Deleterious

Pistons to start GM search

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I wonder if this was known before the GM search started.  Or if this is because he was getting passed over.

in other words, stefanski will remain the one calling the shots and this is really to replace the departing Rose.

How in the **** is Ryan McDonough even considered for the job?  He was brutal in Phoenix.  

Too bad. I thought Rose had potential, bright guy and was starting to build a nice little resume.

James Edwards in The Athletic said the Pistons might pass on hiring a GM and instead hire multiple assistant GM's.

what's the point of hiring a gm if stefanski is the one running the show?

I think it was the James Edwards article, but one of the articles I recently read speculated that yeah Stefanski would still have the final say but he wants to bring in somebody that could bring some new ideas or strategies to the table. 

I took it as that person doesn't quite have free reign but he can come up with potential transactions or moves and just run them by Stefanski. 

I feel like Stefanski is a pretty open minded guy so if we bring in a bright assistant I think he could convince Stefanski to sign off on the stuff he comes up with.

Someone else will do all the legwork and Stefanski will just say yes or no.  Sounds like a sweet gig for Stefanski.

I assume if they just go with 2 assistant GM's then Stefanski will be in charge.  If they go GM and assistant GM he will step back.

A GM never runs the organization.  He usually just runs the basketball side of things.  So in that sense he will always have someone he answers to.   Like Joe did with Tom Wilson.

I looked at the front office directory and what an amazing rabbit hole.   It is unbelievable how many suits work for this organization. 

The NBA operates on a much smaller scale than other sports. The Pistons have 15 players under contract and play less than 50 games a year in their home arena that they lease and don’t have to maintain.  Yet for this operation, they employ 22 people with a VP title or higher.    

The basketball staff has an Owner (Gores) , Vice Chairman (Tellem), Sr. Advisor to the Owner (Stefanski), 2 Associate GM’s, Director Player Personnel, Asst. Director of Player Personnel, Director of Team Operations,  and if all of that wasn’t enough, they have A Chief of Staff to do whatever Andrew Loomis does.   I’m honestly baffled as to why they need to employ a GM.   

Coaching is also heavily inflated for a sport with such a limited roster.    Dwane Casey has 8 people that have an assistant coaching title.  He’s also got a Director of Coaching Analytics, Sr. Director of Basketball Strategy, and a Director or Research.     They also have 7 scouts employed to help manage their 2 or 3 total draft picks every year.   

I don’t know if this is just how the NBA operates and if every franchise is set up the same.   I kind of assume they would be since Gores is a private equity guy who is well versed on spotting organizational redundancies and inefficiencies and eliminating them.

Sounds good to me.  Cant say I know much about him.  But he seems to be well respected.

Doing a little digging on Weaver.  

Washington Wizards: 3 Things to Know About GM Candidate Troy Weaver

He hasn’t been bad in free agency, either. Although Kevin Durant left Oklahoma City, Weaver helped trade for and retain another perennial all-star in Paul George to replace him. Oklahoma City has also been able to consistently find good value via trades or free agency, most recently with Dennis Schroder and Nerlens Noel.

Although Sam Presti ultimately gets the credit for a lot of those moves as the Thunder GM, Presti reportedly handles more of the salary cap side of things while Weaver handles scouting and player relationship. If the Wizards want to attract top talent, there may not be anyone better suited for that job than Weaver.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Detroit already has top talent, so no need to attract more.

Detroit might, but the Pistons do not.

Weaver was hired in 2007.  So we're skipping Russ and Ibaka in 2008 plus Harden in 2009?  Maybe he covered those in a previous Tweet that I missed.

Plus OKC was drafting late most of those years so even finding somebody like Reggie where he did should be seen as a feather in your cap.