How would you rate the Tigers 2020 Draft?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Your grade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

absolutely one of the best drafts i've seen from this team in a long time.  it might be because it was only five rounds, but it seems like it was more laser focused.  torkelson was the best impact hitter that you could get in the first round.  he will be a franchise building block for this team.  dillinger in the 2nd round is also another building block.  he is a player that needs reps but he is a good size catcher.  cabrera was the steal of this draft for this team really fired up about that pick. cruz has the bloodlines and seems like a pretty good contact hitter.  workman also looks like a reallly good value pick in that his rating on mlb.com and where he was drafted show we got talent.  overall, tiger fans should be very happy with this collection of college bats.

Unlike other sports unless you are scout who does it for a living or a complete die hard you likely haven't seen much of any of the players, particularly this year so it's hard to really give it a proper evaluation right away but with that said based off the pre draft rankings of various scouts and national pundits along with the scouting reports of the players it would be hard to give it anything other than an A in my opinion.   

• Like 2

I think I like the draft.  I think I like the idea of getting college bats to pair up with the sooner than later pitching prospects, and it doesn't appear that any of the college bats were reaches. 

A mix of lefty/righty/switch hitters with some reasonable combination of on base and power considering which round they were picked in.  Obviously Torkelson is the presumptive known quantity.  But Cabrera sounds like a low maintenance bat to pair with Greene in the future corners of the OF.

Maybe a bit of positional flexibility in there.  Torkelson at 3B?  Dingler behind the plate or move to the OF?  Maybe Workman can build off of his time at SS in the Cape Cod League?  It's unlikely to happen, but did the Tigers just draft a future complete IF, with a C, and a corner OF?

Hopefully they can add some more quality via the undrafted players.  Looking at MLB's top 200 there are still some college players out there that, although they have their warts, did have some degree of possibility of being drafted.

How was it compared to other team's in the AL's draft?

I haven't studied it but I bet the Tigers got more players with great names than other AL teams, despite punting on Spencer Torkelson.

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

This guy gave out only one A+.

Its probably wise to get several different opinions about it, but why get any opinion other than one that gives Detroit an A+?

Apparently we now have Hunter Greene in our system. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Apparently we now have Hunter Greene in our system. 

Good catch, my mind's eye read Hunter as Riley.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I haven't studied it but I bet the Tigers got more players with great names than other AL teams, despite punting on Spencer Torkelson.

Agreed, the Gage Workman and Dillon Dingler picks alone give them an A+ in that category.  

17 minutes ago, Casimir said:

But the team summaries are formatted awful and cut off.

your browser apparently needs a tweak.

And #Deathrage.  Deathrage coming back down to Earth and basically becoming a non factor is one of the most disheartening things to happen in the system for me.  

I read on Fangraphs that they think Workman might be a tough signing cause he would've been a 1st rounder if not for his  rough start this year so he may opt to go back and rebuild his stock for next year. 

If so that would be disappointing not only cause he has an awesome name but I think he could've potentially made a big impact for us.

I have no idea whether it's a good draft, because I know nothing about these players beyond the snippets I have read.  I am happy they drafted all position players since they are lacking in that area.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I have no idea whether it's a good draft, because I know nothing about these players beyond the snippets I have read.  I am happy they drafted all position players since they are lacking in that area.  

the good part for the Tigers recently is they got to pick 1st two times in years when the best player was generally thought of as a little better than the best player in the average year. And indeed Mize did not disappoint at AA and Torkelson appears a very solid bet. And last yr they took Greene and his advancement has already proven to be better than average. So in Mize, Greene and Torkelson they seem to be on pretty solid ground. You only need your draft to produce 1-2 good players a year and when you add in Skubal's potential they are on a solid track for the last three drafts to produce 4 very good players. If anything at all comes from any of the rest  it's just bonus.

I give this draft an incomplete for the next few years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

your browser apparently needs a tweak.

I could use a tweak.

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I give this draft am incomplete for the next few years.  

I like what I see from others in regards to the draft.  So I think they did well (at least according to what I've read).

I think the development aspect of the farm system is another thing separate of the draft. 

20 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I like what I see from others in regards to the draft.  So I think they did well (at least according to what I've read).

I think the development aspect of the farm system is another thing separate of the draft. 

They did well according to prospect writers and rankers, but that is about as reliable as stock picking.   

The Tigers seem to have a better future than the Red Wings, looking 2-3 years out, and I wouldn't have said that 12 months ago.

Its a weird thing comparing the sports.

OOH, I think a single player has more impact in hockey, but OTOH, I think it is easier to paper around a few star players and have a good (but not great) team in baseball.

I guess that is another way of saying the difference between an average and filler player in baseball is smaller than hockey?

Not sure if that is true?  Just my sense of it.

Don't really follow hockey that closely but isn't there supposed to be some potential generational player coming into the draft this year? If so hopefully the Wings can get him.

44 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

They did well according to prospect writers and rankers, but that is about as reliable as stock picking.   

Sure, understood.