djhutch

MLB Cutting 42 Minor League Franchises

Any other source besides OvertimeHeroics.net?

When that TV show "Amish Mafia" was on, my go to joke was "They whack you by boring you to death"

So some teams will have a AA club and some won't?

Has any minor league team ever had a Green Hornet night?

This pandemic is going to usher in and\or accelerate changes a number of industries.  Those who aren't prepared to accept that are in for a world of hurt

I felt it a couple of days ago when I learned that my father's small pharmacy went out of business.  His prescriptions were just about to run out, so I had to scramble to straighten things out with the new pharmacy.  The small businesses (like MiLB) are going to suffer some permanent hits.     

There's a diner type restaurant my wife and I have gone to every Saturday for nearly ten years. They are doing a bang-up delivery business. Most weekends I can't even get through on the phone to leave an order. I have to go and order there, then wait the 20 or so minutes. But it's worth it. Meanwhile, a bunch of other restaurants that are not as good are just going to shut down.

It occurred to me that once those restaurants do close, that's going to put more pressure on those restaurants I like that stay open. So it will be even longer waits for takeout.

That's the America of the near-future: less choice, fewer options.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

That's the America of the near-future: less choice, fewer options.

And the good places that stay in business will get more business and ultimately will sacrifice quality for quantity.   

Just now, tiger337 said:

And the good places that stay in business will get more business and ultimately will sacrifice quality for quantity.   

That's starting to happen with this cafe: the omelets are smaller, the mistakes are increasing, etc. At least the people are still nice.

In the short term...we may have fewer choices, but eventually...if there's a market for something, someone will find a way to fill it.  A number of small town retailers were decimated as Wal-Mart expanded.  Over time, the market became educated to the quality issues with the merch Wal-Mart offers and the people who work there.  This has lead to a resurgence of smaller,local retailers in a number of towns.  I imagine the same thing will happen in the dining industry.  The pandemic will kill off the weak, the strong will either have to expand their capacity while maintaining quality or face competition from people who can.

16 hours ago, chasfh said:

Any other source besides OvertimeHeroics.net?

That's the only one I saw .. I have no earthly idea whether it can be trusted .. Honestly, the writing was sophomoric & drew conclusions as to MLB's motivation I thought were weak, at best .. I do think it's being discussed though, & having worked for a minor league team for a while I thought I'd post it simply because of the impact it could have in these smaller towns.

I do wonder though, if MiLB does contract, if that will help some of the independent league teams.

8 hours ago, leflore said:

So some teams will have a AA club and some won't?

Has any minor league team ever had a Green Hornet night?

Every MLB team will have a triple A team, a double A team, a high A team, and a Low A team.

The players that will be affected most imo are the long term AAA veterans over 25 years old. The KBO, Aussie, Japan and even China will gain talent long term imo.

5 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

The players that will be affected most imo are the long term AAA veterans over 25 years old. The KBO, Aussie, Japan and even China will gain talent long term imo.

Good call on Asia.

I don’t know whether Australia benefits as much since they play out of season and they have a super short season. Right now they draw mostly indy league, NAIA and Division III players, and undrafted guys, so they might get a better class of player who won’t be able to chase their dream before crapping out in the low minors anymore. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Good call on Asia.

I don’t know whether Australia benefits as much since they play out of season and they have a super short season. Right now they draw mostly indy league, NAIA and Division III players, and undrafted guys, so they might get a better class of player who won’t be able to chase their dream before crapping out in the low minors anymore. 

I've watched some Aussie league ball on MLB network, and they get all Aussies, and some AAA players. I think they have an advantage based on their shorter season, but they also have the most room to grow. That said, the quality of baseball is pretty good.

Look for more little independent leagues like the one we have in Utica.    One of those players started a playoff game in the Majors.     I could see the big league teams paying independent teams to play young players.  It would probably save them money to focus on a fewer players, but you'd better improve your scouting departments.  

I wish baseball would implement euro-style relegation and promotion. Theres no shortage of independent or semi-pro teams that could form their own league. Teams can't just bank on TV money, they have to compete or lose their spot.

With some teams releasing minor league players at record numbers, I hope the Tiger scouting department is working overtime.   I have my doubts, though. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 1:57 PM, FloridaTigers said:

I wish baseball would implement euro-style relegation and promotion. Theres no shortage of independent or semi-pro teams that could form their own league. Teams can't just bank on TV money, they have to compete or lose their spot.

I don't get the love so many sports fans have for relegation. It's dumb. 

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I don't get the love so many sports fans have for relegation. It's dumb. 

I like it! 

relegation adds excitement at the bottom of the league and eliminates tanking.  in market terms, it punishes failure and rewards success.