Deleterious

Pistons to start GM search

i thought malik rose was doing this job already?

8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i thought malik rose was doing this job already?

He is the assistant GM.  Stefanski has been acting GM.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Hinkie! Hinkie! Hinkie!

Would Tom even allow Hinkie to do a full on, Sixers style tear down and tank? Gores has seemed adverse to doing a full on rebuild.

He is the assistant GM.  Stefanski has been acting GM.  

yeah.  i like how Ed was brought in to run things before they could select a gm.  so ed does a nationwide search and determines that the best man for the job was right there in Ed's office the whole time.

but seriously, they may just promote Rose to fulltime GM.  i wouldnt have a problem with that.  give the guy a shot.

although hinkie would be fun.

41 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Would Tom even allow Hinkie to do a full on, Sixers style tear down and tank? Gores has seemed adverse to doing a full on rebuild.

What tear down?  The Pistons are one of the worst teams in the league.  The tear down has already happened, even if they didn't mean to do it.  But they did it without accumulating any of those pesky assets to use later on to rebuild.  Well done Mr. Gores.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Anyone but Billups.

Dumars?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Dumars?

Yeah, maybe.

I don't have any respect for guys like Billups.  Saying he wants to be a GM but wont leave the cushy TV studio to be an assistant somewhere and learn the ropes.  

I'm fine with Rose.  At least he is out there in the trenches trying to earn his shot.  

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Yeah, maybe.

I don't have any respect for guys like Billups.  Saying he wants to be a GM but wont leave the cushy TV studio to be an assistant somewhere and learn the ropes.  

I'm fine with Rose.  At least he is out there in the trenches trying to earn his shot.  

I'd trust Tayshuan more. He has actually been working his way up in Memphis for a shot at GM.

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

I'd trust Tayshuan more. He has actually been working his way up in Memphis for a shot at GM.

There ya go.  Battier is another one in Miami.  

Just going by the results Miami has had recently and how smart Battier is I could totally get on board with him.   

The Pistons interviewed Battier when Stefanski took over.  I don't think it was for the GM job though.  Possibly the job Rose holds now?

10 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The Pistons interviewed Battier when Stefanski took over.  I don't think it was for the GM job though.  Possibly the job Rose holds now?

Local boy comes home is always a good story.

The Athletic mentions Mark Hughes.  Currently an assistant GM for the Clippers.

It would be funny if he had anything to do with the Blake trade.  Then he gets hired here and has to unravel that mess.  

15 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Local boy comes home is always a good story.

Unless your Jim Har . . . ah forget it!

21 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Yeah, maybe.

21 hours ago, 313DetroitCity said:

I agree, I think they need to go with someone that's been working within an organization's front office already.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The Athletic mentions Mark Hughes.  Currently an assistant GM for the Clippers.

It would be funny if he had anything to do with the Blake trade.  Then he gets hired here and has to unravel that mess.  

Well...... he knew how to trade him once before.

Any competent GM will approach Blake about a buyout.

He has about $74M left on his deal after this season.  See if he will take $40M to walk away.  I think a contender would be willing to take a chance on him at $10M per year.  He is incredibly effective when healthy but will probably need to be limited to 20-25 minutes per game. 

So the $20M a year from Detroit + the $10M a year from a contender means he is losing $6-$7M per year.  That is the price you pay for getting off a terrible team and getting a shot at a ring with a contending team.  Suck it up and try to make do on $30M per year.

Do not stretch him!  I don't want to make a post in 8 years talking about how we just paid Blake his last check.  Take the cap hit the next two years and move on.  We don't need the space anyway. 

• Like 1

Any competent GM will approach Blake about a buyout.

He has about $74M left on his deal after this season.  See if he will take $40M to walk away.  I think a contender would be willing to take a chance on him at $10M per year.  He is incredibly effective when healthy but will probably need to be limited to 20-25 minutes per game. 

So the $20M a year from Detroit + the $10M a year from a contender means he is losing $6-$7M per year.  That is the price you pay for getting off a terrible team and getting a shot at a ring with a contending team.  Suck it up and try to make do on $30M per year.

Do not stretch him!  I don't want to make a post in 8 years talking about how we just paid Blake his last check.  Take the cap hit the next two years and move on.  We don't need the space anyway. 

I do not see any scenario in which they stretch Blake. Not after Josh Smith, and not after putting in so much to get Blake.

the thread on stretching josh smith is still very funny.

This list is 5 guys with front office experience and one guy that played for the Pistons.

I wonder if this was known before the GM search started.  Or if this is because he was getting passed over.