djhutch

MLB Cutting 42 Minor League Franchises

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

TBH, If its NY/LA do you think TPTB will care if they got there playing 480 ball?

They'll be quick to downplay the regular season records.  They'll try to affix a caveat to the regular season while simultaneously try to not affix an asterisk to the whole season (regular & posteason).

13 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Which is what they want.

2/3 of the teams or more with a reasonable chance at the play-offs to goose interest / attendance.

Correct.  I still hate it.  I think it's the worst thing they have done to the game since I have been a fan.  Maybe not though.  Killing the minor leagues might be worse.  

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Correct.  I still hate it.  I think it's the worst thing they have done to the game since I have been a fan.  Maybe not though.  Killing the minor leagues might be worse.  

When there is less exposure to live professional baseball all over the country, baseball simply becomes just another show on TV, just another entertainment option. There’ll be nothing special about its visceral tangibility, it’s cross-generational “we’re going to a real game!“ elan vital that is one of those church-like experiences in smaller cities.

The idea that Ken Griffey Jr. among countless other players cruised through Boise, Idaho, or that if I had lived here at the time I could’ve seen Ricky Henderson in his first season of minor league ball at what was virtually a high school Pioneer League field is thrilling and makes baseball more than just another show. 

Saint Paul Saints independent lg is starting with limited fans. The early games are being played in south dakota then eventually back here in St Paul. Not sure why it's in SD. 

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

When there is less exposure to live professional baseball all over the country, baseball simply becomes just another show on TV, just another entertainment option. There’ll be nothing special about its visceral tangibility, it’s cross-generational “we’re going to a real game!“ elan vital that is one of those church-like experiences in smaller cities.

The idea that Ken Griffey Jr. among countless other players cruised through Boise, Idaho, or that if I had lived here at the time I could’ve seen Ricky Henderson in his first season of minor league ball at what was virtually a high school Pioneer League field is thrilling and makes baseball more than just another show. 

I have been to quite a few minor league parks and those fans appear have a different kind of connection to their teams.  There seems to be a higher percentage of knowledgeable fans at those games than at MLB games where you get a lot of fans who go just because it's the thing to do.  I can't back that up at all, just my impression.  And yes the idea of being able to remember seeing a future major leaguer play in a cheap low level park is appealing.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I have been to quite a few minor league parks and those fans appear have a different kind of connection to their teams.  There seems to be a higher percentage of knowledgeable fans at those games than at MLB games where you get a lot of fans who go just because it's the thing to do.  I can't back that up at all, just my impression.  And yes the idea of being able to remember seeing a future major leaguer play in a cheap low level park is appealing.  

At minor league games you see people with scorecards. You see hard-core baseball fans. You see young kids who are really into baseball. I don’t go to too many games but there’s all sorts of people who seem to know each other because they’re there are a lot. But not this year. I doubt if the northwest league will play at all this year. 

• Like 1

There is definitely a feel for community in the lower rungs of the minor league towns. We attended eight games in the Appalachian League last year. Most of the fans knew each other and would greet each other at first sight. Several folks we met had hosted players over the years. The staffs of these teams bend over backwards to accommodate the fans. For several of these towns the ball team is the only show in town during the summer evenings. The games are almost a social club of sorts for some of these folks as they love the camaraderie of what the ball park offers. Sadly, this league has probably played its last games. We met some very nice folks there last year. I really hate it for the towns that will no longer have a local team. It really is a shame.

8 minutes ago, 1776 said:

There is definitely a feel for community in the lower rungs of the minor league towns. We attended eight games in the Appalachian League last year. Most of the fans knew each other and would greet each other at first sight. Several folks we met had hosted players over the years. The staffs of these teams bend over backwards to accommodate the fans. For several of these towns the ball team is the only show in town during the summer evenings. The games are almost a social club of sorts for some of these folks as they love the camaraderie of what the ball park offers. Sadly, this league has probably played its last games. We met some very nice folks there last year. I really hate it for the towns that will no longer have a local team. It really is a shame.

Yeah, it's a shame.  There is definitely a feeling of community in the low minors that I don't sense at higher levels including the majors

On 4/26/2020 at 12:04 PM, Lei Pong said:

Whitecaps to AA?

I seriously doubt it.  One of the goals driving the change is to reduce travel at the minor league level. If you look at where most of the AA teams are located,  I believe there is where you'll see a new location.  I think Erie was kind of "out of the nucleus" for what they have in mind. That may have factored in their selection for elimination

I don’t see how Erie was any more out of nucleus as Portland or Richmond in the Eastern League. Binghamton is the other EL team on the cut list. I’m led to believe the facility itself has a lot to do with it. That’s why I don’t understand Erie being on the list. I know they’re spending a lot of money on the park. I really hope the MiLB future is decided soon. 

Saint Paul loves the Saints. Maybe even more than thr Twins