The Ronz

20 Years of Motownsports!

On 5/18/2020 at 6:19 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Montana, I believe.

He moved to Florida a year or so ago. Sent me all of his philosophy books because he’s one righteous dude.

6 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

He moved to Florida a year or so ago. Sent me all of his philosophy books because he’s one righteous dude.

OMG! Did he fall under the sway of some kind of cult? Nobody gives away their philosophy books! 

Then again, I should have more confidence in the rationality of anyone who slogged through Critique of Pure Reason.

• Like 1

I joined in June 2004 when the Tigers’ “fast start“ that season aroused me from my slumbers. I had never found anything on the Internet that peaked my interest enough to really get my head back in the game. And living over 2000 miles away from Detroit for 30+ years at the time made the team easy to ignore in addition to the fact that they sucked and blew at the same time

I almost gave up because the only thing I had really discovered was Mlive which was pretty much people hanging out in the bus station spitin’ and pick in’ their noses. Then one day the clouds parted, a great beam of light came down from the sky, and a fiery chariot with a jewel encrusted old English D on it drawn by unicorns swept down and landed in front of me and handed me the URL of this site. 

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

OMG! Did he fall under the sway of some kind of cult? Nobody gives away their philosophy books! 

Then again, I should have more confidence in the rationality of anyone who slogged through Critique of Pure Reason.

He said he just got tired of packing them over and over again for multiple moves. He may also have momentarily given up on that part of his life as well. Although that’s just a guess. I shed hundreds of books once for that reason. If he ever contacts me and expresses regret I’ll be happy to send them back to him. Because I am also a righteous dude. 

6 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

He said he just got tired of packing them over and over again for multiple moves. He may also have momentarily given up on that part of his life as well. Although that’s just a guess. I shed hundreds of books once for that reason. If he ever contacts me and expresses regret I’ll be happy to send them back to him. Because I am also a righteous dude. 

I worked my way through school in the shipping/receiving dept of the student bookstore. I think I could still pack books in my sleep.

I joined in 2007 after reading a story about the connection between Granderson and Brian. They posted the URL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started lurking here and some at WSI in 2005/6 but didn't register/post here for a long time, 2010 ( I think). Sportz would show up on MLive (at that time Tom Kowalski was at MLive and he was a big draw) and encourage people to come here. I think Romad and I started posting about the same time. MLive is gone, this place is still going pretty good and WSI appears to be a ghost town.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:18 AM, Casimir said:

I recall hearing about MTS from @RedRamage when we were posting at some Tigers usenet site.  I think a few of you had mentioned posting there before. 

I remember Nitkowski would post to an AOL Tiger message board from time to time also.  I think there was an article in Baseball Weekly about Nitkowski and the merging of baseball with the internet (pretty sure the term "social media" hadn't been coined yet).

As you may remember, I was on that AOL board for a few years too.  It was good for a while, but then the board got overrun by jerks.  So, I looked for a new site and ended up here.  I remember CJ there.  One day I went on a text wall rant and he e-mailed me wanting to know what the **** I was talking about.  I told him it was a joke.  

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I got rid of my philosophy books (more Plato than anything else).  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I got rid of my philosophy books (more Plato than anything else).  

No! Between all the dialogues and The Republic I honestly have more than I can ever handle.

16 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

No! Between all the dialogues and The Republic I honestly have more than I can ever handle.

to be honest, I don't get why anyone has much cared for all these years about Plato's prescription for designing a city state for the express purpose of defeating Sparta militarily. Sparta may have won the battle, but Athens as it was has long since won history. 🤔 

:wink:

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I started lurking here and some at WSI in 2005/6 but didn't register/post here for a long time, 2010 ( I think). Sportz would show up on MLive (at that time Tom Kowalski was at MLive and he was a big draw) and encourage people to come here. I think Romad and I started posting about the same time. MLive is gone, this place is still going pretty good and WSI appears to be a ghost town.

I used to post on WSI too.  Once I went to mostly mobile, first with tapatalk, they just fell off my my radar.  It was fun during the rivalry days.  I always said if I were from Chicago I would be a sox fan instead of Cubs.  To me the Cubs are the Palace of Auburn Hills, Sox are Joe Louis Arena. 

On 5/20/2020 at 5:18 AM, Casimir said:

I recall hearing about MTS from @RedRamage when we were posting at some Tigers usenet site.  I think a few of you had mentioned posting there before. 

good ol' alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers. I doubt I posted much there, but I certainly read a lot of it from maybe 1998 through about 2002 or 2003. I remember you, Corky, Yooper, Chas, and OMF. (and, of course, Grapes—not that he's here, obviously.)

I bought a house in 2002 and downgraded my cable from the package that included FSD. watched the 2006 playoffs and WS. got FSD again at the tail end of 2008 and joined here in 2010.

12 hours ago, tiger337 said:

As you may remember, I was on that AOL board for a few years too.  It was good for a while, but then the board got overrun by jerks.  So, I looked for a new site and ended up here.  I remember CJ there.  One day I went on a text wall rant and he e-mailed me wanting to know what the **** I was talking about.  I told him it was a joke.  

I remember both you and CJ from there.  Good grief, that was a long time ago.

7 hours ago, jbhappy said:

good ol' alt.sports.baseball.detroit-tigers. I doubt I posted much there, but I certainly read a lot of it from maybe 1998 through about 2002 or 2003. I remember you, Corky, Yooper, Chas, and OMF. (and, of course, Grapes—not that he's here, obviously.)

I bought a house in 2002 and downgraded my cable from the package that included FSD. watched the 2006 playoffs and WS. got FSD again at the tail end of 2008 and joined here in 2010.

I can't imagine that's still in existence anymore, can it?  Maybe it morphed into something else.

On 5/20/2020 at 2:30 PM, Blue Square Thing said:

I'm so tempted to google Perky Amy.

She was the new face of the website and started out very happy and inviting. Then people started questioning certain restrictions and she became Professor Umbridge.

I originally joined in 2009 after ESPN started changing their boards, then forgot my password and been under this account since 2011.  Wish I knew about this before cause I used to frequent other Detroit boards since like 2000 (pistonstalk.com and Lionstalk.com come to mind) but ever since I came here this one is so much better.  Posters are more knowledgeable(for the most part) and respectful(again for the most part) than any other board I frequented.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Casimir said:

I can't imagine that's still in existence anymore, can it?  Maybe it morphed into something else.

I'm sure it's still technically there and will be as long as usenet exists. as for whether there's any non-spam content, well, that's probably another story. I wonder if SkippyPB is still posting game summaries.

22 minutes ago, jbhappy said:

I'm sure it's still technically there and will be as long as usenet exists. as for whether there's any non-spam content, well, that's probably another story. I wonder if SkippyPB is still posting game summaries.

Do dedicated usenet servers still exist? Didn't most of the usenet fora get moved to web servers and absorbed into Google or Yahoo or some such at some point?

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Do dedicated usenet servers still exist? Didn't most of the usenet fora get moved to web servers and absorbed into Google or Yahoo or some such at some point?

most ISPs have given it up. there are still some small, independent things like eternalseptember.org(?) and whatever I used most recently (can't remember what it was, though may have been eternalseptember). not sure if commercial services like Supernews and Giganews are still around. I suppose I could check, but I'm busy doing more productive things like watching the Tigers lose and wrestling with jQuery for a personal project (i. e. not getting paid).

A lot of companies still sell usenet access.  It is pretty big for pirated movies/shows/music/games now.

Usenet was my first introduction to the internet around 1991. I found a site where random people were talking about Major League Baseball.  A couple people even mentioned the Tigers.  I thought it was the best thing ever.  

Just now, tiger337 said:

Usenet was my first introduction to the internet around 1991. I found a site where random people were talking about Major League Baseball.  A couple people even mentioned the Tigers.  I thought it was the best thing ever.  

I started on Compuserve. Then there was good group of people on alt.rec.bicyles.tech, 

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

A lot of companies still sell usenet access.  It is pretty big for pirated movies/shows/music/games now.

Thanks for the tip. 

World crossing morphed into another site and last time I check it’s like two or three people posting once a week or so.