I don't think it's anything official.  

9 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Shelton said they all will sign.

I have spoken. 

46 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Is there a place we can see if the Tigers sign any players for $20,000? Anyone know?

MLBRumors and Twitter will cover.  As a reminder, teams can’t start making firm offers until tomorrow morning.

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

MLBRumors and Twitter will cover.  As a reminder, teams can’t start making firm offers until tomorrow morning.

Thanks. I'll have to update my Twitter login....