djhutch

MLB Cutting 42 Minor League Franchises

15 hours ago, tiger337 said:

It is near me.  They have sold out almost every game for years and now they are losing their NY Penn League team.  Rumor has it that they are going to still have a team in a different league, so I am hoping it's the Eastern League with the Tigers, although I know it's a long short.  I actually haven't been going to too many of their games because they have overdone the music and entertainment to the point of absurdity, but if the Tigers are playing there I would deal with it.  

I don't think the park in Lowell meets the minimum capacity expectations of the Eastern League/Double-A, and there's not much room to expand at that location.

4 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

I don't think the park in Lowell meets the minimum capacity expectations of the Eastern League/Double-A, and there's not much room to expand at that location.

Pensacola of the Southern League has a seating capacity of 5,038.  Lowell has a capacity of 5,030.  Erie has a capacity of 6,000.  So, they would definitely be on the low side.  I think they will end up with an Independent League team.  

15 hours ago, tiger337 said:

It is near me.  They have sold out almost every game for years and now they are losing their NY Penn League team.  Rumor has it that they are going to still have a team in a different league, so I am hoping it's the Eastern League with the Tigers, although I know it's a long short.  I actually haven't been going to too many of their games because they have overdone the music and entertainment to the point of absurdity, but if the Tigers are playing there I would deal with it.  

The minor-league hockey team in Boise became like that too. They used to have a packed house 5000+ every game but with the 2008 economic collapse they lost a ton of season ticket owners and the music and entertainment reached the point of absurdity there as well. All the time they were showing fighting on their Jumbotron and the announcer was shouting “are you ready to rumble?“ Really appealing to the lowest common denominator of people that are so stupid they only go to a hockey game for the fighting. Comparing this great Olympic sport to the low-rent spectacle of professional wrestling is deplorable.

4 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

The minor-league hockey team in Boise became like that too. They used to have a packed house 5000+ every game but with the 2008 economic collapse they lost a ton of season ticket owners and the music and entertainment reached the point of absurdity there as well. All the time they were showing fighting on their Jumbotron and the announcer was shouting “are you ready to rumble?“ Really appealing to the lowest common denominator of people that are so stupid they only go to a hockey game for the fighting. Comparing this great Olympic sport to the low-rent spectacle of professional wrestling is deplorable.

Its kind of funny to hear this description of Steelhead hockey.  Boise is in the same league as Toledo (ECHL).  Toledo has been in the ECHL since 1991.  Early on, the brand of Toledo hockey was pretty much goonfest in a cramped 5K stadium built circa 1950.  Toledo supended operations for two seasons in the late 2000s to build a new and larger arena as well as rebrand itself as a more family friendly form of entertainment.

4 hours ago, Microline133 said:

Because of the expectations for AAA and AA parks and the fact that currently all MLB teams having only one team at each of those levels, is it probably that those levels might not have very much movement (at least as far as those current 60 teams likely remaining as the 60 teams next season)?  Erie was called out, right?  So I guess that'd be 1 of the 60 voted off of the island.