Motor City Sonics

2020 Draft AS IT HAPPENS thread.

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Lots of revisionist history happens Donald. At the time, nobody thought they'd lose both DT in the next 12 months. One, maybe, but even that wasn't likely. Everyone would have been after them using pick 10 on a backup in a year they needed to win.

Donald was also no slam dunk (hence why he was there at pick 10 and even that many considered that early) and there is no guaranteed he develops the same way sitting in year 1. 

Speaking of revisionist history.

They'd kicked Suh's contract down the line so many times that they would have had to break the bank or let him walk.  Fairley was considered a disappointment and was only occasionally living up to expectations.  If the team defense was structured around a dominant defensive line, then finding the next Suh was probably a good move.

And again, lets not forget about Odell Beckham or Taylor Lewan who were drafted right after Ebron.

I can't even believe people are still arguing about the Ebron pick.

26 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Speaking of revisionist history.

They'd kicked Suh's contract down the line so many times that they would have had to break the bank or let him walk.  Fairley was considered a disappointment and was only occasionally living up to expectations.  If the team defense was structured around a dominant defensive line, then finding the next Suh was probably a good move.

And again, lets not forget about Odell Beckham or Taylor Lewan who were drafted right after Ebron.

I can't even believe people are still arguing about the Ebron pick.

Nobody thinks Ebron was a good/right pick. Nobody. 

I'm just addressing the Donald stuff. He was the least likely of the three given everything we had going on and the expectations at the time. Heck look at our 2014 depth chart and there was no reason to draft a DT. They had two good ones, with two good backups. The belief was the Lions were going to resign Suh, and they nearly did. He actually took less money to leave. Fairley was coming off a 15 game, 6 sack season. So even if Suh left, we had his replacement in house.

Not to mention they had just spend three of the last four first round picks on the defensive line. Now they should have spend a fourth in five years, on a backup? You would have killed them for that kind of roster management/use of resources. 

Come on, if you're gonna look back at least do it right. 

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Nobody thinks Ebron was a good/right pick. Nobody. 

I'm just addressing the Donald stuff. He was the least likely of the three given everything we had going on and the expectations at the time. Heck look at our 2014 depth chart and there was no reason to draft a DT. They had two good ones, with two good backups. The belief was the Lions were going to resign Suh, and they nearly did. Fairley was coming off a 15 game, 6 sack season. Come on if you're gonna look back at least do it right. 

Suh and Fairley were both on the last years of their contracts and because they had booted Suh's contract down the road so many times it was impossible to franchise him.  Again, Fairley was considered a disappointment and wasn't likely to be re-signed (and he wasn't).    The idea of drafting Donald to replace either one of them (or both of them as seeing Suh re-sign here was no given) was definitely in play at the time.

And I don't remember people assuming Suh would re-sign.  I remember most people thinking he would leave.

The team's defensive success was built on a strong Dline.   To continue that success, drafting a pass rushing DT would make a lot of sense.

If we end up with a full scale rebuild and have to tare this whole thing down, if someone offered you a 1st round pick for Kenny Golladay would you take it? I would take it given that a rebuild is likely a 3 years and Golladay would be 29 at that point in time.

The Okudah pick was strange in the sense that we all know that CBs struggle their first first year in the league and even the ones that don't are usually just merely average that first year so you would've thought Quinn would've taken the player most likely to make an impact right away considering the narrative that his job could be on the line this year.

It kinda makes you wonder if he had some reassurance from management, or he's just an idiot who paid no attention to NFL history and just assumed Okudah would be different from virtually every other corner who has came in the league.   

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we end up with a full scale rebuild and have to tare this whole thing down, if someone offered you a 1st round pick for Kenny Golladay would you take it? I would take it given that a rebuild is likely a 3 years and Golladay would be 29 at that point in time.

i would take a #1 pick for golladay in a new york minute.

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Okudah pick was strange in the sense that we all know that CBs struggle their first first year in the league and even the ones that don't are usually just merely average that first year so you would've thought Quinn would've taken the player most likely to make an impact right away considering the narrative that his job could be on the line this year.

It kinda makes you wonder if he had some reassurance from management, or he's just an idiot who paid no attention to NFL history and just assumed Okudah would be different from virtually every other corner who has came in the league.   

i dont think its that complicated.  i think they needed a cornerback desperately and okudah was the top ranked corner.  he was the obvious pick, imo.