8 hours ago, Buddha said:

**** the nhl.

and **** lotteries.  theyre stupid.

Correct.

8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Draft spots gained/lost since 2016

draft spots lost.jpg

To be fair, the worst teams are in the position of not being able to gain many spots and are likely to lose spots.

Teams that just miss the play-offs are able potentially to gain several spots and rarely lose spots.

Which I suppose is another way of saying this system is ham-fisted.  The worst teams can really only lose ground and the poor to mediocre can only gain ground.

On a positive note, Lucas Raymond looks like a **** of a prospect that may be NHL ready right now.   

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

On a positive note, Lucas Raymond looks like a **** of a prospect that may be NHL ready right now.   

But didnt do much in the SHL, did he? I'd almost be tempted to trade down although I doubt there is anyone badly wanted enough at #4 for teams to offer much.

The Kings really need defense, I've heard Drysdale is the next Bobby Orr, his name fits for L.A., how about you guys bypass Byfield and Stutzle and pick him instead :)

Yzerman looked pissed and frustrated last night, but then again he didn't push hard a month ago when it looked for awhile the lottery system would revert for this year only to the old system of not being able to drop more than one spot. For some reason, Yzerman said he didn't support that, even though it clearly would have been in the Wings' best interest.

45 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Marco!..............Rossi!

Gooooaaaaallll!  

It seems like a bunch of players could go anywhere from #4-#10.  Given what Yzerman did last year, I'd say there's only a 50% chance or less that Yzerman goes with the conventional pick of either Raymond or Drysdale. Rossi? Perfetti? Sanderson?  Even goalie Askarov (gulp)? Whoever they pick, expect it to be considered a strong but non-sure thing prospect, like Zadina/Rasmussen/Seider.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

To be fair, the worst teams are in the position of not being able to gain many spots and are likely to lose spots.

Teams that just miss the play-offs are able potentially to gain several spots and rarely lose spots.

Which I suppose is another way of saying this system is ham-fisted.  The worst teams can really only lose ground and the poor to mediocre can only gain ground.

True. 

I don't have a problem with a draft lottery. I think dropping 1 or 2 spots and moving up 3 or 4 spots is fine, but a bit too wide for my liking under the current system.

Only 2 teams with the worst records have won the lottery in the last 10 years(Toronto in '16 and Buffalo in '18)

Guys like Makar and Marner have been obtained with the 4th pick in recent years.

And Detroit has 6 picks in the first 3 rounds including three 2nd rounders. I'll bet the draft's success will be determined by those 3 guys.

Anyways, I think we are pretty close to a 40 year low point for the Wings. Not a lot to show for missing the playoffs 4 straight years.  Yzerman needs to start trading assets. No one is untouchable. 

18 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Anyways, I think we are pretty close to a 40 year low point for the Wings. Not a lot to show for missing the playoffs 4 straight years.  Yzerman needs to start trading assets. No one is untouchable. 

The past 3 years weren’t on his watch and he was pretty clear when he took the job that it wasn’t a quick fix.    His plan will take a few more years.   If they aren’t moving forward after next year (which will be hard not to) then maybe he does start to really shake things up.    Definitely so if they aren’t contending for playoffs at the end of 2022.  I do agree at some point soon he’s going to have to decide where Larkin and Mantha fit into his long term puzzle 

Lafreniere's skating is said to be average.. to me, that's a concern. In today's game a guy like Perfetti or Rossi might have higher eventual ceilings as they skate very well and have high end offensive games.  Rossi seems to be in that Dats, Z and now Larkin mode of having a 200ft game.

Drysdale is an  exciting prospect as well, but he needs to work on his shot a bit apparently.

For me...it's Drysdale or Rossi at 4.  Unless the Kings take Drysdale...then I would take whichever of the top three calls to us at 4.

Rossi is small bu sturdy. Perfetti and Raymond may have more room for growth and maturation as they are younger.

The more video I see of Raymond, the more I like him as well

2 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Rossi is small bu sturdy. Perfetti and Raymond may have more room for growth and maturation

sound like you are discussing Italian red wines.....

Great...now I want wine and  I'm here at the office...Thank you!

On 7/1/2020 at 5:28 PM, Lei Pong said:

Rossi is small bu sturdy. Perfetti and Raymond may have more room for growth and maturation as they are younger.

The more video I see of Raymond, the more I like him as well

Perfetti doesn't skate very well, but his skill level is up there, and he's a candidate for 4th. Also I like Drysdale, since he would fit into the power play much better than what the Wings have now.

leaning toward the defenseman...

in hindsight, should we have taken hughes over zadina?

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

in hindsight, should we have taken hughes over zadina?

Most likely, yes.  But apparently Hughes wasn't even the Wings' highest rated defender left so I try not to think about it too much...  Zadina is still going to be a good player in my mind, but Hughes is pretty electric so far in his career. 

29 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Most likely, yes.  But apparently Hughes wasn't even the Wings' highest rated defender left so I try not to think about it too much...  Zadina is still going to be a good player in my mind, but Hughes is pretty electric so far in his career. 

How does Drysdale compare to Hughes?

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

How does Drysdale compare to Hughes?

I honestly don't know enough to tell you about Drysdale.  I used to follow the prospects a lot more closely, but I haven't for various reasons over the last few seasons.  For example, I watched a total of zero minutes of Seider before the Wings drafted him, and I'm in love with the pick now haha.   If I told you I did anything outside of I watched a decent amount of Lafreniere video I would just be regurgitating a couple articles I've read.

The field for tomorrow’s Lafreniere lottery. In order from most palatable to least:

Florida

Winnipeg

Nashville

Minnesota

New York Rangers 

Edmonton

Pittsburgh

Toronto

It is frankly bananas to me that some of those teams can get the #1 overall pick in terms of the talent they already have.

I guess the board of governors is gonna board of governor.

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The field for tomorrow’s Lafreniere lottery. In order from most palatable to least:

Florida

Winnipeg

Nashville

Minnesota

New York Rangers 

Edmonton

Pittsburgh

Toronto

We riot if Edmonton gets the #1 overall pick, yes?